Status
Not open for further replies.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eastern Conference

No. 1 Boston Bruins vs. No. 8 Montreal Canadiens
Thursday, April 16, Montreal at Boston, 7 p.m. ET
Saturday, April 18, Montreal at Boston, 8 p.m.
Monday, April 20, Boston at Montreal, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 22, Boston at Montreal, 7 p.m.
*--Saturday, April 25, Montreal at Boston, 7 p.m.
*--Monday, April 27, Boston at Montreal, TBD
*--Wednesday, April 29, Montreal at Boston, TBD

No. 2 Washington Capitals vs. No. 7 New York Rangers
Wednesday, April 15, NY Rangers at Washington, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 18, NY Rangers at Washington, 1 p.m.
Monday, April 20, Washington at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
Wednesday, April 22, Washington at NY Rangers, 7 p.m.
*--Friday, April 24, NY Rangers at Washington, 7 p.m.
*--Sunday, April 26, Washington at NY Rangers, 2 p.m.
*--Tuesday, April 28, NY Rangers at Washington, TBD

No. 3 New Jersey Devils vs. No. 6 Carolina Hurricanes
Wednesday, April 15, Carolina at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.
Friday, April 17, Carolina at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 19, New Jersey at Carolina, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday, April 21, New Jersey at Carolina, 7:30 p.m.
*--Thursday, April 23, Carolina at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.
*--Sunday, April 26, New Jersey at Carolina, TBD
*--Tuesday, April 28, Carolina at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m.

No. 4 Pittsburgh Penguins vs. No. 5 Philadelphia Flyers
Wednesday, April 15, Philadelphia at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Friday, April 17, Philadelphia at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
Sunday, April 19, Pittsburgh at Philadelphia, 3 p.m.
Tuesday, April 21, Pittsburgh at Philadelphia, 7 p.m.
*--Thursday, April 23, Philadelphia at Pittsburgh, 7 p.m.
*--Saturday, April 25, Pittsburgh at Philadelphia, 3 p.m.
*--Monday, April 27, Philadelphia at Pittsburgh, TBD

Western Conference

No. 1 San Jose Sharks vs. No. 8 Anaheim Ducks
Thursday, April 16, Anaheim at San Jose, 10:30 p.m.
Sunday, April 19, Anaheim at San Jose, 10 p.m.
Tuesday, April 21, San Jose at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m.
Thursday, April 23, San Jose at Anaheim, 10:30 p.m.
*--Saturday, April 25, Anaheim at San Jose, 10 p.m.
*--Monday, April 27, San Jose at Anaheim, TBD
*--Wednesday, April 29, Anaheim at San Jose, TBD

No. 2 Detroit Red Wings vs. No. 7 Columbus Blue Jackets
Thursday, April 16, Columbus at Detroit, 7 p.m.
Saturday, April 18, Columbus at Detroit, 6 p.m.
Tuesday, April 21, Detroit at Columbus, 7 p.m.
Thursday, April 23, Detroit at Columbus, 7 p.m.
*--Saturday, April 25, Columbus at Detroit, 7 p.m.
*--Monday, April 27, Detroit at Columbus, TBD
*--Wednesday, April 29, Columbus at Detroit, TBD

No. 3 Vancouver Canucks vs. No. 6 St. Louis Blues
Wednesday, April 15, St. Louis at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Friday, April 17, St. Louis at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
Sunday, April 19, Vancouver at St. Louis, 7 p.m.
Tuesday, April 21, Vancouver at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
*--Friday, April 24, St. Louis at Vancouver, 10 p.m.
*--Sunday, April 26, Vancouver at St. Louis, 8 p.m.
*--Tuesday, April 28, St. Louis at Vancouver, TBD

No. 4 Chicago Blackhawks vs. No. 5 Calgary Flames
Thursday, April 16, Calgary at Chicago, 8:30 p.m.
Saturday, April 18, Calgary at Chicago, TBD
Monday, April 20, Chicago at Calgary, 9:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 22, Chicago at Calgary, TBD
*--Saturday, April 25, Calgary at Chicago, 10 p.m.
*--Monday, April 27, Chicago at Calgary, TBD
*--Wednesday, April 29, Calgary at Chicago, TBD

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I'm excited about the playoffs because I think half the teams could go all the way.

