Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nintendo Chatter v2

Thoth

Curleh Mustache~
Reaction score
If you were looking for a copy of Fire Emblem, Nintendo or someone fucked up the distribution, making the game almost impossible to find in stores.

Meanwhile, the eShop has an infinite number of copies.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Was thinking of adding that to my wife's Valentine's day present. Guess if it's impossible to find she'll have to wait for her birthday.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Animal Crossing: New Leaf finally has a US release date. June 9th. Not sure why it took so long to get it localized. I think I'm pretty much over the Animal Crossing series as the Wii one didn't hold my interest very long at all, but I've heard good things about this one and my wife will certainly want it so I'll probably mess around with her copy of it.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
DKC Returns getting ported to the 3DS is good news for people like me hoping for a Wii U sequel.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wii Street U is available for free download. Basically Google Maps. You use the gamepad to look around, like, actually physically moving the gamepad around to look around.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just picked one up in prep for MH3 Ultimate and I gotta say.. The Wii U pro controller is pretty great! I think it feels like a combo of the PS3 dualshock and a thinner 360 controller.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally beat Donkey Kong Country returns tonight. I used to think I was decent at platforming games but holy fuck did this one kick my ass. Lots of fun though, but FUCK those barrel flying levels right up the ass.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Installed the Homebrew Channel on my Wii, and am currently (well, not at the moment since I'm at work) playing Tecmo Superbowl 3 as the Dolphins. Steamrolled the Jets & Pats (hung 73 points on NE, which includes 2 fumbles, 1 int, and 1 KR all returned for TDs), beat Cincinnati fairly easily, and beat Pittsburgh after pulling away in the 4th in what was a close game up to that point. Fumbled 4 times in Pitt territory and lost 3 of them. The 4th was by my RB as he was crossing the goal line, but fortunately I was able to recover it in the endzone.

Don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ten years ago gaming online with a console was pretty awful, poorly implemented and not at all exciting, dude.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, I consider myself a pretty hardcore gamer, my entire life, and online wasn't even a "thing" for me until 2008 when I bought a PS3.. and even then, I don't think I even started to care about online features in games until maybe 2009. So I would say more like "welcome to 5 years ago." Which isn't too long ago, tbh.

Anyway... I think you have to take his answer from a "Nintendo perspective." He's saying it's exciting for Nintendo and what they want to do now. Even though the Wii had online capabilities, they didn't see it as something they needed to focus on, for their audience, until now.. when pretty much everyone is connected due to social-based websites, smartphones, apps, etc...

I love how Nintendo embracing a now universal feature is supposed to be a bad thing. Yet if they were still "meh, online, not really our thing," people would be all over that, too. Make up your minds.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
If you want a 3DS, you can start saving now:
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/15/report-pikachu-3ds-xl-to-go-for-160-at-target-regular-3ds-13/

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Current and Upcoming eShop releases via Joystiq:

Both Rayman Origins and Mega Man 3 arrive on the 3DS eShop today, along with a HarmoKnight demo and a pair of DSiWare games in Forgotten Legions and Goony.

Nintendo has also announced several games slated for March 19, including Wii U downloads of retail games Lego City Undercover (which we found disappointing), Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate and Need for Speed: Most Wanted U.

The Wii U Virtual Console version of Punch-Out!! (not Mike Tyson's version, mind you) will enter the ring on March 20.

Wii U eShop
Lego City Undercover (Nintendo, 1 player, $49.99, available March 19)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, 1-4 players, $39.99, available March 19)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted U (EA, 1-6 players, $59.99, available March 19)
Punch-Out!! Featuring Mr. Dream (Nintendo, 1 player, $0.30, available March 20)
Demo: Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, 1-5 players, free, available March 19)
The Croods: Prehistoric Party (D3Publisher 1-4 players, $39.99, available March 19)

3DS eShop
Mega Man 3 (Capcom, 1 player, $4.99)
Rayman Origins (Ubisoft, 1-4 players, $29.99)
Reel Fishing Paradise 3D (Natsume, 1 player, $19.99)
Demo: HarmoKnight (Nintendo, 1 player, free)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom, 1-4 players, $39.99, available March 19)
The Croods: Prehistoric Party (D3Publisher, 1 payer, $39.99, available March 19)

DSiWare
Forgotten Legions (Cypronia, 1 player, $4.99 / 500 Points)
Goony (Circle Entertainment LTD, 1 player, $1.99 / 200 Points)

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
When is Zen Pinball 2 coming out for the Wii U? I wanna play me some of those Star Wars boards.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
March 21!

http://m.joystiq.com/2013/03/15/zen-pinball-2-flies-down-the-wii-u-chute-march-21/?post=1&icid=joystiq_home_latest_art

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yes!

The freshly minted Star Wars tables have not been announced for Nintendo platforms, so naturally there's no mention of them in the announcement.

