Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nintendo Chatter v2

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
fazzle said:
The hype train is a fucking smoldering pile of rubble at this point
I don't know where you're getting that from. The internet is overwhelmingly hyped about it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm intrigued, but not intrigued enough to pre-order. I'm going to wait and see if the third-party support holds true. That said, a new Xenoblade and a new Zelda are very interesting to me.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
Thrasher said:
It's too expensive for the system and accessories. Plus, they're going to charge for online.
Just like how Sony charges you for its Network services. I doubt it is charging you for you to actually be online.

All in all, that's a solid lineup to start the console. Get some true third party support and you pretty much will see a shit ton of these around the world, because fuck it. If I can game on the go, I prefer that.

Also someone's going to invent a battery pack for it so you can have more than 3-5 hours. Probably Nintendo themselves. They aren't stupid. They'll make sure all accessories cost you so that they make even more bank.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm'a probably pre-order. I never got into the Mario 64 / Galaxy games, so Super Mario Odyssey likely won't be for me. Hyped up for Splatoon 2, though.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Flik said:
Also someone's going to invent a battery pack for it so you can have more than 3-5 hours. Probably Nintendo themselves. They aren't stupid. They'll make sure all accessories cost you so that they make even more bank.

Seems like you could use a battery pack with USB Type-C connection, which already exist. (See here.) Though I'm sure companies will slap Switch branding on one and sell it at a premium.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So are you guys still excited about this or not?

I don't trust Nintendo, still so I haven't bought a system for myself since the Wii. I actually barely touched the Wii except for classic games and bought my son a WiiU for this past birthday. Hopefully I can get some mileage out of it before he notices the Switch and wants it. Of course by the time he's old enough for that he'll probably graduate to a more adult system and not more silly Nintendo BS.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
fazzle said:
The hype train is a fucking smoldering pile of rubble at this point
I don't know where you're getting that from. The internet is overwhelmingly hyped about it.

My own personal hype train. I'll throw together a whole bunch of my comments from it last night, although it'll probably just look like a giant mess when it's all thrown together into one paragraph.

I came into the conference pretty damn hyped. I was almost locked in to buying one. Now? I'm not even mad, I'm just depressed. It feels like two completely different companies handled the reveal trailer and the trainwreck last night. The reveal trailer made a very clear choice to not show any kind of motion controls or touch screen stuff, trying to make it look like Nintendo's most "normal" console since the Gamecube. Then last night they LEAD OFF with motion control and "HD Rumble." The fact that they thought it was a strong point to start with shows how much of a focus it'll be in this system, and that sounds like something I just don't want any part of. I don't know about you, but I don't want to ever use a singular Joycon. There is absolutely no way that thing is comfortable for anyone over the age of 14 to use. I either want to use the tablet as a whole or use the Pro controller, preferably the Pro controller. I honestly feel like this might be an even bigger misstep than Microsoft's original Xbox One reveal. At least Microsoft had a reason to be super cocky considering how much the 360 dominated the previous generation. For Nintendo this seemed like a legitimate chance for them to recover from the dumpster fire that was the Wii U, but instead they double down on far too many of the same core components that doomed the Wii U from the beginning. Some people are complaining about the power, or lack thereof, but that isn't really the issue. Nintendo hasn't been in the business of trying to compete with the other consoles on a power level since the SNES and hasn't really cared about third party support since then either. Nintendo is in the business of making a day 1 profitable console that is good for playing Nintendo games on, and if any other third parties climb aboard, great. The issue is all the stupid gimmicks. IT DISCONNECTS FROM YOUR TV AND WORKS ON THE GO, that's the only freakin gimmick it needed. I don't need to play Rock Paper Scissors with something the size of two bite sized candy bars. I don't need improved rumble and I sure as hell don't need an added emphasis on motion controls. It's incredible how far Nintendo has fallen when it comes to controller design from the Wavebird, one of the greatest of all time. Nintendo needs to give up on attempting to recreate the Wii. The casual players are gone! They've moved on to phones and they're NEVER coming back! Concentrate on people who actually want to buy your products. We're not in a world where "well it's Nintendo" is enough on it's own to get people's money, and we haven't been in a long time. The sooner Nintendo realizes this the better.

