Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nintendo Chatter v2

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
So after register Shin Megami Tensei IV at club nintendo a thing popped up telling me they had a promotion on where if you register that and Fire Emblem by August 31st you get $30 in e-shop credit, and oh ho ho I registered Fire Emblem long ago. Hooray "free" credit. I plunked $10 of it down on Earthbound, and was going to use the rest of Super Luigi U, but I think I'm going to hold off on that and wait for Ducktales next week. TO THE MOON MOTHERFUCKERS.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A few places in Canada have been clearing out the Basic models of the Wii U. Walmart has it in this week's flyer for $199, and I guess some places like Best Buy and Future Shop may be matching that. That didn't really tempt me at all. Then I saw that the things might ring up for $150 at Target. I didn't exactly run out the door at that offer either, but I stopped at a location yesterday, and they had a few. So I have a Wii U. Still in the box, and it may well stay there, but I have one.

I still have no idea what I would even play on the thing. I have a moderate interest in Donkey Kong Country Returns, but that's a few months off, and it's only one game. I doubt Cat Mario will be enough to get me to buy that game. Something like Watch_Dogs has the potential for something interesting to be done with the tablet. But I also feel like the Wii U version will be the least important of 6 or 7 versions of the game to Ubisoft. Nothing else I'm aware of makes me feel like I need to keep the system.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Conservative Brony said:
The Wind Waker remake is going to cost $50 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Make that $60! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://kotaku.com/chicagos-l-becomes-the-luigi-train-for-a-day-1120353020

ku-bigpic.jpg

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nintendo announces the 2DS (no joke): http://kotaku.com/introducing-the-nintendo-2ds-no-thats-not-a-typo-1214807721

ku-bigpic.gif

:eek:

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wii U is also getting a price drop as of Sept 20: http://kotaku.com/wii-u-price-drops-50-effective-september-20-1214840727

$299 USD

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
The 2DS looks amateurish. No way around saying this. It looks like something I'd buy second hand rather than a Nintendo product.

And oh look, a U price drop. Not surprised that it happened, but more surprised that only was a month in advance of the new consoles. Was thinking it would be earlier. Though considering it would be the same price as the PS4, that might be why they waited till just now.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nah, it'd still be $50 cheaper than the PS4 at it's old price ($349). That said, I think they still need to bring it down to $249~$269.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wii U at $350 vs. PS4 at $400... that seems like a complete no-brainer. I don't know that a $300 Wii U helps things all that much.

Apart from the thing looking pretty horrendous, I don't understand how little hands will hold the 2DS, and still be able to hit shoulder buttons.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I think you are rigbt Tig concerning the price for the Wii U to really make an impact on choice. If you are spending a lot of money, $100 isn't really going to make or break someone. Over $100 though would definitely do so.

That's another thing with the 2DS. The shoulder buttons are all the way up on the top. How exactly do you hit those as a little guy? Unless you hold it near the top maybe? The buttons are kind of high up on the console...

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Q6RW0TY9g

opsuVUF.png

That looks somewhat doable for little hands. Move him down to the D-pad, however, and I'm not so sure he'll be able to hit the L button very well.

Later in the video are adult hands, and it doesn't look especially comfortable to me.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
:-\ Hm, seems like the shoulder buttons are all the way around each corner, so it isn't as bad as I thought. Still doesn't look as comfy as my 3DS though.

This almost looks like a gimmick to get people to buy their kids a 2DS, then kids complain that it isn't as nice as their friends 3DS, which means that they trade in the 2DS for a 3DS. This way Nintendo would get twice the sales... Aw fuck, that's why it is like that.

Nintendo, you magnificent bastards~!

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flik said:
:-\ Hm, seems like the shoulder buttons are all the way around each corner, so it isn't as bad as I thought. Still doesn't look as comfy as my 3DS though.

This almost looks like a gimmick to get people to buy their kids a 2DS, then kids complain that it isn't as nice as their friends 3DS, which means that they trade in the 2DS for a 3DS. This way Nintendo would get twice the sales... Aw fuck, that's why it is like that.

Nintendo, you magnificent bastards~!
Pretty much, or you end up with a ton of 2DS units with gunky and scratched up screens so the kids then, in turn, beg the parents to buy the more expensive clamshell as an upgrade.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't tried 3D media enough to know if I can actually see or stand it, but I also don't really care about it. If they were to offer a clamshell 2DS XL, I'd probably be interested in that. If its shape were maybe a little less angular, that'd be nice too.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I heard about the 2DS and thought 'That kind of makes sense.' Then I saw the picture...what the fuck?

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ROFL dat ABC News: http://news.yahoo.com/video/nintendo-announces-2ds-lowers-wii-142527753.html

Nintendo releasing the 2D's that plays the same games as the 3D's!

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
If that thing wasn't so ugly, I'd probably get it.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
I honestly don't know why they didn't just design it like the regular 3DS (with all the buttons around the bottom screen) but without the hinge. Just put L and R on the back where your fingers would naturally be.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't think anyone specifically pointed out that Wind Waker HD is being released digitally (and in the console bundle) 2 weeks before physical copies in North America. Kind of an interesting strategy, taking advantage of that dead space between when the game is actually done, and when there's enough copies to be shipped to retail.

Even if this gains traction, I won't be changing my habits, since I don't pay $50-60 for digital, and I very rarely feel the need to pounce on a game ASAP.

Adam Sessler talked a bit about it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsM3I-JsJp4

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I don't really mind digital as much as I thought I would.. The only things the companies need to change are the price (at least $10 cheaper plz) and this 12AM PST bullshit. I shouldn't have to wait until 3AM EST to download a game on release day.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Apparently the Retron 5 is coming out in December. Um.. DO WANT.

retron.jpg

"It plays NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy Advance (w/ Game Boy and Game Boy Color support) and Famicom games. The console features HDMI output, game speed control and support for save states. And, in addition to its own wireless controllers, it has ports for Genesis, SNES and NES controllers."