Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Playoffs: Conference Finals

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
NBA Playoffs: Conference Finals (Cavs/Magic, Lakers/Nuggets)

(1) Cleveland Cavaliers vs (3) Orlando Magic All games on TNT
Game 1: Orlando 107, Cleveland 106
Game 2: Cleveland 96, Orlando 95
Game 3: Orlando 99, Cleveland 89
Game 4: Orlando 116, Cleveland 114
Game 5: Cleveland 112, Orlando 102
Game 6: Orlando 103, Cleveland 90, Orlando wins 4-2

(1) Los Angeles Lakers vs (2) Denver Nuggets
Game 1: LA Lakers 105, Denver 103
Game 2: Denver 106, LA Lakers 103
Game 3: LA Lakers 103, Denver 97
Game 4: Denver 120, LA Lakers 101
Game 5: LA Lakers 103, Denver 94
Game 6: LA Lakers 119, Denver 92, LA Lakers win 4-2

Staff member
Reaction score

I've got two series wrong all playoffs, and none last round. Therefore

Magic in 7
Lakers in 6

Reaction score

Cavs in 5
Lakers in 7

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score

Cavs in 5
Lakers in 7

Kinetic

Kinetic
Reaction score

Cavs in 6, Lakers in 7. Only the Western Conference series ends up being any good.

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score

Nuggets in 6. Cavs in 5.

N

naiwf

Cavs in 4
Nuggets in 6

Cavs in 5 :(

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
The Cavs and Magic only played 3 times this year. The Magic won the two games played down in Orlando, one by 10 and one was a blowout, and the Cavs won a close game in Cleveland.

Orlando presents some matchup problems for the Cavs as they do for most teams, but the Cavs can handle it better than Boston could. I think Joe Smith will be an x factor with his ability to defend the Orlando forwards, and since I expect LeBron to play the 4 some to avoid the mismatch of Varejao/Wallace guarding Lewis or Turkoglu and their guards aren't big enough to cover them they're going to need either Szczerbiak or Pavlovic to step in and give them some quality minutes.

I don't think it will be a cakewalk like the last 2 series, but I expect the Cavs to win in 6.

Lakers will finally be swept. It's been a long time coming.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure whether this belongs on this thread or somewhere on the rasslin' board, but the Nuggets have a scheduling conflict with WWE for May 25:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4176082

I love Vince's swipe at the Nuggets' managment:

"Even though the Denver Nuggets had a strong team this year and were projected to make the playoffs, obviously Nuggets and Pepsi Center owner Stan Kroenke did not have enough faith in his own team to hold the May 25th date for a potential playoff game," WWE chairman Vince McMahon said in a statement.

jimmy no nose

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"The Nuggets and the WWE understand that the date of Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals cannot be changed," said NBA spokesman Mike Bass. "We are confident that the Pepsi Center and the WWE will resolve their scheduling conflict."

How does this happen? It's pretty ridiculous and leaves the WWE in a pretty terrible spot. What happens to everyone who already has a ticket and is planning on showing up at the Pepsi Center? Does the spokesman realize that WWE is doing live TV that night too?

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
jimmy no nose said:
"The Nuggets and the WWE understand that the date of Game 4 of the Western Conference Finals cannot be changed," said NBA spokesman Mike Bass. "We are confident that the Pepsi Center and the WWE will resolve their scheduling conflict."

How does this happen? It's pretty ridiculous and leaves the WWE in a pretty terrible spot. What happens to everyone who already has a ticket and is planning on showing up at the Pepsi Center? Does the spokesman realize that WWE is doing live TV that night too?
The spokesman doesn't care. Never mind the building was booked nine months in advance. Never mind that had the Lakers won game 6 the series would have started yesterday instead. WWE's clearly at fault for wanting our building that far in advance.

Here's where I credit the Hornets, because the second they clinched the playoff berth they called WWE, who has the Extreme Rules PPV scheduled for the building, and told them "We might need the building, try to come up with a backup plan."

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I understand that the Nuggets get priority, but its not just like the wwe scheduled this 9 months ago so they should get it, the arena confirmed this like one month ago, when they knew the Nuggets had a good chance of still playing. Totally the Pepsi Center's fault on this one.

JHawk

Thank You, Fuck You, Bye!
Reaction score
Smues said:
I understand that the Nuggets get priority, but its not just like the wwe scheduled this 9 months ago so they should get it, the arena confirmed this like one month ago, when they knew the Nuggets had a good chance of still playing. Totally the Pepsi Center's fault on this one.
A combination of the NBA and the Pepsi Center, IMO.

Unlike the NHL where they essentially have the playoff schedule set well in advance, the NBA seemingly books theirs on the fly. Had the Lakers beaten the Rockets in six, game one would have been Sunday afternoon and the May 25 game likely would be game five, which would have been in L.A. Plus, had the NBA done a little bit of research (aka gone to the Pepsi Center website) they'd have noticed Sunday is free for the building and could have scheduled accordingly. Of course, that probably would have bumped the Tuesday Andre Rieu concert, whoever the fuck that is.

The easy way to make everybody happy would be to have the game at noon (2pm Eastern) since it is Memorial Day and have Raw that evening. It handcuffs Raw's setup time but they can do a skeleton set or a "throwback night" or something to salvage the show.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
To fucking hell with WWE. I would think that the overwhelming majority of the population of Denver would much rather see their Nuggets continue their playoff run than seeing the bloated overblown spectacle that is the WWE these days. Scheduling conflicts happen, that's life, and Vince firing a not-so-subtle shot across the NBA's bow only shows you how out of touch he is. This ain't 1997 anymore, Vinny. Maybe, MAYBE back then you would have a case, but not now.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Rendclaw said:
To fucking hell with WWE. I would think that the overwhelming majority of the population of Denver would much rather see their Nuggets continue their playoff run than seeing the bloated overblown spectacle that is the WWE these days. Scheduling conflicts happen, that's life, and Vince firing a not-so-subtle shot across the NBA's bow only shows you how out of touch he is. This ain't 1997 anymore, Vinny. Maybe, MAYBE back then you would have a case, but not now.

To fucking hell with the NBA. It doesn't matter what the people of Denver want, as Vince said, they booked the building first and then a month ago, confirmed the date again with Vince. I'm sure at some point before yesterday, they could've brought up the possible scheduling conflict, but I guess not.

Explain the 1997 remark, as in 2009, the show looks to be sold out. This doesn't show Vince's out of touch, it shows he gets really mad when screwed over.