Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA March 2021: Hey now you're an All Star, put your mask on, get paid.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually like the trade for the Bucks. It's creative for both teams and benefits where both teams are at.

Kirk Goldsberry wrote a good article on ESPN+ and talked about it on Zach Lowe's podcast about the three ways franchises have to assemble their teams in 2021 and you almost have to choose one way and stick with it.

Milwaukee going from 24-34 in the draft isn't really the end of the world and getting back its 2022 FRP can get them to take on another veteran next year.

2023 unprotected 1st being gone is risky, but if Giannis does decide to go they are fucked anyway, and if he stays its a pick in the 20's.

Pretty crazy to think one of Brooklyn-Philly-Milwaukee will not get to the ECF, and Miami is going to be a problem for one of those three as well.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Got bored and decided to investigate this stat again.

Brandon Knight had been the active player who had the most games played without a playoff appearance with 446 games. He was not picked up by a team this year. Thus, that honor now belongs to Elfrid Payton, with 421 games played currently. However, it's looking very much like that streak may come to and end this season with the Knicks! And after him? Julius Randle, with just four less games played! Who knew that the Knicks would be the team to play slump-buster for this streak?

Zach LaVine is next in line, with 392 games and counting. The Bulls are currently 9th in the East, so he has a chance too!

The next player is Buddy Hield at 356 games, and that streak will obviously not be ending.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
The complete list of playoff shutouts through Buddy:

Tom Van Arsdale - 929 career games over 12 seasons, with Detroit, Cincinnatti Royals/KC-Omaha Kings, Philadelphia, Atlanta and Phoenix. Oddly enough, the Suns had just made the NBA Finals prior to Van Arsdale joining them for his final season.

Nate Williams - 642 career games over 8 seasons, with Cincinnati Royals/KC-Omaha Kings, New Orleans Jazz, and Golden State. Williams was the first pick of the first-and-only Supplemental Hardship draft, an underclassmen-only draft which took place on the heels of Spencer Haywood successfully suing the league to be allowed to enter early. The picks in this draft, which only the Royals, Hawks, Warriors, Bullets, and Lakers took part in, came at the cost of a pick in the following year's draft. Williams was the second-most successful of the five selections, behind Phil Chenier, who averaged 17 ppg over a 10-year career and won a championship with the 1978 Bullets.

Omri Casspi - 588 career games over 10 seasons with Sacramento, Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans, Minnesota, Golden State, and Memphis. This is perhaps the most tragic of them all, as Casspi was waived by the eventual champion Warriors in 2018 just six days before the postseason started.

Sebastian Telfair - 564 career games over 10 seasons with Portland, Boston, Minnesota (x2), LAC, Cleveland, Phoenix, Toronto and OKC. Shipped out of Portland when Roy and Aldridge came in, and part of the outgoing package for KG to Minnesota. Was part of the 2010 Cavs but did not make it to the postseason.

Popeye Jones - 535 career games over 11 seasons with Dallas (x2), Toronto, Boston, Denver, Washington, and Golden State. Was left off the postseason roster for the 2003 Mavs team which won 60 games.

Eddy Curry - 527 career games over 11 seasons with Chicago, New York, Miami and Dallas. Despite never playing in a playoff game, still got a championship ring as a member of the 2012 Heat.

Doug Overton - 499 games over 11 seasons with Washington, Denver, Philadelphia (x2), Orlando, New Jersey (x3), Boston, Charlotte, and the Clippers (x2). Was basically living on 10-days for the second half of his career, played on some solid teams but obviously none that kept him around for the postseason.

Geoff Huston - 496 games over 8 seasons with New York, Dallas, Cleveland, Golden State, and the Clippers. One of the original Dallas Mavericks, taken from the Knicks in the expansion draft.

Lee Mayberry - 496 games over 7 seasons with Milwaukee and Vancouver. Was also part of the Steve Francis draft day trade, going to Orlando, but was apparently cut.

Ryan Gomes - 487 games over 8 seasons with Boston, Minnesota, LA Clippers and OKC. Another player sent packing for KG. Was traded back to Boston by the Thunder, who would make the WCF that season, but was cut, then kicked around Spain and the D-League for the next 2 years before moving into coaching.

Terry Davis - 480 games over 10 seasons with Miami, Dallas, Washington and Denver. Ed Davis of the Timberwolves is his son.

Milt Palacio - 470 games over 7 seasons with Vancouver, Boston, Phoenix, Cleveland, Toronto and Utah. Was part of the trade that sent Joe Johnson to the Suns, right before the Celtics returned to the postseason and ECF.