I REALLY hope Nintendo can prove me wrong

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My ultimate dream is for Nintendo to go the way of Sega so I can play Zelda and Mario on a real console with a real controller.

Staff member
Reaction score
That Mario game is a little triggering. I feel like having a WiiU was a complete waste.

AnonymousBroccoli

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wasn't especially excited before, so it's a relatively minor step down from "probably not gonna buy that" to "lol no". I haven't been satisfied by a Nintendo system since N64. Maybe DS Lite, though only because it's been a Picross and Brain Age Sudoku machine. Switch's main feature of easy portability doesn't mean much to me; it would probably stay docked most of the time.

Before yesterday, I didn't really consider how much I'd pay for a Switch. I do know $450 taxed is way too much. Plus bogus accessory prices, plus potential online service, plus game prices that decline at a much lower rate, plus more than 32 GB storage in the unlikely event I'd buy their digital games.

Though I bought a Wii U for $150 and didn't use it at all. Got a 3DS for $30 and a few cheap traded games, and later a 3DS XL for $100; only really used either for the weaker front half of Super Mario 3D Land, and A Link Between Worlds. Only recently got a PS4 for under $250, and am not using that so far either. So my personal sense of what these things are worth is probably skewed.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man I haven't been all in with a Nintendo system since SNES. Every system since then found a way to disappoint me.
The Gamecube was the biggest disappointment for me, but I hated the Wii a lot too. I felt like the motion controls made Skyward Sword unplayable.

My son plays the WiiU because it's his. I haven't given it an honest shot but I have no desire too. I think about WiiU games I want to play but overall I'm just meh about it all.
I'd say I could play VC but even then I think those games are better left as childhood nostalgia.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Parents are going to kill their kids if they lose the JoyCons and have to shell out fucking $80 to replace them.

I'm betting this turns out like the 3DS and this thing is $250 by Christmas. Then I might look into this.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So is it true that the free games will only be available the month they are free and then you have to pay to use it past that month? If so that's shitty. Nintendo can't get out of their own way with this silly bullshit.

I just want to play Mario and Zelda on a normal system with a normal controller like I could back in the day. But they insist on gimmicky bullshit.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
I just want to play Mario and Zelda on a normal system with a normal controller like I could back in the day. But they insist on gimmicky bullshit.
If you didn't play Twilight Princess on the Gamecube, get it for the WiiU.

The only game at launch I want to play is Zelda and if its going to be the same game on the WiiU, I'll probably hold off. I never trust Nintendo's release dates, so I'm not confident the only other games I really care about (Splatoon, Mario) will come out when they say it will. Arms kind of looks interesting, too, I guess.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
So is it true that the free games will only be available the month they are free and then you have to pay to use it past that month? If so that's shitty. Nintendo can't get out of their own way with this silly bullshit.

Yep, you're renting them for a month.
https://twitter.com/kobunheat/status/819957925976350720

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I unfortunately played Twilight Princess on Wii. I got through it but Skyward Sword was just so unplayable.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Got my hands on an NES Classic. I can see why crazy people would plunk down 2-3x the price for one as it is a massive nostalgia dose. Now I'll finally get around to play the original Metroid though I spent the most time today playing Tecmo Bowl surprisingly.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
So there's a program out there that will let you put basically the entire NES library on the Classic, but I'm a weenie when it comes to that stuff and I'm afraid I'll brick the damn thing.

claydude14

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Get a pre owned Wii they're easy as shit to hack and you can get NES Super NES Genesis and Game Boy emulators easily. The NES Classic controller plugs into the wiimote. Idk why anyone wasted money on the classic to begin with.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well because not everyone knows how to hack a Wii and add emulators to it or where to even start to do such a thing.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
Well it didn't work anyway. Oh well.

$60 for 30 old games (a dozen of which are genuine classics) in a cute little miniature shell that seems to be on its way to being a collector's item if they don't put more out, is a great deal.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They had tested those waters on a few Wii U games already, so this shouldn't be a huge shock to anyone, IMO.