Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Finals: Los Angeles Lakers vs Orlando Magic

M

Matt Young

I was worried last night during the first half, but obviously the 3rd quarter was the turning point. Kobe hadn't been too great from the field, but from the middle of the 3rd on, he turned it up. Trevor Ariza was really good in the 2nd, and Derek Fisher finally showed us that clutch shooting ability we all knew he had.

That being said, I thought the Magic blew the game with their free throw shooting. Regardless, that was a big, big win for LA. Now I kind of hope Orlando wins on Sunday so my prediction of 6 can be accurate, and so the Lakers can celebrate at home.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Young said:
Now I kind of hope Orlando wins on Sunday so my prediction of 6 can be accurate, and so the Lakers can celebrate at home.
NononononononoNO. A million times no. That's horrible thinking. You only care about the title, you don't care where you fucking celebrate.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's 3-1. I doubt Los Angeles blows the tail end of the series if they let Orlando win on Sunday. And Kobe does need the rest badly.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Next USC #55 said:
It's 3-1. I doubt Los Angeles blows the tail end of the series if they let Orlando win on Sunday. And Kobe does need the rest badly.
Pretty sure he can get all the rest he wants after clinching on Sunday.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
But why run him out in Game 5 where he'll be fatigued and you won't be guaranteed the win? Then you have a tired team still going into Los Angeles to finish up the series? I'd be okay with punting one game if it meant having the Lakers at full strength, at home, to destroy the Magic.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Why not just have them full force and win in Game 5? I've never seen such a good team's fanbase make so many excuses. "Tired"? Really? It's the fucking finals. Kobe can suck it up for one more game.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Because you don;t want to give the other team any hope that they can pull out the series, that's why. The Lakers have floated before and its almost cost them dearly. They had better choke the Magic out in game 5. This winning on your home floor take is utter shite. You win the series the first chance you get.

Resting Kobe? Fuck that.. he had better use everything he has left, because as we have all seen, the Magic can be very dangerous when their shots are falling and Dwight is making his free throws. The only time to rest Kobe is if the Magic come out in game 5 and blow them out from the get go, they're up say 25 points and its about three or four minutes into the 4th quarter, and its obvious the Magic are not going to let the Lakers back in it, or the Lakers can't throw the ball in the ocean.

There is no guarantee of a game 5 win even if everyone was at full strength. Of course most Laker fans would love to see them win it on their home floor, but momentum is a funny thing. The Magic are in a rear naked choke applied by the Lakers, and they had BETTER choke them out.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Porter and Matt Young are both really stupid.

You never let a team back in the series. Will LA be fine if they lose Game 5? Most likely, sure. But you never know what's going to happen, and to even consider punting a game is mental retardation of the highest order.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How is being confident in Los Angeles winning ONE out of three being stupid? That doesn't make sense. I understand the whole killer instinct angle you guys are talking about, but it should not even matter. Look at the ECF, The Cavs were down 3-1, and won Game 5, what happened then? Orlando put on the final beatdown to end the series the very NEXT game. Los Angeles is capable of the same thing.

And Bob, way to get yourself over here. You have not made a peep, but conveniently pop in to call me stupid. Don't you have some C-listers to stalk?

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Teams have come back from 3-1 deficits in series before. It's the FINALS, fatigue should not be an issue in the least.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How is being confident in Los Angeles winning ONE out of three being stupid? That doesn't make sense. I understand the whole killer instinct angle you guys are talking about, but it should not even matter. Look at the ECF, The Cavs were down 3-1, and won Game 5, what happened then? Orlando put on the final beatdown to end the series the very NEXT game. Los Angeles is capable of the same thing.

Duh. Orlando's probably cooked here, but to suggest that the Lakers should rest any players or punt a game away is asinine. 3-1 leads have been blown before. I know, my teams have blown them many times.

And Bob, way to get yourself over here. You have not made a peep, but conveniently pop in to call me stupid. Don't you have some C-listers to stalk?

C-listers to stalk? Dude, I only stalk the A-list. How dare you. Who is trying to get themselves now?

And I have not made a peep, because in order to make a peep about the games, you have to watch them. Which I have not. But I do know that suggesting anything other than the Lakers do all they can to win Game 5 is stupid.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My apologies. Those C-listers must be thanking their lucky stars they are beneath your stalking.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Funnily enough, the level of celebrity I stalk doesn't change the fact that you made a stupid point

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Next USC #55 said:
Score one for the eunuch in his everlasting quest to outwit Porter.

When one doesn't have a point to make, resort to attacks to hide said lack of point.

I would respond to being called a eunuch, but that'd require me to look up what that means. So, hah!

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ignoring for a minute how stupid it would be to throw away games in the championship round, who's going to be the one to tell Kobe he's not playing (or even playing light minutes) in Game 5?

M

Matt Young

To clarify, I never said I wanted the Lakers to tank the game. That would be retarded. I simply said I "kind of hope Orlando wins on Sunday so the Lakers can celebrate at home." I never suggested the team should give anything less than 110%.

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Matt Young said:
To clarify, I never said I wanted the Lakers to tank the game. That would be retarded. I simply said I "kind of hope Orlando wins on Sunday so the Lakers can celebrate at home." I never suggested the team should give anything less than 110%.
OK, but that still presupposes that the Lakers are pretty much guaranteed to win one at home. The Magic can still come back and win this thing, it's not unheard of. I want the Lakers to drive the stake through their hearts now. I don't live in LA, so I could care less where they win it. Besides, they get a parade either way, celebrate there.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I simply said I "kind of hope Orlando wins on Sunday so the Lakers can celebrate at home." I never suggested the team should give anything less than 110%.

That's still a retarded statement to make. You kind of hope your team loses in the NBA finals so hopefully you can see them win in the title while fans cheer them, even though you won't even be at a game. That's just awful.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Seriously, I never got this "I hope we win at home" mentality. It's fun to hwar the opposing crowd being miserable at your team's expense, anyways.

Staff member
Reaction score
Either way we are going to win the series and I will be incredibly happy. If we lose on Sunday I won't be mad, but regretful at having to wait a few more days.

M

Matt Young

I wonder if the Lakers' victory parade will be as snazzy as the Gay Pride Parade on Sunday. I mean, they have festivities going on all weekend. Friday is the Dyke March Rally. How can the Lakers top that?

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
I actually went to the parade when the Lakers won in 2000. This was the day after some cholos burned some cop cars outside Staples and Shaq replaced them out of pocket. It took two hours to see the double decker with the Larry O'Brian trophy, but it was worth it.

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
I hope Phil hasn't changed his #... when the Lakers win, I'm gonna prank him again in my best Shaq voice and ask that now they won a title without me can I finally return and finish my career with LA.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You Laker fans are cocky motherfuckers. I'm nervous when my team has a 3-0 lead, let alone 3-1

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
My smugness comes from my belief that the Magic can't win three in a row against the Lakers. Presumptuous? Yes. But I'm an asshole Laker fan that flys at least two Laker flags on my car, arrives at games in the second quarter and the belief that I'm entitled to a parade down Figueroa Street every June.

I'll be sure to take photos of the parade! I can't wait until Sunday!