Prediction:
Sharks in 5
Jackets in 6
Canucks in 7
Flames in 5
Bruins in 5
Washington 7
Carolina in 6
Pittsburgh in 7

OG

OG
Reaction score
This will be an interesting playoffs, both conferences are wide open:

Sharks in 6
- The Ducks are the more physical team and will tyr to wear down the Sharks. Plus, the Ducks are peaking at the right time. However, this Sharks team is insanely hungry and is, overall, the superior team. Giguere has been on and off while Nabokov is at the top of his game. That will be the difference.

Red Wings in 6
- Mason will steal a game in Columbus and Osgood will cost the Red Wings a game but, in the end, the Wings are just too good. Won't be the most exciting series, that's for sure.

Canucks in 5
- The Blues are playing way over their heads while the Canucks are as hot as they've been all year. Luongo is on fire and Sundin will, finally, turn it up. The Canucks are the much better team and it'll show.

Flames in 7
- Knock down drag-out series, probably the best of the first round. The Blackhawks lack of experience will doom them and they'll wear themselves out by game 7. The Flames are the deeper team and have a better goalie.

Bruins in 7
- The Canadiens are stumbling into the playoffs while the Bruins have been in cruise control for weeks. The Bruins should dominate but it's never that easy with these two teams. I see this series as being the exact opposite of last year. The Canadiens will make it tough, Kovalev will show up and all of Montreal will get its hopes up - then Thomas will shut them out in game 7.

Capitals in 6
- Lundqvist will steal 2 games for the Rangers but the Capitals are the better team in every other aspect. Up front, they have depth and experience (Federov is a proven playoff performer) and their D is solid and doesn't have Wade Redden. It will go 6 games thanks to Henrik but the Rangers will look overmatched from game 1.

Devils in 4
- The Devils have the better goalie, the better defence, the better forwards, they're deeper, more experienced etc. The Hurrican's have no chance.

Penguins in 7
- Toughest series to call. I may be a tad biased being a Penguins fan but I think they'll have just enough to win a thrilling game 7 at home. The Flyers will control the first half of the series but they'll struggle at closing it out and it'll cost them.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
My predictions:

Western Conference
San Jose Sharks vs. Anaheim Ducks: If you had asked me how this was going to go a month ago, I'd say Sharks in 5. Right now, it's going to be a LOT closer than that. Anaheim plays better against the Sharks, and both teams play a very physical game. This is going to be an awesome, awesome brawl of a series. Sharks in 7, but the true winners are the fans (And whoever has to play the Sharks next).

Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: Argh. I just hate looking at those words. The Blue Jackets look a lot like the Ducks of 2003, with a great coach, a good team playing in top form, and a hot goalie. They also have the added benefit of having a true superstar in their forwards with Rick Nash. But... this isn't the Red Wings of 2003. Back then, they were a mix of old guys starting to pass on the legacy and nervous new guys. This is a team that isn't in transition, and they have a guy who can keep them hungry in Hossa. I think Red Wings in 6, and I'll feel a little bad that the Jackets got stuck with us instead of, say, Vancouver. Oh well.

Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues: The two teams I was expecting to miss the playoffs in one matchup. I think Vancouver is the better team, and has a goalie that can be absolutely lights out when he needs to be. St. Louis has gotten a lot out of their new guys, but SUNDIN~! will not be denied in the first round. Canucks in 5.

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Calgary Flames: Young, very talented team vs. older, gritty team. I'm going to take the Blackhawks in 7, because while they are ultimately the better team, I think Calgary will give them a good fight. Plus, Kiprusoff can always steal a game.

