Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Nintendo Chatter v2

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Got mine at Gamestop today. They had 7 available. Pulled in at 9am, there were a couple cars. Someone got in line at 9:30, I got behind them, and then everyone got out of their cars. Easy breezy. And I had Gamestop credit, so it didn't cost me anything.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So should I get a Switch if I'm not terribly interested in Zelda right now? I still need to play all the Witcher 3 DLC and Horizon Zero Dawn, so I'm probably not gonna leap right into another open world game like Breath of the Wild. But Mario Kart, Splatoon, Kingdom Battle, and Odyssey in a month all look like wonderful changes of pace.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
My wife and I were vacationing at Myrtle Beach for the better part of this past week. We stopped for breakfast yesterday morning, and I decided I would dash into Target real fast. Of course, they were sold out. No big deal. I wasn't planning to beat myself up if I didn't come across one.

We drove to the next parking lot where there is a Best Buy. There were about 15 people in line, and the store was set to open in about 10 minutes. We decided to go ahead and get in line, and if we got lucky, we got lucky. About 5 minutes after we got in line, an associate came outside to pass out 3 hour hold tickets, and we were able to get one. For all the shortages I've read about, this guy had a large stack of tickets in his hand. The systems were in a sliding door closet behind the cashiers. When the cashier opened the door to get our system, I counted no less than 8 stacks of systems, at least 10-deep.

With this being a tourist town, maybe they were sent more than the average store, but they had more than enough to go around.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I think everyone who wants one will eventually get one.

It's funny cause I had a friend preorder his from Walmart and I think he's getting it next Friday.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Managed to get in when gamestop had yhem online today, so unless my order gets cancelled I'll have my SNESZ classic soon. I am absolutely hacking it to add Chrono Trigger.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
If I didn't already buy a PS4 this year and need to curb my spending for a while I'd get a Switch for Odyssey alone. They seem to be easier to find now since I was at Best Buy last week and saw like four of them sitting on the shelf.

BlackFlagg

BlackFlagg
Reaction score
KingPK said:
If I didn't already buy a PS4 this year and need to curb my spending for a while I'd get a Switch for Odyssey alone. They seem to be easier to find now since I was at Best Buy last week and saw like four of them sitting on the shelf.

Probably sent out a new batch with SMO as they have a new bundle that goes along with it. Got my copy of it yesterday, didn't get to play much as season 2 of Stranger Things ate most of the day but dug the bit that I saw so far alot.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-31-nintendo-is-releasing-a-gorgeous-hylian-shield-inspired-2ds-xl
hylian_2ds.jpg

So pretty...

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
The Switch is getting a remaster of Katamari Damacy. I look forward to Katamari on the go. And getting that damn song stuck in my head another hundred times.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
Smues said:
The Switch is getting a remaster of Katamari Damacy. I look forward to Katamari on the go. And getting that damn song stuck in my head another hundred times.

It was one of my favorite games on the PS2. I hope it comes out for one of the other systems.

Edit: It's coming to PC too.

Spaceman Spiff

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://kotaku.com/animal-crossing-switch-and-everything-else-from-todays-1829043157

ANIMAL CROSSING COMING IN 2019, aw yeah.

The Switch is getting NES controllers.

The list of the 20 initial NES games available with the launch of the online subscription service (out Sept. 18):
  • Ghosts ‘N Goblins
  • Double Dragon
  • Gradius
  • River City Ransom
  • Yoshi
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Excitebike
  • Baseball
  • Ice Hockey
  • Pro Wrestling
  • Ice Climber
  • Legend of Zelda
  • Balloon Fight
  • Soccer
  • Tennis
  • Mario Bros.
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • Dr. Mario
  • Super Mario Bros. 3.
  • Donkey Kong

Nine more will come out in the subsequent months. Solomon’s Key, NES Open Tournament Golf, Super Dodge Ball arrive in October, followed by Metroid, Mighty Bomb Jack, and TwinBee, a vertical-scrolling shoot ‘em up never previously released in North America, coming in November. Finally, Wario’s Woods, Ninja Gaiden, and Adventures of Lolo close out the year in December.

The controllers will apparently only be available to Nintendo Switch Online members, limited to one pair per paid account. There’s also not a clear release date for them yet, with Nintendo’s website simply saying that shipments will begin sometime around mid-December 2018.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-plans-new-version-of-switch-next-year-1538629322

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. plans to release a new version of its Switch videogame console next year to maintain the sales momentum of the device, according to suppliers and others with direct knowledge of the plan.

