Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Offseason and Black Monday 2021 NFL Edition

Gert

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bengals cut Giovani Bernard today after asking him to take a paycut. Sounds like the Dalton move last year, both players weren't thrilled with the Bengals waiting until weeks into free agency before releasing them. I'm guessing the Bengals were trying to exhaust trade options.

Gio is a great receiving RB and an underrated blocker in pass protection. I'm sure he'll be a good contributor wherever he ends up.

AA484

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bengals cut Giovani Bernard today after asking him to take a paycut. Sounds like the Dalton move last year, both players weren't thrilled with the Bengals waiting until weeks into free agency before releasing them. I'm guessing the Bengals were trying to exhaust trade options.

Gio is a great receiving RB and an underrated blocker in pass protection. I'm sure he'll be a good contributor wherever he ends up.
I thought he played well last year when Mixon was hurt.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Trading Sam was best for him and the Jets. Bummed it didn't work out, and still a little disappointed to see him go, but hoping he kills it with the Panthers.

Welcome to NY, Zach Wilson.
The NFL really needs to consider what Mike McCarthy suggested years ago about creating a roster spot for a developmental type QB. A lot of guys in the 70s-90s took years to develop, and now if your not Dan Marino you get shipped off.
Shit, Brett Favre was basically Jameis Winston in 1993 as he tossed a billion picks and a few less TDs, 3 years later he's in the Super Bowl. Bradshaw, Young, and other all timers took years to figure shit out.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
The NFL really needs to consider what Mike McCarthy suggested years ago about creating a roster spot for a developmental type QB. A lot of guys in the 70s-90s took years to develop, and now if your not Dan Marino you get shipped off.
Shit, Brett Favre was basically Jameis Winston in 1993 as he tossed a billion picks and a few less TDs, 3 years later he's in the Super Bowl. Bradshaw, Young, and other all timers took years to figure shit out.
To counterpoint... that technically is what the 3rd QB/Practice Squad spot is for and is often utilized for mid-round to late-round QBs for a reason. Teams still have the option of actually sitting their 1st Round rookie QB for an entire season behind a veteran. They don't need to create a roster spot out of thin air.

Brett Favre also went 8-5 and 9-7 in 1993 & 1994. Winning matters whether he struggled or not. Steve Young was stuck behind the Tom Brady of his generation in SF... Even Matt Stafford went 10-6 in 2011 while throwing for 5,000+ yards with 41 TD. The stats were nice but it was the 10 wins that kept him starting in Detroit afterward. Josh Allen was horrible in year 1 but won 10 games in 2019 and 13 in 2020.

Darnold's started 38 games and gone 13-25. The Jets suck and Carolina (arguably) has a better offensive system for Darnold to improve in but the Panthers aren't that great either. How many opportunities do you give a guy before you move on if he isn't winning games for you in the NFL?

Gardner Minshew: 20 Starts, 7-13 Record. I like him a lot as an NFL QB but he's not Trevor Lawrence...
Drew Lock: 18 Starts, 8-10 Record. This is probably a make or break season for him if he starts in Denver again.
Daniel Jones: 26 Starts, 8-18 Record. Giants acquired more weapons so he has to win games this year.

For all the flack Mitchell Trubisky gets as a QB, he actually has a record of 29-21 in 50 starts.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
:( Sounds like a bone-on-bone or degenerative condition possibly?

The report is via a "source familiar with (Julian) Edelman’s (knee) situation." Per the source, "while surgery can provide temporary relief, nothing can solve the underlying problem."

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
FWIW Sam Darnold actually had a winning record in 2019. I think trading him is probably the right move, but I'm not giving up on him as an NFL player.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
That early Holmgren Packer D (Ray Rhodes) is underrated. At least the LBs were always talented. Leroy Butler should be a NFL HOFer. Reggie White joined a solid unit.
Most of that crew didn't survive to see the Super Bowls though.