Eastern Conference
Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens: Wow, Boston came out of nowhere this year. I knew they were talented, but 1st place, second in the league? Christ. The Habs have been the biggest disappointment in the Eastern Conference (The biggest disappointment overall being the Dallas Stars), and I can't see this going on for long. Bruins in 5, and a riot in Montreal.

Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers: Washington has come alive as a team, and the Rangers aren't nearly as good as they could be. Torts will get a win, but nothing more. Capitals in 5, and Ovechkin does dance as he advances to the second round.

New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes: The Devils have been one of the best teams of the year, and I could see them going all the way to the Conference finals. Carolina is probably the best bet for an upset in the East, but I think they'll be going down here. Devils in 6.

Philadelphia Flyers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins: Oh man, this is going to be a brutal series. Pittsburgh got worse, the Flyers got better, and this time their lineup isn't full of holes. I see the Flyers brutalizing Crosby and the Pens. Flyers in 6, in a series perhaps even more vicious than the Sharks/Ducks series.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Boston in 5
Washington in 6
Carolina in 7
Pittsburgh in 6
San Jose in 7
Detroit in 6
Vancouver in 4
Calgary in 6

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
East:
Boston in 6 - Montreal has looked like shit for most of the past few months, but I think they can still eek out a win or 2 at home.
Washington in 6 - Maybe Sean Avery get's himself killed.
New Jersey in 5 - I don't want Paul Maurice to win.
Pittsburgh in 7 - Remember when Lilian Garcia announced Kurt Angle from 'Pittsburgh, Philadelphia'?

West:
San Jose in 6 - The Sharks usually wait until the 2nd round to choke.
Columbus in 7 - Because I need to pick some big upset.
Vancouver in 5 - Luongo, but I'm glad St. Louis is back in the playoffs.
Chicago in 7 - Do the Flames have any d-men left?

The league got some really good match-ups this year. In the East, everyone outside of Jersey/Carolina has either a big and/or traditional market and at least the Hurricanes draw good crowds in the playoffs. The West is pretty much the same, and they have to be glad that the Blue Jackets finally made it in.

wnyxmcneal

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think this is going to be a fun playoffs. There's really no clear cut favourite, and almost anyone can win

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It's kind of funny; despite living in Calgary and rooting for a #1 seed last year, I feel far more excited for these playoffs than I remember last year:

Sharks in 4
Games will be close, probably a few OT decisions. It's easy to forget how much playoff talent the Ducks have, including the 2003 Conn Smythe winner in a losing effort. I also buy the argument that to some degree, the young Sharks do not have heaps of late-round experience, which should earn McLellan a free pass if the Sharks bow out early. But I'm going to take the Sharks in four, simply on the grounds that Star Ocean will be intolerable after about five games.

Red Wings in 6
Mason will steal a game in Columbus and Osgood will cost the Red Wings a game but, in the end, the Wings are just too good.
This, but I don't agree with the 'exciting' assessment. I think it should be an electric series: The first playoffs ever in what's already an underrated market, up against an interdivision rival?

Canucks in 5
I'll take Luongo over any other goalie in the West in a big game. The Blues showed a hell of a lot of moxie to get into the playoffs, but that only gets them another week.

Flames in 6
Far and away, the best-looking series in the West, for reasons similar to the Wings-Jackets. As much fun as the Hawks are to watch, Calgary's simply the better team, even with their ugly final few weeks.

Habs in 7
Homer pick. I don't need to justify it.

Capitals in 7
Outside of Fedorov, the Caps don't really have a tonne of playoff experience, and they're going up against a bevy of Cup-winners and finalists. Take that away, and, except in net, the Caps are by far the better team up and down the line.

Devils in 4
A rested Brodeur, and no Sean Avery? Devils win this series in three games.

