Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NBA Playoffs: Conference Semis

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
VX, I am aware you lost interest in the Lakers and have defected over to Portland, but it's still weird all the same to see you go from a fan to someone who seems to have complete hatred for a team. But I can't complain. I went from liking the 1990s Falcons with Chandler and Anderson to hating the Vick Falcons.

Still Fly, I know it isn't a big deal. Just wanted to put it out there.

Psycho Penguin, the Nuggets looked good against a team that quit on their coach and a team that isn't as good as advertised, but they are not beating the Lakers. It's not a shoo in, but it's almost as guaranteed as Cleveland's entry in the Finals.

Vitamin X

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't say I really hate the Lakers so much as I dislike them as an in-conference rival, really. In all honesty, I wasn't a very good Laker fan- I only got into them at the tail-end of the dynasty (or rather, the fall of it in 2004) because I moved to Florida and hated the Heat, so I stuck with the "hometown" team. I hated them during their actual success, although I guess that really just means I wasn't meant to be a fan of them, I suppose. But, seeing as how 04-06 were prime TSM Sports years, I could see how everyone would get the impression I was a "staunch" fan, although I really just root hard for whatever team I like.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Vitamin X said:
still fly said:
It's not a big deal, Porter. Let the Laker haters have their fun now. I have confidence in my team that they can win it all, and it'll be just as sweet to talk shit if or when my Lakers win it.
Honestly, I'd rather see the Lakers win than the Cavs. I like Kobe a lot, and I've long thought he's the best player in the league.

I'm with this. Anything but King James' coronation. I'd rather Kobe just get his Shaq-less ring and let's move on. Anything to prevent this coronation I keep hearing about.

Plus I don't mind Kobe. It's some of their other players+the fact that I hate the hollywood stars and the constant attention lavished on them at games that makes me dislike the Lakers, not Kobe. I'd rather he get his ring so people will get off his back and quit trying to downplay his ability by saying he can't do it without Shaq.

N

naiwf

I wouldn't mind the Lakers winning since I like Kobe, Fisher, Pau and Odom. I could do without Vujacic and Walton winning rings though. I just want Denver vs Orlando because I hate David Stern and want to see him get the worst potential matchup ratings wise.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
How is Dallas "not as good as advertised"? Pretty much everyone says they're soft and thought they'd be the odd team out of the playoffs in the West.

still fly

#bae
Reaction score
The way Sasha's been playing this year, he should even get a ring. Surprised people hate on Walton. He sucks too much to even be hated.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alfdogg said:
How is Dallas "not as good as advertised"? Pretty much everyone says they're soft and thought they'd be the odd team out of the playoffs in the West.

Because when they finished out the season, there were some analysts declaring them a dangerous team and a team that could surprise people. But nope, they aren't.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow what a way to just completely collapse Boston. They go 3 minutes without scoring and Paul Pierce misses two big go ahead free throws. Unbelievable.
Has there ever been a team with a record this good and with this big of expectations that is this dependent on their big stars scoring to actually win a game? And has there ever been a team that is so dependent like the Celtics are that has their big stars run so hot and cold?
I mean one game Pierce, Allen or Rondo can go off and then another game they can go like 2-24. It's just so weird.
I mean it isn't all the lack of KG is it? It's gotta be the bench play too.
I hope in the offseason they focus on their bench in addition to the big stars. The big 3 (4 with Rondo) are all coming back aren't they?

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
How high are the expectations for this year's Celtics? They're kinda not really good.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
chchchchchchczech it out said:
How high are the expectations for this year's Celtics? They're kinda not really good.

Well early on when they were setting all these records and having insane winning streaks they were really high. After the Garnett injury and the realization the bench sucks ass I think they fell dramatically.

Precious Roy

hashtag trashbag
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Has there ever been a team with a record this good and with this big of expectations that is this dependent on their big stars scoring to actually win a game? And has there ever been a team that is so dependent like the Celtics are that has their big stars run so hot and cold?
I mean one game Pierce, Allen or Rondo can go off and then another game they can go like 2-24. It's just so weird.
I mean it isn't all the lack of KG is it? It's gotta be the bench play too.

Posts like this make me question if we're watching the same games...

Game 2, Pierce plays 15 minutes, goes 1-4 with 3 points. Allen and Rondo have good games scoring the ball, 22 and 15 respectively. The leading scorer and catalyst behind the win (along with Rondo who had a triple double) is EDDIE HOUSE with 31, off the bench. CELTICS WIN.

Game 5, Glen Davis is the Celtics leading scorer, Pierce has 19 on only 11 fg attempts, and Rondo/Allen are a combined 6-23 from the field, 19 points combined. Marbury has a huge 12 points off the bench in 14 minutes to pick up the team when Pierce, Allen, Rondo weren't getting it done. CELTICS WIN.

The fact is they're playing shorthanded, running out an 8 man rotation where two of the 3 guys getting substantial minutes off the bench were barely in the rotation most of the year. They don't have KEVIN GARNETT, and they don't have Leon Powe. Pierce and Allen have a lot of run on those legs and have had to carry this team without KG around, they don't have it in them to put up great performances every night. The role players and the bench aren't holding this team back, they're the reason they've managed to get this far. The Celtics are running BRIAN SCALABRINE out there anywhere from 18-35 minutes a night, come on man!