Marko Jaric - 447 games over 7 seasons with the Clippers, Minnesota and Memphis. He married Adriana Lima, your opinion is invalid.

Brandon Knight - 446 games over 9 seasons with Detroit (x2), Milwaukee, Phoenix, Houston and Cleveland. Talented, if mistake-prone player who was sadly derailed by injuries.

Darius Miles - 446 games over 7 seasons with the Clippers, Cleveland, Portland, and Memphis.

Geoff Petrie - 446 games over 6 seasons with Portland. He missed a 7th season with injury, the seasons the Blazers finally got there and went all the way.

Ledell Eackles - 441 games over 7 seasons with Washington (x2) and Miami.

Elfrid Payton (ACTIVE) - 421 games over 7 seasons with Orlando, Phoenix, New Orleans and New York.

Julius Randle (ACTIVE) - 417 games over 7 seasons with the Lakers, New Orleans and New York.

Chase Budinger - 407 games over 7 seasons with Houston, Minnesota, Indiana and Phoenix.

Bob Rule - 403 games over 8 seasons with Seattle, Philadelphia, Cleveland and Milwaukee. Rule had just made his first All-Star team in 1970, averaging 24.6 points and 10.3 rebounds. Four games into the following season he suffered a torn Achilles and was basically finished. If you want to know the effect of an Achilles injury with 1970 technology, go look up this guy's numbers.

Craig Smith - 403 games over 6 seasons with Minnesota, LA Clippers and Portland. Was part of one of the Quentin Richardson trades in 2009. That's about all I got on him.

Bryant Reeves - 395 games over 6 seasons with Vancouver. The original face of the Grizzlies, Shaq even said he was one of his least favorite matchups! Career cut short with back injuries. Also @cobainwasmurdered 's favorite player.

Zach LaVine (ACTIVE) - 392 games over 7 seasons with Minnesota and Chicago.

Scott Lloyd - 372 games over 6 seasons with Milwaukee, Buffalo, San Diego, Chicago, and Dallas. Career benchwarmer who never played more than 15 mpg for a season. Backup to Elmore Smith, Kareem's replacement in Milwaukee, as a rookie.

Butch Carter - 361 games over 6 seasons with the Lakers, Indiana, New York and Philadelphia. His rookie season was with the Lakers in 1981, in between two championship seasons.

E.C. Coleman - 357 games over 6 seasons with Houston (x2), New Orleans Jazz and Golden State. Stuck around long enough to make 1st and 2nd team All-Defense appearances.

Aaron James - 356 games over 5 seasons with the New Orleans Jazz. The franchise's first-ever draft pick, as they did not have a first-rounder. Ironically, he was drafted by the Utah Stars in the ABA draft.

Buddy Hield (ACTIVE) - 356 games over 5 seasons with New Orleans and Sacramento.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
The HoopsHype social media section was filled with pictures of Jamal Crawford which made me think he formally retired or worry something worse was happening. Turns out it is his birthday. Shows how horribly social media has conditioned me.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Well, looks like those rumors of Ball to Lakers will heat up now that James is out indefinitely with a high ankle sprain.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sucks man, he was so fun to watch this year. They still have lots of talent, but maybe this gets them lucky with the lottery balls this year.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Knicks lose a last second heartbreaker to the Sixers. I believe they only have one win this season within their division

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Chris Paul just became the sixth player to tally 10,000 career assists, on a lob to DeAndre Ayton. He is 539 points away from becoming the first player in NBA history to score at least 20,000 points and dish out 10,000 assists.

Barring a career-altering/ending injury, the second player will be... LeBron James.

Players with 10,000+ assists, but fewer than 20,000 points (active players in bold):
John Stockton (19,711)
Jason Kidd (17,529)
Steve Nash (17,387)
Mark Jackson (12,489)
Magic Johnson (17,707)
Chris Paul (19,461)

I was not surprised to learn that Magic didn't make it to 20,000 points. I was surprised to learn that Stockton came the closest, on that list. I was mildly surprised to learn that Kidd scored more points in his career than Nash.