Flyers in 6
As I learned the hard way last spring, Philly's a tough team to play against in the playoffs. Most of the Pens' problems this season can rightfully be attributed to Therrien, but if Sidney Crosby is your policeman against a tough, hated rival, yikes.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I can't believe the Hawks are in a good spot in the playoffs, but the many people picking against them worries me about their chances. Yeah I haven't actually been able to follow them as well as I'd like.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think a lot of people are selling the Blackhawks short, and not just because Kane/Toews/Keith/Versteeg/Sharp are short. I don't think the Flames are "simply better" than the Blackhawks, inasmuch as the Flames, for all their talent which I do not doubt, couldn't beat the Blackhawks ONCE all year:
Nov. 9th in Chicago: 6-1 Hawks
Dec. 19th in Calgary: 3-2 Hawks in overtime
Jan. 4th in Chicago: 5-2 Hawks
Feb. 5th in Calgary: 5-2 Hawks

Granted, there are variables here: Calgary added Jokinen to the fold after wrapping up this season series, and claimed they were not always well-rested heading into those games. However, they appeared extremely banged up in the home stretch, especially on the blue line, and that's where they'd need to be at their best more than anywhere else against a team that will roll out a four-line attack of speedy little guys that take lots of shots. I know that "the game changes in the playoffs" and favors physicality and goaltending (where the Hawks are weak and inconsistent, respectively), but the Flames, especially Kiprusoff, have appeared so thoroughly solved throughout the regular season that I don't think it's a fait accompli that the Flames can just casually roll into a rink packed with 23,000 screaming heretofore-playoff-deprived hockey fanatics and easily check the kids into oblivion with the duct-taped remnants of Robyn Regehr and Dion Phaneuf. Maybe they're better. I don't know. Kiprusoff's a stud. "Simply better," however, indicates ignorance of the situation or willful head-up-ass thinking.

OG

OG
Reaction score
I think the Flames are a better team. They're D is deeper (assuming everyone's back - which they should be), their goaltending is much better and their offence is no worse. However, the Blackhawks have played a lot better for the majority of the season. If Calgary plays to potential, they should take this in 6 and are, arguably, the 2nd most Cup ready team in the NHL after Detroit. Problem is, they haven't played to potential since about 2004. Something or other always falters for them unexpectedly.

Itll happen again and, thus, the series will go 7 but I think the Flames can punish the Blackhawks (and push around their "speedy little guys") enough to wear them down. Then again, it's also possible that the Flames continue their inconsistency and bow out in 5 or 6.

Either way, it is the most interesting series of the first round for my money.

Staff member
Reaction score
8.1% chance of drinking myself into a coma tonight. Please deliver, 8.1 percent.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Your points remain valid, Gobbles, but why should I be so confident that Iginla/Phaneuf/et al will be able to flick away Toews/Kane/Versteeg like it's nothin' if they've given no prior indication whatsoever that they could do so? Aside from the Coyotes, who sucked ass, nobody looked worse against the Hawks than the Flames. Given the objective content of the 2008-09 season, the Blackhawks are a better team than the Flames: they finished with more points and wins, and beat them every single time they played. That doesn't mean the Flames can't win the series, but I don't think they're the better team. I wouldn't be so hyperdefensive about all these people picking Calgary if they'd managed to win one stinkin' game all season. Just one is all it would take.

CanadianGuitarist

Integral Poster
Reaction score
chchchchchchczech it out said:
"Simply better," however, indicates ignorance of the situation or willful head-up-ass thinking.

I stand by my assessment, even though I don't have a chance in crafting an argument like Czech's. It's the playoffs; funny things happen.

Tawren

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Western Conference
San Jose Sharks vs. Anaheim Ducks: The Ducks are physical but the Sharks were the top team in the league for a reason. Sharks in 5.

Detroit Red Wings vs. Columbus Blue Jackets: This is really tough to call because if CBJ gets hot, especially their goaltending, they could steal it. I think we'll see a 2-0, 2-1, 3-1, 3-2 progression leading to a 4-2 win for the Red Wings. They're just too experienced and are also going to be desperate especially with Hossa.