KOAB

KOAB
Reaction score
Hey, Jeff... you're calling Lakers/Rockets right now... there's no need for you to rush to your brother's defense right now. Just call the current game.

Thanks.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This team needs to figure out how to play well more often. They are a total enigma right now.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
chchchchchchczech it out said:

Personally I'm kinda shocked they are a game away from the ECF. As Roy said, their bench has contributed nothing consistent, just a few streaky performances. I mean, BRIAN SCALABRINE is playing a major factor in these games. He either changed or lost the headband he wears in the second half and he kind of just blended into the court. These playoffs have been coming out parties for Glen Davis and Rajon Rondo, Rondo especially. A good sign for next year.

They are going to have to pull off a miracle to get by Cleveland (if they win Sunday; nice scheduling having to wait three days for the next game by the way), but I'm happy with how far they've come this year considering.

Fökai

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Precious Roy said:
The fact is they're playing shorthanded, running out an 8 man rotation where two of the 3 guys getting substantial minutes off the bench were barely in the rotation most of the year. They don't have KEVIN GARNETT, and they don't have Leon Powe. Pierce and Allen have a lot of run on those legs and have had to carry this team without KG around, they don't have it in them to put up great performances every night. The role players and the bench aren't holding this team back, they're the reason they've managed to get this far. The Celtics are running BRIAN SCALABRINE out there anywhere from 18-35 minutes a night, come on man!

I can't believe you've actually convinced me to root for a Celtics team to reach the Finals.

If Pierce wasn't such a douchebag, I'd actually want them to repeat.

N

naiwf

If the Los Angeles Kobes lose Game 7 to a T-Mac AND Yao-less Rockets team he's got to take a major hit in terms of the MJ comparisons.

Rendclaw

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of the major problems with the Lakers is that their younger players think they're much better than they are. They are the sports cliche of playing down to the level of their competition. Another reason is that they still haven't figured out what to do about Aaron Brooks, who has been torching them with regularity. Derek Fisher is pretty much officially done, Lamar Odom is the very definition of an enigma, and whether or not he admits it, Kobe is exhausted. Combine all of that, and you have a team that loses when they should win, and drops 20-plus point leads to teams that they should be choking out by 30.

My issue with Laker fans is that there is a serious sense of entitlement going on, which I hate from any set of fans, my Yankees included.

They had a chance to win the title last year, and they folded. They should have beat the ever loving shit out of the Rockets when Yao went down, and they haven't.

N

naiwf

The saddest thing is that I think they would probably "get up" for the Nuggets and take them out in 6 or 7 and then get spanked by the Cavs because they'll have played at least 5 or 6 more games than Cleveland by that point. It's looking more and more like Denver is my only hope at seeing the LeBron coronation pushed back a year, and that really sucks.

M

Matt Young

I only really got to see the last few minutes of the Lakers game since I was working on some stuff, but man... Game 5 aside, this team has not looked like a championship team in this round. Then again, Boston didn't look like a championship team in the first couple rounds last year, and they kicked ass in the Finals, so who knows what will happen.

I'm still confident that LA will win game 7, but it's far from a given. I'd put the Lakers' chances no higher than 60%. I give Houston all the credit in the world, too. The Lakers are a better team than the Rockets on paper even with McGrady, Yao, and Mutombo in the lineup, but right now Houston is downright depleted. These guys have a ton of heart.

I didn't see the Magic/Celtics game, but watching some post-game interviews, I'm starting to agree with Shaq that Stan Van Gundy is not cut out to lead a team toward a championship. The fact that the Magic have played this well under him is a testament to the talent on that team.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like nothing more than for Houston to win game 7, but it isn't happening. I'll be shocked if it's even close, I except a repeat of game 5.

M

Matt Young

Star Ocean 2 said:
If the Lakers lose, LA will be a Clipper town come next season. Put that in your bank and smoke it.
The Lakers could move to Kamloops, British Columbia, and LA still wouldn't be a Clippers town.

M

Matt Young

Kobe Doin' Work

Kobe Bryant transcends his sport like only a few before him have done. This basketball prodigy entered the league at age 18 and quickly began to rack up accolades: Slam Dunk champion, NBA All-Star, NBA Champion, Olympic champion and League MVP among others. His on-the-court exploits have been well documented, yet few have been able to witness what it's like for Kobe on game day. Directed by film and cultural icon Spike Lee, get inside the locker room and inside the mind of this enigmatic superstar for a never-before-documented look at how Kobe prepares for and plays in one of the biggest games of the season. With unprecedented access, Spike covered the day with over 30 cameras and had Kobe mic'd up throughout the entire game providing the most-complete and intense look at the Laker superstar both on-the-court and off.

I was surprised no one mentioned this. It premieres at 8 Eastern on ESPN on Saturday. Should be interesting. Will anyone else be watching?

CanadianChris

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Lakers will take care of business at home Sunday. What this has done is make me extremely worried about the WCF, because they will be even more tested by the Nuggets and have no margin for error.