Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Offseason Thread 2021

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know they're long in the tooth and there's some potential for disaster but at this moment, I don't see how the L.A. Lakers aren't #1. And this isn't just me kissing up to @909 .

Yeah, their offseason acquisitions are all old dawgs but the ones they site for the Nets having best offseason are all in their 30s too. Idgi!

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I tend to favor the Nets until I see the Lakers together with their new players, particularly how LeBron and Westbrook play together. The Nets were good enough to win a title as constituted; they didn't need to make the drastic changes that the Lakers made. I like replacing Dinwiddie with Patty Mills, as crazy as that might sound, and James Johnson is a really underrated signing; he's basically the modern-day Oak. If Kyrie has his head on straight (I know, big if), I still think they're the favorites for now.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Also gonna kiss up to @Brocklock and say #19 for the Chicago Bulls is too low IMO. I'm not saying Top 10 but definitely not near the bottom third.
I like how all the media is sleeping on the Bulls this year. I still think they are gonna add a couple more bench guys still (MILLSAP PLEASE). They still have a few roster spots left open and the Lauri business still has to be taken care of whether he stays or gets traded. This season isn't about championship or bust though for the Bulls like the media keeps saying. The season is more about trying to make the playoffs, be good again, and make Chicago into a place that free agents want to go to. The GarPax era really hurt the Bulls with a lot of players and the new front office is doing a good job rehabbing that so far.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like we're in for a crazy unpredictable season. It's obvious that Lakers, Bucks, and Nets are going to be the title contenders and Rockets, Thunder, and Cavs are going to be complete ass but everything in between is a weird jumble to me.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
That Nerlens Noel stuff is fascinating and reminds me of when players want to sign prior to the season/end up firing their agents for stagnating the deals when the players just want to go ahead and play already.

Also worth highlighting that Noel has made roughly $35.976 Million through the 2021-22 season, further making that turning down of the 4 Year/$70 Million contract particularly damning.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bulls trade Lauri Markkanen in a three team deal

Bulls get Derrick Jones Jr, A 2022 Protected 1-14 First Round Pick, and a 2023 Second Round Pick

Cavs get Lauri Markkanen

Blazers get Larry Nance Jr.

Jones wasn't good last year, but I really like his game. He just needs to play defense, get lobs, and block shots and he's really good at those things. Like this pickup for the bench a lot and I don't think the Front Office is quite done yet. I think one more big man will be picked up and then the team is ready to go. There are so many willing dunkers in Chicago right now and I'm not used to that after so much GRIT and WORKING CLASS tough guys that didn't have much athleticism. There's also only three players left (Zach LaVine, Coby White, and Patrick Williams) that were on this team in January 2021. The front office thankfully lived up to their promise to completely rebuild and change the team.

I really like the Nance pickup for Portland. Lauri in Cleveland seems like a weird fit, but idk. He's such a strange player. There's moments where he legit seemed like a superstar, but then he'll just disappear and turn into a 7 foot Shooting Guard.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I feel like best case scenario is Ben Simmons can get them to where they were during the Jimmy Butler season and even that seems like a stretch.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of old timers,

LaMarcus Aldridge is cleared to play and it looks like Brooklyn is interested in a reunion with him.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Houston Rockets have agreed to put John Wall on the trade market. Have no idea who'll want his giant ass contract.