Players with 20,000+ points, but fewer than 10,000 assists (minimum 8,500) (active players in bold):
Oscar Robertson (9,887)
LeBron James (9,669)
Isiah Thomas (9,061)
Gary Payton (8,966)

Last edited:

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Pretty incredible for both of them. Lebron had two seasons on Paul but it is definitely more uncommon for someone at Lebron’s position to have those assist totals.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Pretty incredible for both of them. Lebron had two seasons on Paul but it is definitely more uncommon for someone at Lebron’s position to have those assist totals.
"Uncommon" is putting it mildly. LeBron is one of four players above 6-6 in the Top 40 in assists (Pippen is #33, Drexler is #34), and the only one who's primary position wasn't point guard. Hell, he's the only guy above 6-4 in the Top 30... and he's eighth!

Last edited:

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Wait I’m confused, Drexler and Pippen weren’t primarily point guards either? Also, obligatory joke about Bosh>pippen that I’m too lazy to make.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Wait I’m confused, Drexler and Pippen weren’t primarily point guards either? Also, obligatory joke about Bosh>pippen that I’m too lazy to make.
What had happened was... I had originally said LeBron is one of two players above 6-6 in the Top 30 in assists, and then I changed it to "Top 40" (but don't remember why), and I forgot to change the second half of the sentence from 2 to 4.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Kamala in the blue and Slim with the rock

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Clippers must be counting on picking up someone who gets bought out. They just did a salary dump of 2019 1st rounder, who they didn’t pick up further options on, Mfiondu Kabengele to Sacramento. From the looks of it the Clippers will have no cap restrictions on two open roster spots after this move.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
giphy.gif

Kamala in the blue and Slim with the rock
I forgot UConn WBB are the Yankees of women's basketball. I should've known the board's resident WBB connoisseur wouldn't just be happy over someone just wearing any WBB jersey.

Between this and being thrown in my own horny jail. I'll probably be banned by Easter at this rate.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Reports are Celtics are the front runner for Aaron Gordon. The current deal has Gordon and Evan Fournier going to the Celtics likely for the large trade exception and potentially moving Marcus Smart. Due to rules with the trade exception, it is rumored that other teams would need to get involved.

I like Gordon and Fournier but not sure I’m crazy about giving up Marcus Smart. Gordon is a talented young player but I don’t see him being the solution for the Celtics team. They went from a promising young team overachieving early to underachieving and not really feeling like a viable competitor extremely quickly.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Reaction score
Per ESPN, Kyrie Irving did not travel with the team to Portland, and is not expected to be available for the Nets' three-game road trip. In what I'm sure is an unrelated coincidence, today is Kyrie Irving's birthday.

As the saying goes, it ain't trickin', if you got it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sounds like Bulls are interested in trading for DeRozan. Doesn't make a lot of sense for Spurs since they are in the playoff mix and DeRozan is their best player. I get that he's a FA next season and they will probably move on, but it seems to soon to do it now. His ball handling has gotten so much better, that I like his fit with Zach more than I would've last year.

I read that they are still not taking calls on trading Thad Young, but with the wheels starting to fall off the season, it would be stupid to not trade a 33 year old for a first round pick even if it's in the 20's. The tricky thing is that Zach LaVine loves Thad and Thad was the only Bulls player featured in a Zoom Call made last month with all of Zach's family and friends celebrating him making the All Star game, so they are really close. The Bulls need to try to please Zach as much as they can since he's a free agent next season and him walking would set the team back another 5 years possibly. So, basically I can see why they would trade Thad and keep Thad. Thad has been the second best player on The Bulls and if they want to make the Play-In Tourney they will probably need to keep him.

Bulls are listening to calls on Lauri. Lauri has been great at shooting the three, but doesn't do anything else. When his shot isn't going in, he's absolutely useless as he's a poor rebounder, an atrocious defender, and only has 19 assists THE WHOLE SEASON. He's basically Bargnani and hopefully a team overvalues his shooting and trades for him.

I hope they are shopping Coby White and Wendell Carter as well. Coby's skillset is too similar to Zach and he's been absolutely atrocious as primary point guard. People compare him to being a bench gunner like Jamal Crawford, but Coby has been just as bad coming off the bench as he's been in the starting lineup. He's still young, but I think he's still 5 years away from being any good if he's even a NBA player.

I really liked the Wendell pick and I was dead wrong on him. He's flashed potential, but he's in a terrible spot as he's too short to be a Center, but is too slow to keep up with a lot of Power Forwards. His defense has been much worse than I was expecting too. The Al Horford comparisons seem ridiculous after this season. He really needs to visit a sports psychologist as well. He's almost been in near tears at points during post game pressers and I've never seen a player get affected by making bad plays as much. It will be in his head for the rest of the game even if he makes a mistake early.

So TL;DR but, any guy that Gar Forman and John Paxson drafted needs to get traded or waived tbh.