Vancouver Canucks vs. St. Louis Blues: SUNDIN. WANTS. THE. CUP. Or something, not that I care. The Blues were the best team in the second half of the season but the Canucks are super hot after stealing first in the NW. This is the hardest first round to call in my opinion. 4-3 Blues.

Chicago Blackhawks vs. Calgary Flames: The Flames have a habit of not showing up in the playoffs since 2004, especially in Game 7's if we'll all recall their escapades against the Ducks. Plus Chicago is going to be fucking jacked with the arena going crazy, and as Calgary was sub-.500 on the road they are in trouble here. Khabibulin vs Kiprusoff again is also cool. I am going to watch all these games for sure, but I'll go Blackhawks in 6.

Eastern Conference
Boston Bruins vs. Montreal Canadiens: I fucking hate Montreal. Bruins in 5.

Washington Capitals vs. New York Rangers: Washington is such a fun team to watch and I've seen little NYR so I can't say much about them. Hopefully we get a few fun games, I'll go Caps in 5.

New Jersey Devils vs. Carolina Hurricanes: The Devils are pretty much all-or-nothing. Judging by how good Brodeur has seemed in just 30 appearances, I think they may have a finals appearance in them. Carolina is hot but I just don't think they are that good. Devils in 6.

Philadelphia Flyers vs. Pittsburgh Penguins: I hope the Flyers just beat the shit (through legal hits) out of Crosby and his whiny bitchy self. Go Flyers in 6.

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know it's the playoffs and funny things happen, which is why it's silly to try to predict the outcomes of any of this, but when one team's next win against the other will be its first in at least five tries, how are they "simply better"? That's a really poor choice of words.

Staff member
Reaction score
My picks

West

Sharks in 6. The Ducks are thin offensively, but Nabokov is nothing great. The Sharks are completely stacked, the Ducks physicality lends itself to stupidity, and they get beat.

Wings in 5. I am not down with the rookie goaltending crew.

Canucks in 5. Blues are too young and I will never be sold on Chris Mason. They just won't be able to score.

Flames in 7. Best series of the first round. Goaltending is the difference.

East

Bruins in 4. Sorry Montreal, you suck.

Capitals in 5. I love this team. Don't think they'll win it all, but I love watching them. The Rangers have no offense, at all. It just isn't there for whatever reason. In New York they will play kind of well, but on the road is completely different and they will get clobbered.

Devils in 6. Carolina is pretty thin up front, the Devils are not. Carolina does not exactly have great shutdown defensemen. I don't know why I'm saying this will go 6. It probably will not.

Penguins in 5. I'm preparing to see the Flyers get BUTTfucked on live television. Again, goaltending.

Let's go with a Calgary/New Jersey Final.

zio

Integral Poster
Reaction score
909 said:
My picks

West

Sharks in 6. The Ducks are thin offensively, but Nabokov is nothing great. The Sharks are completely stacked, the Ducks physicality lends itself to stupidity, and they get beat.

Wings in 5. I am not down with the rookie goaltending crew.

Canucks in 5. Blues are too young and I will never be sold on Chris Mason. They just won't be able to score.

Flames in 7. Best series of the first round. Goaltending is the difference.

East

Bruins in 4. Sorry Montreal, you suck.

Capitals in 5. I love this team. Don't think they'll win it all, but I love watching them. The Rangers have no offense, at all. It just isn't there for whatever reason. In New York they will play kind of well, but on the road is completely different and they will get clobbered.

Devils in 6. Carolina is pretty thin up front, the Devils are not. Carolina does not exactly have great shutdown defensemen. I don't know why I'm saying this will go 6. It probably will not.

Penguins in 5. I'm preparing to see the Flyers get BUTTfucked on live television. Again, goaltending.

Let's go with a Calgary/New Jersey Final.

