Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Playoffs 2021

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind waiting a game on Giannis. Team's shown themselves capable of digging out a hole if they lose game 1. Also proven themselves plenty good enough to win without him.

First Finals in my lifetime and I like it.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Extremely delayed observation but this must be the first Finals to not feature the Warriors, Celtics, Lakers or LeBron since—-the mid ‘00s?
I think the last one was 2006 with the Heat vs Mavericks. If you add Shaq to that group, it becomes murkier.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There have been bigger stars in these playoffs, but none have had any bigger impact than Khris Middleton.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
Posted this a few pages back

This is the first season since 1998 that the Finals will not feature one of Shaq, Kobe, Tim Duncan, LeBron or Steph Curry.

However, Shaq's streak of former teammates in the Finals, which began in 1984 with Greg Kite, is amazingly still alive and has a great chance of continuing, with Jeff Green ('11 Celtics) on the Nets, as well as Danny Green ('10 Cavs, currently plays for Sixers) and Rajon Rondo ('11 Celtics, plays for Clippers) still active.

The second streak is now over as well, with Rondo and the Clippers going down. 37 straight seasons.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
If you add Jordan, Olajuwan and Rodman to that list it extends back to the 1980s & Finals involving the coin toss man himself, Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
By most accounts this was a multiple-weeks-out injury that Giannis suffered, so I can't realistically see him being healthy. I would have picked the Suns regardless though, they have just been the most consistently good team in these playoffs.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Giannis had a decent game last night. Milwaukee still got blown out.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
FaroffOccasionalHusky-max-1mb.gif

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Congratulations to the Bucks and their fans. What the ownership did there is exactly what the owner of the Cavs should have done the first time LeBron was there. They have a superstar and built around him. They re-signed Giannis and promised to do it the right way, and they did.

This makes me wonder, is this Chris Paul's final shot at winning? The West is going to be tough next year. Will he still be on the Suns or sign somewhere else? You have to think that the Buck and Nets are going to be there for sure with other teams like the Celtics making a push.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I’ve been rooting for the Suns all season, but totally alright with the Bucks winning. Giannis is an easy guy to like.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
The Cavs couldn’t do what the Bucks did because no big name players would go there without LeBron committing to stay long-term, which he wouldn’t do nor should he have. Also Wade and Bosh have both said they wouldn’t have gone to Cleveland to join forces.

I was gonna be happy with either result initially, but by the end I was rooting for the Bucks after everyone started hammering the Scott Foster thing home. Fourteen fucking years later and these whiny asses are still blaming the league and the officials for all their problems

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, Scott Foster is almost undoubtedly crooked referee IMO but that's a topic for another day. I don't think anyone will argue that Bucks weren't better team.

I think Phoenix Suns should be back in contention though. Booker, Ayton, and rest of guys are only going to get better from this experience. Lakers-Nets would be obvious prediction for 2022 NBA Finals but I think Suns will be hovering around the next tier with Bucks, Clippers, and (knock on wood) Celtics.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I mean, Scott Foster is almost undoubtedly crooked referee IMO but that's a topic for another day. I don't think anyone will argue that Bucks weren't better team.

I think Phoenix Suns should be back in contention though. Booker, Ayton, and rest of guys are only going to get better from this experience. Lakers-Nets would be obvious prediction for 2022 NBA Finals but I think Suns will be hovering around the next tier with Bucks, Clippers, and (knock on wood) Celtics.
The issue there is CP3 may decline even if Booker and/or Ayton improve.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
I definitely don’t doubt that an NBA referee might be shady but this is the first time I’ve seen it referenced repeatedly in the media the way it was. It was actually the top headline on espn.com before the game.

Should also point out the imprint of the GarPax era was all over these Playoffs with Bobby Portis and Cam Payne both having noteworthy postseasons. @Brocklock @Krankor

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Also props to Giannis for calling out certain players in comparing how he won his title by putting forth a Herculean effort.

"Coming back, I was like, 'This is my city. They trust me. They believe in me. They believe in us.' ... Obviously I wanted to get the job done. But that's my stubborn side. It's easy to go somewhere and go win a championship with somebody else. It's easy. ... I could go to a super team and just do my part and win a championship.

"But this is the hard way to do it," he continued, pounding the dais for emphasis, "and this is the way to do it, and we did it. We f---ing did it."