Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Catch all NJPW of/in America thread

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Just finished the episode. The opening tag match was solid. Kratos vs Brody was a great hoss fight. Those 2 guys went at it non stop for 10 minutes. Bateman vs Narita was fantastic. It was up there with Rosser vs Lawlor as one of the best matches on Strong.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know you're a fan of Bateman, BBBD but mostly being familiar with his (not very good) ROH work, I thought "Oh great. We're getting ROH castoffs." when he showed up to be interviewed by Kevin Kelly a few episodes back. Glad to hear the match with Narita was a heater.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Definition of burying the lead---in this fluff story about Darren Young giving Jon Moxley an edible, it's mentioned that they saw each other backstage at a show recently. Which has to lead you to assume that Jon Moxley Vs KENTA is happening on an upcoming episode of NJPW STRONG.

It sucks dog shit that it won't happen at a big event in Japan but great boost for STRONG.

(Actual lead is that Heath Slater smokes weed)

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
AND Jon Moxley debuted on STRONG tonight. Saving Fred Rosser, Lio Rush, and TJP from a Bullet Club beatdown. Presumably so Rosser could hook him up with some dank edibles.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I believe it has been already posted in the puro thread but MOX Vs KENTA for the US Title is happening on NJPW STRONG on 2/26.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm kind of amazed that they aren't just dedicating the whole hour to Mox Vs KENTA tonight since that match is about 1000x levels higher, from a hype perspective, than anything they've done on the series. That kind of ensures that match will be >20 minutes but I guess not the worst thing given how banged up KENTA is.

Also I'm pumped that Chris Dickinson Vs Ren Narita is the semi. Anything that gets more mainstream attention on Dirty Daddy is alright by me.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Wow. Jon Moxley beat KENTA clean as a sheet.

In a less notable but no less surprising result, Ren Narita got a dominant, bordering on an extended squash, win over Chris Dickinson. I guess they've got big plans for Ren once this pandemic is over

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
STRONG is going to have its own New Japan Cup USA again, starting on April 3rd. They're going to have qualifier matches on STRONG and MLW Underground (who shuffled into the Forbidden Door while everyone shrugged)

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
STRONG is going to have its own New Japan Cup USA again, starting on April 3rd. They're going to have qualifier matches on STRONG and MLW Underground (who shuffled into the Forbidden Door while everyone shrugged)

This is real interesting. We could get Myron Reed and Jordan Oliver in an NJPW ring, and I'm excited about that.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They announced Rocky Romero Vs Lio Rush as a qualifier match that'll be on MLW TV. Both guys have appeared on both shows. Like NWA, MLW is another promotion I have a hard time keeping track of who is still on the roster.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I fell off MLW hard during the beginning of the pandemic when they stopped running shows. One of my favorite acts of theirs was the Hart Foundation but Teddy Hart proved (for about the 814th time) that he was a true POS, Davey Boy has become a complete tool and Pillman Jr. is in AEW now. I also liked the luchadores they brought in but yeah, haven't cared enough to check them out in recent months.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Luchadores aside, the MLW roster is full of guys that I like more on paper than I do in reality.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I fell off MLW hard during the beginning of the pandemic when they stopped running shows. One of my favorite acts of theirs was the Hart Foundation but Teddy Hart proved (for about the 814th time) that he was a true POS, Davey Boy has become a complete tool and Pillman Jr. is in AEW now. I also liked the luchadores they brought in but yeah, haven't cared enough to check them out in recent months.

I'm the same way. I watched the first 2 episodes coming back from break, but haven't watched since. I'm a huge Jordan Oliver fan (he treated my daughter like a princess when he won the Synergy title. So if he treats her well, I'm an even bigger fan), and he's going for the title, but I just don't care enough about the company to tune in. I'm with @King Kamala in that on paper, I love the roster, but the show does nothing for me.

Hoff

EVERYTHING
Reaction score
It ain't much, it's very basic, but it's head and shoulders above the Flying V they just debuted for their top belt.

It just having the name of their show reminds me of the TNT belt or even the current WWE logo belts. Nice silhouettes all around but just a big logo and no other real design elements.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NJPW STRONG has their biggest card since Mox-KENTA this Friday. I guess you could say it's part of WrestleMania Week technically even if it was filmed weeks if not months ago!

NJPW Strong Presents New Japan Cup USA
April 9th, 2021
Taped from Oceanview Pavillion in Port Hueneme, California

New Japan Cup USA First Round Match
Brody King Vs Chris Dickinson

Hikuleo Vs Fred Rosser

Ren Narita Vs "Filthy" Tom Lawlor

Lio Rush Vs Clark Connors

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
All 4 of those matches should be really good. Body vs Chris should be a great, hard hitting slugfest. Narita vs Lawlor could steal the show as a catch classic. Lio vs Clark Connors will be out of this world. The one I'm most interested in is Hikuleo vs Rosser just to see how good Hikuleo has become. He's been pretty solid on Strong, but Frosser has had some of the best matches on the show, so I'm interested to see how this one really god.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I haven't watched the show in a few weeks. Have they tried to explain why Brody & Dickinson are rivals on STRONG but in the same stable in ROH?

Agreed that this tournament looks really good. I could honestly see basically anyone but Clark (although I could see him upsetting Lio in quarterfinals) and maybe Hikuleo winning. And the latter is only because he's supposed to go back to Japan with his brothers soon. I love Fred Rosser reinventing himself as a hard hitting veteran. Would not have predicted that comeback two years ago. I hope he gets invited to some Japanese tours.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
They haven't even mentioned Dickinson and Brody being a team, most likely because it was taped well before the ROH teaming.

I'd love to see Chris win it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ren take it, since he's their big project and can work great matches with both weight classes.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
NJPW STRONG is making its fan attended debut on August 14th at The L.A. Coliseum*

*I was like "Why the eff is NJPW STRONG running a 100,000 coliseum!?" but it sounds like a Daily's Place type situation, where it's a 10,000 seat ampitheater that is adjacent to the Coliseum...which still seems way too ambitious for NJPW but more reasonable especially if Mox and Jay White are going to be there but Lio Rush is also pictured in the ad and he retired a month ago so who the frig knows?[/spoiler]

cc @909