Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

NFL Week 1 2021: Rookie QBs Taking Over

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Painful loss considering the drive the Patriots were on at the end.

Random thoughts
- Patriots are definitely gearing up towards a power downhill running game. Damien Harris looked really good and ran for 100 on a very tough opponent. That fumble was a game-ender though, especially given it was at Miami's 8-yard line and the Patriots looked poise to get the lead with at least a gimme FG there.
- Mac Jones is the real deal. Was consistently taking what Miami gave him and accepting just getting 1st Downs as opposed to trying for the big home run play that often got Cam in trouble last year. Was willing to simply hit whoever was open but also lasered several throws down the field too including a pure rocket to Agholor for 25 yards. His touch on the wheel route throw to White was particularly impressive as it was a staple play for the offense & Brady. Jonnu and Henry are definitely gonna be weapons this year and add another dimension to the offense to help Mac out.
- The defense was solid albeit inconsistent at times, especially against the run. 909 and I briefly talked about this in chat but I'll take a defense that allows a ton of yards if they keep points off the board and the Patriots only allowed 17 points to Miami. Pats outgained Miami by 134 yards offensively and still lost by 1 point. They also forced Miami to go 4/11 on 3rd Downs while going 11/16 themselves and that made a big difference in having an opportunity to get the lead/win late in the game.
- The DBs will have to recognize the threat of a running QB better as Tua was able to run at will on the few zone read keepers he did and the DBs were overaggressive in pursuing the RB. Uche remains our best pass rusher and Judon is gonna be a beast as he bulldozed a tight end? on one play right into Tua's lap shoving that dude a good 7-10 yards. Prime Gronk like domination.
- Waddle is gonna be a threat for the Dolphins when they start going down the field more as he showed some explosion against the Pats D.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That was such a garbage game until the fourth quarter and then it capped off a great week 1. So happy Football is back.

Staff member
Reaction score
That's the first time I've seen the Raiders have a decent defense in at least 15 years.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Hey 909, do you think it's just a week 1 thing or is last night already an indictment on Ruggs and his position on the WR pecking order?

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey 909, do you think it's just a week 1 thing or is last night already an indictment on Ruggs and his position on the WR pecking order?

He was blanketed by Humphrey all night. I don’t really know tbh. Humphrey was an all pro though.

Staff member
Reaction score
That being said Waller will always get 12 targets because he literally can’t be covered so maybe it is a sign of the way things will go.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That being said Waller will always get 12 targets because he literally can’t be covered so maybe it is a sign of the way things will go.
I was asking because during the broadcast, they talked about how the staff were saying Edwards has a greater upside than Ruggs and that he seemed to be kept off the field at points I'd think a WR 1/2 would be available for.