No offense but I surely hope none of your picks are correct. That's awful.

OG

OG
Reaction score
The ESPN preview of the Rangers/Capitals series nailed it perfectly: the games the Rangers win will have an average score of 2-1, the games the Caps win will average about 5-2. If the Rangers win in 7, they'll have a negative goal differential. I don't see them winning but I totally agree with that assesment.

Smartly Pretty

PujolJunkie
Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree with that on the grounds that Jose Theodore is going to give up a lot more than 2 goals a game. It's Jose Theodore, you guys. Playoff hockey is about goaltending, and the Capitals goaltender is Jose Theodore.

Staff member
Reaction score
zio said:
909 said:

No offense but I surely hope none of your picks are correct. That's awful.

I also hope they aren't correct. Calgary/New Jersey sounds awfully fucking boring. I would love to see the Canucks, Penguins, and Devils get bounced.

Next USC #55

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ok guys, seriously. The experts elsewhere are mostly picking the Hawks to beat the Flames, yet the Flames get more of love here. Something's not right here. Tell me straight up. Are the Hawks contenders for real?

Czech

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A qualified yes: it'll take Khabibulin being as on as he's been at times this year; and dodging the Red Wings, who have had the Hawks' number all year long (the inverse of last year, strangely, when the Wings won the Cup but struggled with the 9th place Hawks). They're not a prohibitive favorite to win the Cup--I'm not sure if anyone is, really--but they're not cannon fodder, either. Even if they don't win a championship this year, which they probably won't, they'll be in contention for years to come. Rocky Wirtz & John McDonough are passionately committed to winning both games and hearts, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Toews, Kane, Sharp, Versteeg, Keith, Seabrook, and Bolland (in order of likelihood) get locked in for many years to come.

Why so many people are picking the Flames here is beyond me. I'd chalk it up to a level of unfamiliarity. There's no other explanation, considering I've had to explain to the board multiple times that Calgary lost all four games. I'd think that if one were bearing that in mind, one would pick "the team that swept" over "the team that got swept," but I'm not Canadian so maybe I just don't get hockey on the higher level required to declare a swept team "simply better." Granted, the Blackhawks are the youngest team in the league (have you seen Patrick Kane? He looks 12!), and still don't get the exposure that the Red Wings, Bruins, Rangers, and Canadian teams get. Iginla, Phaneuf, and Kiprusoff are proven commodities, even if they've proven in the last few postseasons how easily they can get caught napping. Still, it's easy to see that one team has those guys, and say "oh, Flames in 6."

From talking to folks from this board, I think a lot of people forgot all about Martin Havlat and assumed he was hurt like always. On the contrary, he had 29 goals and 48 assists over 81 games, and has been one of the most important players the last few games, making sure the Hawks finished strong. Sammy Pahlsson has the Valuable Playoff Experience that people treasure, and finally seems to be over his mono. The trade that brought him here also cleared out a spot on the blue line for Niklas Hjalmarsson, who has looked really good since pairing with Brian Campbell (another playoff guy). Another thing that looks good for the Hawks is how evenly distributed their scoring seems:
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=Stats
It's not as if they're the Penguins where it's Crosby, Malkin, and a big dropoff, so there's no easy way to shut the team down. Even the fourth line has 23 goals on the year.

So yeah, the Hawks can beat the Flames, they might be able to knock off the Sharks and Canucks, but the Red Wings are their kryptonite.

OriginalGoblin said:
I think the Flames are a better team. ... their goaltending is much better and their offence is no worse.
Goals scored: CHI 264, CGY 254
Goals allowed: CHI 216, CGY 248
Intangibles: CHI not enough, CGY oodles

jwest27

Active Poster
Reaction score
Since the Blues are in the playoffs, I'm taking the opportunity to finally attempt to get into hockey. Reading this thread, it seems that they're pretty much doomed, but oh well. Hopefully they'll make it interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.