Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Offseason and Black Monday 2021 NFL Edition

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I don’t know. I feel the longer they go without a name, the more likely it is that people continue to call them by the old name. In some instances out of habit since nothing replaced it. I know one point last year I referred to it that way not thinking since that’s what I’ve known them as in the decades I’ve known about football and there was no new name to replace in my head. In some cases, the belligerent MAGA crowd will do it out of spite, which to be fair they would probably do even if they had a new name.

I don’t want to be a pearl clutcher but moving on with really a generic name and no true rebranding, to me, keeps the old name alive and in some ways almost validates the feelings of the crowd who didn’t want it changed.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t know. I feel the longer they go without a name, the more likely it is that people continue to call them by the old name. In some instances out of habit since nothing replaced it. I know one point last year I referred to it that way not thinking since that’s what I’ve known them as in the decades I’ve known about football and there was no new name to replace in my head. In some cases, the belligerent MAGA crowd will do it out of spite, which to be fair they would probably do even if they had a new name.

I don’t want to be a pearl clutcher but moving on with really a generic name and no true rebranding, to me, keeps the old name alive and in some ways almost validates the feelings of the crowd who didn’t want it changed.
I don't mind the name but I kind of want them to have a new nickname. Considering it's also Washington, there's a bunch of nicknames that could be utilized that would be appropriate for the history/tie-in to where they are located too.

Staff member
Reaction score
I5Sb4Wl.gif

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Regionally, the last two universities in my area to change offensive native related mascots were both in the Sun Belt. UL-Monroe and Arkansas state went from "Indians" to Warhawks and Red Wolves respectively. It's like, "Hooray for getting rid of the racist mascot but uhhh.....Warhawks and Red Wolves?"

Needless to say, my high school was "The Braves" and as of right now no one is raising hell about any of the schools traditions (though if I remember correctly, they have an endorsement from the local Native community).

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Patriots re-signed RB James White to a 1 year deal worth just $2.5 Million. He's still a very serviceable piece but was underutilized it felt like last year in the passing game. They also re-signed Lawrence Guy to a 4 year deal, which is a good re-signing as he's been a versatile piece playing inside/outside and can be a solid rotational weapon.

Also, continue to bolster the bottom of the LB Group signing Raekwon McMillan and LaRoy Reynolds to compete for ST snaps and for the final 44-53 man roster spots. I've noticed over the years that Belichick likes to beef up his ST with guys who instinctively go downhill fast while sifting through trash: RBs, LBs, and Safeties.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Leonard Fournette returns to TB on a 1 year deal worth $4 Million. Cowboys signed CB/S Damontae Kazee to a 1 year deal. He was productive in Atlanta from 2018-2019 and came make plays in the cover game.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So both Miami and Philly have basically guaranteed that Tua and Hurts are starting respectively. With Miami at 6, that probably means Devonte or Pitts is going there unless someone before them grabs.

San Fran is probably drafting Zach Wilson, I bet at 3. What a wild time.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So both Miami and Philly have basically guaranteed that Tua and Hurts are starting respectively. With Miami at 6, that probably means Devonte or Pitts is going there unless someone before them grabs.

San Fran is probably drafting Zach Wilson, I bet at 3. What a wild time.
Eagles wanted to trade up only for Zach Wilson at #3 but couldn't make the deal so that probably means the Jags are going Lawrence at #1 and the Jets are going Wilson at #2.

The more interesting prospect is if the 49ers take Justin Fields or Trey Lance at #3, will that mean that they'll deal Jimmy G to New England which still seems to be heavily in play.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
The Miami trade from 12 up to 6 is really smart. They got 2 1st's from trading back to 12 from 3.

So they're currently +1 first. It could be possible they could get another 2 1st's from some desperate team. There's really only 4 to 5 first round quarterbacks. That #6 is a prime spot for teams to want to trade back up to. They've bumped the Eagles back so that opens the doors for a lot of teams to slide in with a third trade.

Dolphins are doing a good job of maximizing trade value by essentially selling all of the slots to trade up for a QB in this draft.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
So in 2 trades the Dolphins pulled this off...

Dolphins send: #3, #12 (from SF), #123, and 2022 1st Rounder
49ers/Eagles Send: #6, #156, 2021 3rd Rounder, and 2023 1st Rounder

Dolphins basically dropped back 3 spots in the 1st Round and kept their other 2 1st Round picks anyway. Dropped from #123 to #156 and picked up a 2021 3rd Rounder and a future 1st Round pick 2 years down the road when their roster should be more loaded and playoff caliber.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Regionally, the last two universities in my area to change offensive native related mascots were both in the Sun Belt. UL-Monroe and Arkansas state went from "Indians" to Warhawks and Red Wolves respectively. It's like, "Hooray for getting rid of the racist mascot but uhhh.....Warhawks and Red Wolves?"