Sales of the Switch, introduced in March 2017, are still solid but are no longer delivering the favorable surprises that marked the machine’s first year on the market. Nintendo shares, which rose sharply last year, have trailed the broader stock market this year. The move to update the Switch suggests the Kyoto, Japan, company is moving quickly to ensure its flagship product doesn’t lose competitiveness.

Nintendo is still debating what new hardware and software features to include in the upgrade and weighing the cost of the features, people with knowledge of the discussions said.

One option is improving the display, they said. The current Switch uses a lower-end liquid-crystal display without some technologies that are standard in more recent smartphone LCDs.

Updating the display with these technologies would make it brighter, thinner and more energy-efficient. The updated Switch isn’t expected to adopt the organic light-emitting diode or OLED panels used in Apple Inc.’siPhone X series.

Nintendo is looking to release the new Switch in the latter half of 2019, perhaps as soon as summer, the people said.

A Nintendo spokesman declined to comment.

Between its introduction last year and June 30 of this year, Nintendo sold 19.7 million units of the Switch, a pace that compares favorably with Sony Corp.’s PlayStation 4, the most popular console among the current generation of videogame players. The Switch can be used both as a living-room console and as a portable game machine.

Nintendo has said it wants to sell 20 million units in the year through March 2019, and analysts say they expect sales roughly to match that goal assuming some popular software titles planned for late this year arrive on schedule. Nintendo has said it plans to introduce “Super Smash Bros. Ultimate” on Dec. 7.

Videogame makers generally come out with new consoles every five to six years, and it is common for them to update the devices in the middle of their life cycles to keep the momentum going. Sony introduced the PlayStation 4 in November 2013 and updated it with a less-expensive version in September 2016 and a high-end model two months later.

A new Switch would follow that pattern. Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto, who created many of its top games and now holds the title of creative fellow, said in February he wanted the Switch’s life cycle to be longer than usual, suggesting next year’s update of the hardware may not be the last.

The upgraded Switch would likely share many features with the current version and be compatible with existing Switch game software.

Software makers and others in the industry are watching whether Nintendo will clarify the future of its hand-held 3DS videogame device when it decides on the next Switch.

Nintendo has said it would keep selling 3DS machines because they are a safe and affordable option for children. But new game releases for the platform have been declining and some popular franchises, including Nintendo’s own “Pokémon,” moved to the Switch this year.

An executive at one software maker said the 3DS was increasingly overshadowed by smartphones that are well-suited to portable games. He said he was waiting for a “clear message” from Nintendo about what it would do with the 3DS series when it puts out a new Switch.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
The 3DS should be dying off right about now, really.

Also, I was expecting them to introduce a more energy saving Switch because what else were they going to improve on other than that? I mean, graphics, sure, but then you are upping the price more.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Just got a Switch. Hooked it up tonight and tried Super Mario Odyssey for a while. Debated starting a thread for it, I may still when I gather my thoughts.

I ordered a few games off the GameStop Buy 2, Get 1 sale online the other day - Zelda, Mario Kart and Kirby. Had debated getting Donkey Kong the past few days with some other stuff but it isn't available online anymore and the closest store is a bit further away than I feel like driving with the couple holiday days right now.

I had picked up NBA 2K18 off of Amazon super cheap and WWE 2K18, though I am thinking about getting rid of the WWE one already since I found out the eShop has the Digital Deluxe for only $22 right now. Was thinking about getting the WWE and the Mario/Rabbids that is on sale right now - though I may want to get Smash Bros too.

Figure the three on the way plus my Mario and NBA may be enough though since I have such a large backlog on my other systems and have the basics down with picking up stuff cheap on the holiday sales.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Nintendo just announced that a new Mario Kart game for iOS and Android will be released this summer. I'm excited even though Super Mario Run was a massive disappointment.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/01/nintendos-next-switch-model-will-reportedly-shrink-the-size-cost-features/

I guess a portable only system would work. If this does get released, I'll see if the current models go on sale.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I'll buy it, but they've gone even further with the weird-ass Link Between Worlds visual style and I'm not really a fan. I'm also perplexed by the incongruity between the opening cinematic and the gameplay footage. I wish the game looked more like the cutscene.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of this visual style at all, either. I'd have preferred a retro Link to the Past look, myself.

Also were there always Mario villains in that game?

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
no fact said:
Also were there always Mario villains in that game?

Yes
https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Blooper
https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Goomba
https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Piranha_Plant

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
We're getting a Zelda game for Switch made by the company that made Crypt of the Necrodancer?

YES YES YES!

BorneAgain

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Cuphead being released for Switch has a lot of people speculating what future Microsoft/Nintendo deals could be coming.

Rare Replay on Switch? Banjo in Smash?