Alfdogg
Reaction score
Nick Nurse won Coach of the Year

nba-coy-voting.jpg

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
So, remember when Philadelphia was touting The Process? Has it paid off for them in your eyes?

They've made the playoffs in 3 straight seasons but have lost in the Semis twice and now got outed in the 1st Round. Their win % has also trended down each year and Simmons/Embiid have both been good but injury prone at times. Now they have just the 21st Pick in the 2020 NBA Draft.

Landry Shamet, the 26th Pick in 2018 lasted just 54 games. Markelle Fultz played just 33 games for them and is finally finding himself in Orlando. And Jahlil Okafor lasted just 2 seasons and was traded to Brooklyn.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It didn't work because they fired Sam Hinkie and Bryan Colangelo and Elton Brand undid basically all of the good work he did except Embiid and Simmons (who are now way more expensive than they were). Brett Brown deserves some of the blame (and to get fired) but not majority IMO. I hope he gets another shot at a NBA HC job (My Maine bias might be speaking) because I think he'd be a great fit for a rebuilding franchise.

I'm now seeing fans saying that it was a bad idea to begin with and they should have just kept core of their 2012 playoff team...which, just, no. It was a shot worth taking and I think someone following Hinkie's blueprint can make it work eventually.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Giannis wins Defensive POTY, the fifth player to win an MVP and DPOTY award, joining MJ, David Robinson, Hakeem and Kevin Garnett. If he wins MVP again he'll be the third (along with MJ and Hakeem) to win both in the same season.

2019-20%20Kia%20NBA%20Defensive%20Player%20of%20the%20Year%20Award%20Voting%20Results.jpg

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It didn't work because they fired Sam Hinkie and Bryan Colangelo and Elton Brand undid basically all of the good work he did except Embiid and Simmons (who are now way more expensive than they were). Brett Brown deserves some of the blame (and to get fired) but not majority IMO. I hope he gets another shot at a NBA HC job (My Maine bias might be speaking) because I think he'd be a great fit for a rebuilding franchise.

I'm now seeing fans saying that it was a bad idea to begin with and they should have just kept core of their 2012 playoff team...which, just, no. It was a shot worth taking and I think someone following Hinkie's blueprint can make it work eventually.

Kamala is right on this one. Too much changes really make it hard to evaluate. I liked it conceptually to what Hinkie was doing. But it does sound like from people around the league that is was something so different that it probably destroyed morale a lot. I also think it is tough because when you surround 11-13 guys that are just filler around 2-4 guys that are a part of the future I'm sure that creates some issues.

That said when I see teams like Charlotte, Chicago the Knicks and teams that never totally bottom out, I fully understand having that idea.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
And he has a Blazers themed username. Huh.

I'm moderately surprised Nate McMillan got fired. I thought he's done a good job considering some pretty rotten circumstances last year and it's really a sellers market with head coaches this offseason.

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wonder if most people around the league view Nate as a coach that build up younger squads, but not necessarily get them to the next level. Seems like a weird dismissal unless Sabonis & Oladipo aren't fans of him. And even then I'm not sure what coach is going to be super excited to get to the Pacers. They seem with this squad they are a perpetual 3-6 team in the East, and I'm not sure how they shuffle the deck personnel wise to get out of that range.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also a big marijuana advocate!

Eerily, he's at least the third member of those early-90s Blazers squads to die young, along with Kevin Duckworth and Jerome Kersey.

Staff member
Reaction score
BI is too good to be playing for such a bad team. It's too bad his career is tied to the Lonzo Ball anchor.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That's exactly how I handle hires among my staff: find the one that doesn't really want to do the job!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oklahoma City is not renewing Billy Donovan’s contract and he is leaving the team.

Bit of a puzzling move as they really overachieved this season. Maybe the front office was hoping that they would be crappier?

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score