Aw.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zBmg_CNsQcc
Still too long, but certainly a vast improvement.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/03/28/miiverse-coming-soon-to-smartphones-pc

Miiverse Coming Soon to Smartphones, PC: In just a few weeks you'll be able to access the awesome art of Miiverse anytime, anywhere.

During a Miiverse panel at this year's Game Developer's Conference, we were finally given an update on the status of a Miiverse application coming to smartphones and PC. Fans of this Wii U haven for incredible art will be pleased to know that the app will be leaving the confines of Nintendo's newest home console in just a few weeks.

To be a tad more specific, Miiverse producer Kiyoshi Mizuki stated that the app would be available in April or May, though a firm date has yet to be pinned down. As reported earlier, a 3DS version of Miiverse is still in the works, though there's still no word on when it will be ready. Mizuki-san did, however, state that certain existing 3DS titles will not immediately have Miiverse functionality, though he didn't specify which ones.

It was also revealed that a few more Miiverse updates are on the way. Soon you'll actually be able to link out to specific parts of a game in a post, so that your followers can easily access whatever part you're talking about (presumably only if they've gotten that far). You'll also be able to follow and even reply to other users from within a game, rather than having to open the Miiverse app.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Crazy Smues in Space said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zBmg_CNsQcc
Still too long, but certainly a vast improvement.
Actually that feels like it's at least on par with PS3's time from quitting a game and coming back to the full XMB. I'm sure someone out there will time it when it's released, though.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Last time I was in NYC the Nintendo Store's history display area (which I call a small museum but I don't actually know if that is accurate) was all about Zelda's anniversary. Now it's general Nintendo timeline stuff, but what's funny is one of their middle display cases seems to be a Hall of Shame:

- Virtual Boy (included a clearance / used sticker with a $29.99 price)
- DVD / VHS for The Wizard, SMB: The Movie, Captain N, and I think Super Show / Zelda.
- Action figures I never knew existed based on the movie, including one where they appeared to have made John Leguizamo a black Luigi.

I'll post it eventually.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ordered a pre-owned Madden 13 off Gamestop.com. I have a $26 credit from GS burning a hole in my e-wallet, and it was listed for $39.99, so with shipping & tax it camed out to $22.64. Haven't played a Madden game in a looooong time, so I figured "what the hell".

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spaceman Spiff said:
Installed the Homebrew Channel on my Wii, and am currently (well, not at the moment since I'm at work) playing Tecmo Superbowl 3 as the Dolphins. Steamrolled the Jets & Pats (hung 73 points on NE, which includes 2 fumbles, 1 int, and 1 KR all returned for TDs), beat Cincinnati fairly easily, and beat Pittsburgh after pulling away in the 4th in what was a close game up to that point. Fumbled 4 times in Pitt territory and lost 3 of them. The 4th was by my RB as he was crossing the goal line, but fortunately I was able to recover it in the endzone.

Don't know why I didn't do this earlier.
Finished the regular season 16-0. The game selects the MVP, Off. Player of the Year, and Def. Player of the Year. My RB ended up with 2300+ yards and 40+ TDs, so p. much a lock for MVP, right? Nope, that went to a safety from the Browns. He didn't even get OPOY as that went to the center from the Bills (haha, what?). My d-lineman that I always controlled, who ended up with 60+ sacks, didn't get DPOY, either, as that went to the Browns safety.

The game also selects the All-Pro team. OJ McDuffie was my starting KR, and got chosen as the All-Pro at that spot. Sure, he was only 1 of 2 players to have a KR TD, but he got hurt early in the season, ending up w/ only 10 total returns. The guy who got snubbed was the guy I permanently replaced him with, who ended up w/ 7 KR TDs and 1600+ KR yards.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Mattdango said:
I had at least four of those action figures.

Well as promised, here is the Hall of Shame (and other things too)::

DSCN1137_zps30692fe7.jpg

DSCN1138_zpsb86b436e.jpg

DSCN1135_zps7af2a697.jpg

DSCN1134_zps6938b1c3.jpg

DSCN1133_zps37e2a180.jpg

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
WiiU games? Nah, but hey at least we didn't forget about the 3ds right?
Mario Party 3ds this winter! Mario and Luigi: Dreamteam this August! Yoshis Island 3ds sometime! Mario and donkeykong: minis on the move next month on the eshop!

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Earthbound for WiiU virtual console this year. Geek out fanboys!

(I still haven't played it, so now will probably finally be the time.)

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
WiiU system update drops next week.
The download store for Nintendo’s new home console will be morphing next week, alongside the long-awaited firmware update for the Wii U.

The new software will let you move data from one USB drive to another and supports automatic update downloads while in standby mode. Virtual console games will be playable off-tv on the Wii U gamepad and Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said that the company’s looking to bring GBA and N64 games coming to the Wii U virtual console, as well.