Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA March 2021: Hey now you're an All Star, put your mask on, get paid.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NBA season wobbles along. This month we'll see All Star Weekend and the return of fans to more arenas.

Discuss the happenings in the Association in March ITT

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
This is really cool. James Harden’s newest shoe release is a “Welcome to Brooklyn” inspired colorway of his current shoe. Harden and adidas took the media budget, usually used for billboards and advertising, and gave it to 25 minority-owned small businesses in Brooklyn just putting signage in those storefronts but giving them some much needed revenue.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Oh wow, four triple doubles tonight. Harden vs the Rockets, the McConnell one I just posted and Dennis Smith Jr and Mason Plumlee both had triple doubles as teammates on the Pistons.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Rumors that the Celtics and Hornets are both trying to get Vucevic off of the Magic. I really think Vucevic is one of the few guys that could be a difference maker with the current Celtics roster. At least out of attainable guys not the obvious elite, elite names like Lebron that could take a middle school team to the conference finals.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rumors that the Celtics and Hornets are both trying to get Vucevic off of the Magic. I really think Vucevic is one of the few guys that could be a difference maker with the current Celtics roster. At least out of attainable guys not the obvious elite, elite names like Lebron that could take a middle school team to the conference finals.

I can't imagine what the Celtics have that Magic would realistically want. 2 future firsts would be in the 20's. J&J are off the table, Kemba has no value due to the contract and I don't think anyone else on their roster short of Marcus Smart has any real value on a future Magic team. I feel like the Magic can have as good of a chance of getting a Top 5 pick with Vuc as they do trading him for no real premium pieces.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And in regards to Garnett, I do wish that there was better representation than just old rich white guys as owners, but I do wonder how much money he was actually throwing into with his perspective group (I'm guessing his net worth is 200 million).

I wonder if it was a case of Glen Taylor selling him a bill of goods years ago about selling the team to him and the money becoming nowhere near realistic?

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Celtics getting Vucevic isn’t so much based on Orlando taking back any assets from Boston as much as unloading salary. Many rumors link that if Magic want to do a salary dump to start over since Boston has that record trade exception from Hayward going to the Hornets.

Another rumor I saw tonight had Celtics floating that exception to acquire Jerami Grant from the Pistons as another possibility.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Blake and the Pistons have officially agreed on a buyout. Nets, Warriors, Heat, Blazers said to be frontrunners

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Blake and the Pistons have officially agreed on a buyout. Nets, Warriors, Heat, Blazers said to be frontrunners
Earlier today they were saying the Nets had a leg up on the two LA teams showing interest, so it is interesting with these other teams in the mix.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Is this the latest in someone's NBA career that they've made their first All Star Game?
It’s probably close but I don’t think so. Without going to look I believe Kyle Korver’s may have been about the same or later.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Google tells me Sweetwater Clifton has the record for oldest, appearing in his first All Star Game at the age of 34 in 1957. Kyle Korver is #2 at 33 years, 11 months. Sweetwater Clifton was "only" in his 7th season but his playing experience was obviously a lot different.

Kyle Korver made the All Star Game in his 13th season and Conley is in his 14th season but Conley is younger than Korver was. Korver was kind of a nondescript roleplayer until the Atlanta years. It's amazing Conley never got in once during all his years in Memphis.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
@King Kamala I think you may be right on most seasons. From that list, you covered Clifton and Korver, Cassell made it in season 12 and Mason only played 13 seasons in the league.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Conley was often that first guy out with how deep the West guards were. I just figured he was this generation’s Mike Bibby, as Bibby was always the guy just on the outside to at a lot of people knew and still had a very good career.

I like Conley so I’m happy he got in eventually.