Needless to say, my high school was "The Braves" and as of right now no one is raising hell about any of the schools traditions (though if I remember correctly, they have an endorsement from the local Native community).
One of the local high schools here switched from Indians to "Storm" almost a decade ago. The kids then deemed the STORM "Somebody Took Our Red Man".

===
It seems nutty to toss 3 1sts out and not even get the number 1 pick out of it. Miami can look to the early 2000s Jets and Washington to see how lots of 1sts doesn't always equal success.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
QB Chase Daniel continues his miracle backup career signing with the LA Chargers on a 1 year deal.
CB Mackensie Alexander is returning to the Minnesota Vikings.

Reactions: SFH
Reaction score
One of the local high schools here switched from Indians to "Storm" almost a decade ago. The kids then deemed the STORM "Somebody Took Our Red Man".

===
It seems nutty to toss 3 1sts out and not even get the number 1 pick out of it. Miami can look to the early 2000s Jets and Washington to see how lots of 1sts doesn't always equal success.

I know they’re not Super Bowls but the Jets made the playoffs 5 times in the 00s and drafted players like Shaun Ellis, John Abraham, Chad Pennington, D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Nick Mangold with those picks.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Washington also did pretty decent with their picks: LaVar Arrington at #2 and Chris Samuels at #3 in 2000, Carlos Rogers was good and Jason Campbell had a serviceable career from 2005, and Haskins is a bust but Montez Sweat's been a key part of their DL.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
QB Chase Daniel continues his miracle backup career signing with the LA Chargers on a 1 year deal.
CB Mackensie Alexander is returning to the Minnesota Vikings.
Of all active players, something negative coming out about Chase Daniels' character would probably devastate me the most. Even for a backup that dude got out in the NOLA community and did a metric fuck ton of goodwill work. Dude is top notch ace. At one point he was the second most beloved Saint behind our QB1.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Of all active players, something negative coming out about Chase Daniels' character would probably devastate me the most. Even for a backup that dude got out in the NOLA community and did a metric fuck ton of goodwill work. Dude is top notch ace. At one point he was the second most beloved Saint behind our QB1.
I swear Chase Daniel has somehow surpassed the ICON Jim Sorgi (of Wisconsin/Peyton Manning's lifelong backup fame) as like the backup QB who'll finally retire at 39 years old that every fan knows the name of but couldn't pick him out of a lineup or explain why they know his name.

Reactions: SFH

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I could, but I also am a little fanatical. It was a major talking point at the 2011(?) charity softball event when Chase beat Drew in the pregame home run derby, breaking Drew's streak of winning since various players and charities started hosting it. They running joke was Brees wanted Chase as his back up b/c he was shorter than Drew. And that carried over to the softball game, Brees was so competitive he didn't want to lose a charity homerun contest to his back up. So for Chase to finish #2 the year prior and then win the next, it made the local paper. :championship::championship::championship:I wouldn't be surprised if Chase and Drew were once a week still in touch. That was an amazing QB1/QB2 relationship.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Arizona signed QB Colt McCoy to serve as Kyler Murray's backup this season.

Chiefs continue to overhaul their OL signing C Austin Blythe to a 1 year deal.

Raiders signed OT Kolton Miller to a 3 year extension which includes $42.5 Million guaranteed.

Steelers signed RB Kalen Ballage to a 1 year deal to serve as a depth piece. He's a guy I really liked coming out of college but he's never showcased the same consistent productivity in the NFL.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Man, the rumblings that the 49ers are taking Mac Jones are getting a lot louder. I wonder if they will.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Jets have traded Sam Darnold to the Carolina Panthers

Jets get a 2021 6th round pick and 2022 2nd and 4th round picks

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Considering Sam still has a chance to be good, that's not a terrible price to pay for him. Here's hoping he can beat out Bridgewater.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trading Sam was best for him and the Jets. Bummed it didn't work out, and still a little disappointed to see him go, but hoping he kills it with the Panthers.

Welcome to NY, Zach Wilson.

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
I agree with Flik. Very reasonable price for a dart throw at a QB. Much cheaper than the Panthers trying ro move up in the draft.

This way if Darnold & Bridgewater both fail, they still have the ability to nab a rookie next season in round one.

The Panthers now don't need to draft the 5th best QB at #8, if one even lasted that far. They can get a lot better taking either an OL or a WR/TE. I like it.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Panthers also smartly sent just a 6th Rounder so they still have the capability of taking a decent QB in the 3rd-5th Round area to serve as the #3 and maybe get lucky there as well.