The early offense was really an issue. Jackie Harris was good at TE, and Sterling Sharpe was amazing, but the Oline needed help and WR2 was pretty much a mess through 92,93,94. Robert Brooks was there, but he didn't explode as a talent until 95, ditto Chewy. And RB was a rotation of bodies during that whole era too. Bennett was a FB who could catch, and eventually he developed enough to be fed the ball enough times to hit 1000 yard mark in 95 (IIRC).

Had Favre and his 24 INTs in 93 been deemed a failed project, Mark Brunell and Ty Detmer were waiting in the wings. Plus in the 93 pre-season the Packers gave Ken O Brien a healthy sum to come in as the vet QB only to cut him at the end of August. So looking for outside help was still in the books.

Sports What If crosspost: The Packers also pursued Montana prior to 93. Favre would have been under the learning tree for a bit. Holmgren and Joe Cool reunited.
I'll fantasy book Ronnie Lott joining the Pack in 93 too then, replacing Chuck Cecil as the hard hitting FS.

I'll stop now before I *unzip pants*

Fake edit: They still get routed by the Cowboys.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Iirc, Ken O'Brien ended up signing with the Eagles that year(93) and eventually got a bunch of playing time when Randall Cunningham got hurt. He was so bad the Eagles had to play Bubby Brister.

Packers running backs always sucked on the 90s Madden games. You were lucky to get 3 YPC with Edgar Bennett or Dorsey Levens.

lol I had completely forgotten that Bubby Brister got a couple SB rings backing up Elway in 97 and 98

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope Edelman just calls it quits as there's no guarantee he'd be able to even pass a physical to sign with Tampa Bay either.

Buccaneers load up signing Gio Bernard to a 1-year deal giving their RB room more depth. Bengals claimed TE Thaddeus Moss off waivers. He's very short for a TE at 6'1" but could offer H-Back/FB potential if he puts in the effort.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
new uniforms are much cleaner, but you can only do much when you use orange like this. Still an improvement over the previous which were terrible.
1618839724524.jpeg

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Think the Ravens fleeced Kansas City in that trade. They have a replacement in Villanueva but are deep enough that they can get Lamar some WR help with the #27 or #31 and still get another OT such as Teven Jenkins or Alex Leatherwood.

Baltimore now has 9 picks including 2 1st Rounders and 6 picks inside the top 136. Also gives them more ammunition to move around in the mid-rounds and they got a 2022 5th Rounder as a bonus just by giving up their own 6th Rounder.

Reactions: SFH

Krankor

Krankor
Reaction score
It'a a hard trade to evaluate. KC had been tabbed by everyone to grab a tackle with their 1st rounder. Chiefs are going for short term help with an established OT in Brown. Makes sense. Chiefs said they don't plan to extend him. Doesn't make sense. Maybe they hope to gain a future comp pick from him leaving. They must not like any of the late round 1 tackles more than Brown for 2021. Chiefs picking up the 58th pick might mean there is a tackle they like but he's more of a mid-round 2 guy that needs some development. Chiefs are for sure worrying about this year more than 2022.

The Ravens have been pretty bad at evaluating receiver talent. I don't have much faith that anyone they pick at the end of the first will really pan out.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Bridgewater traded to Denver.
Carolina gets pick #191 in return. Good move by Denver as it'll force Lock to step up or gtfo while allowing Denver to even trade Lock elsewhere on Draft Day or still draft a R1 QB and ship Lock out later if necessary.

This opens the door for Carolina to take a QB at some point in the draft to compete with/back up Darnold as well.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So... Uh... I thought this was all settled, but all I can think is that Rodgers found out who they are drafting in round one and doesn't like it at all.

Edit: and Z beats me to it. This draft is gonna be nuts.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
All the drawmuh! Schefter reports things have disintegrated to the point that each of team president Mark Murphy, head coach Matt LaFleur, and GM Brian Gutekunst have traveled to California to try to get Rodgers to change his mind.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Patriots reportedly are working on a new contract with Jimmy G in an effort to do a deal with San Francisco.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm fine with them getting Jimmy G for a late round pick but I fail to see how he's any better of an option as #1 QB than Cam.