https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLtmEjqzg7M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTczqx-PWJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9muD249qNM

Confirmed Features List
NeoGAF said:
General
It’s a science fiction game
Coming to PC, but will be a timed exclusive for the PS4
Almost everything is Procedurally Generated. Ships, Plants, Animals, Planets etc, meaning there are going to be a very large number of variations of each of those things. All the variations will come from a base model though, and there will most likely be a lot of base models in each category.
No saved games. The game will be saved all the time as you go along, but you can’t save and load games. If you die, then you will have to rebuild from where you are in the universe. You’ll never have to go back to the start and try again
Uses an alternative periodic table to help create environmental diversity
There will be a narrative, with a reason for the player’s presence and their activities, and details of various races that preceded you. You won’t be told the narrative, it’s up to you to explore and piece it all together and come up with your own interpretations
The Atlas will be an important part of the lore
There will be an antagonist of sorts - the Malevolent Force
Don’t expect cutscenes, dialogues or much text within the game.
More extensive terrain deformation, ground vehicles and a more traditional multiplayer will come later
The only release date hint has been that it is “Coming Soon-ish” (as of E3). There have been no confirmations as to what year it will be released, so 2015 that most websites mention is just speculation right now. So they know what their release date is, but they don’t want to announce it until they are sure they can meet it

Gameplay
Can be affiliated with different factions, however you’ll never have indications of this. It’ll simply be that if you destroy ships of one faction, then it won’t like you, or you could help it and it will
If you have a good status and affiliation, then you will be able to call on AI wingmen (Using D-pad)
The alternative periodic table ties directly into the game’s use of resources, which are used to improve your avatar’s suit and your weapon, and can be traded at space stations to earn money to upgrade your craft, or buy a new one
Resources can be combined
There won’t be any quests or missions to go on. It’ll be up to you to decide what you want to do. The hope is that your natural curiosity and the richness of the worlds presented will be enough to keep you interested - this is a game about exploration
Fun is put above scientific accuracy. Flying between planets won’t be long and monotonous, and neither will flying out of an atmosphere
There is an in-game encyclopaedia where you can view all the rare creatures you’ve scanned once uploaded
It’s basically up to you how you play. The universe is a living breathing place that just works. Shipping lanes, trade routes, freighters, space stations. Planets have ecologies.
Not an MMO. Everyone will be very far away from each other. But you will feel the impact of other players
It’s been mentioned that you can run into other players, but it’ll be very rare, and the details are very unclear right now. For example “there is the ability to communicate and work with other people” is something Sean said. He also mentions that he is inspired by how Journey and Dark Souls do it. So if you run into another player, you won’t know who they are.
It’ll always be first person
This isn’t a game about staying on one planet and setting up shop, this isn’t core to the game. You can stay on one planet if you want though, it’s up to you
There will be a compelling reason to head towards the centre of the galaxy, as well as an ending that will provide you with a sense of closure. But there will be a reason to continue playing after that ending
You don't have an inventory, but you do have a sort of bank account.
Any employment in the game will net you money and you can use this to buy equipment
There will be ancient artefacts for you to find which could reveal the secrets of the universe.

Universe
Same universe for everyone
Everyone starts in their own solar system, so people will be very far away from one another to begin with.
Only significant events are shared between people. So for example, killing a single animal won’t be shared. It’ll always be dead for you though. But if you wipe out an entire species, then that would be shared with everyone else
There is an offline mode, which would mean that you wouldn’t see anyone else’s discoveries
Made up of multiple galaxies
The planets within the universe will have a 10% chance of having life on them, with 90% of them having no life on at all. Of the 10% that does have life, 90% of that will be primitive and boring. So the lush garden worlds with more evolved life forms on will be rare
There will be lots of barren planets, but they can still have valuable resources on
Planets will generally only have one type of resource on them
"In every solar system there is one core thing that you can do which is of great significance to that solar system. And that is shared among everyone, and fundamentally changes that solar system, and people can choose whether or not to do that. And there are a number of mechanisms like that, which create emergent gameplay."

Ships
You start with a lifepod ship, without a hyperdrive. So you’ll have to get money to buy a better ship before you can really begin exploring the universe
Can enter a ship almost instantly, without any laborious animations. (using Triangle)
You don’t get massive ships - you will stay in quite small ships
You can only buy ships that are docked at space stations
There are three main classes of ships: Fighter, Trader and Explorer
Each class has multiple prototypes
Fighters are light and symmetrical
Trader craft tend to be bulkier and slower, but with heavier weapons
Explorer ships will have much better hyperdrives and stealth capabilities, allowing pacifists to run from every fight
Each ship will have between one and three different armaments attached, and you’ll be able to upgrade them.
Enhancements are hinted to be more interesting than simply more power or a faster rate of fire
They are not defined in the game as a specific class, but it should be obvious by the visible hints what a craft is designed for
A certain type of ship doesn’t restrict you to a certain path, but there are of course some ships more suited to certain tasks than other. But you’ll always be able to change to a different type of ship
The cockpit of the ship will be the lifepod, so if the ship is destroyed then you go back to a lifepod and you’ve lost that ship.
You will have the equivalent of a whistle to call your ship over, so long as it’s close by
After a while, the wear and tear on your craft is clearly visible, helping you to form an emotional attachment to your beaten-up old ships
There’s a generous targeting system that only requires you to point your nose near a bogey to loose off a missile or two - you don’t need to be really accurate
Can “pull low above the surface and climb out in mid-air, before returning to the cockpit and flying around some more”
Landing will be simple and straightforward
Space combat will be arcadey
Better ships will be found further into the galaxy, where combat will also be harder
Fuel will be really expensive, and is used to travel from one solar system to the next, like a hyper jump.
A quick and cheap way to get fuel is to go down to a planet and do some mining, but you can also make money other ways and use that buy fuel.

Planets
Planet sized planets
On the ground you can have a jetpack, which will need to be earned. (Controlled with the X button)
You’ll have a minimap which will show points of interest, such as resource rich areas and landmarks that you or others have uploaded. Won’t know what it is until you get there though
Other points of interest include crashed ships, beacons, something to discover like mountain ranges, a vast lake, new species of creature.
Can name things that you discover first, such as plants, planets, creatures etc. But they will all have latin names by default, which will appear larger than the player names
Suits and weapons can only be upgraded at trading posts on planets
Upgrades include allowing you to breathe underwater for longer, or survive in toxic environments etc
You will have a multi-tool, which will act as a scanner, weapon and mining tool. (Square to use scanner)
There are grenade like plasma balls
You can blow holes in things
There will be combat situations on planets
You have a compass (the heart in the middle of the screen at the top)
There are procedurally generated rooms
The suit nullifies gravity.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This has looked so cool since I first heard about it that I can't possibly imagine it will turn out any good.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I was just thinking this week how awesome it was that this comes out in less than a month. Word on the street is that it's being delayed until July or August. Because of course it is.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That sucks.. but if it means making a better game or fixing some bugs, I'm cool with it. I've already waited this long. ;)

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Simple question: how difficult would it be to acclimate to this game if I have very little experience playing these types as far as format goes? It looks very cool but I feel I might be in over my head.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well they've said it's one if those games where you can just go out and explore, you don't have to engage or push to the goal (centre of the universe) or anything like that. It might be worth checking out as a rental or a borrow first, if you can.

Lord of The Curry

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this would be comparable but I love the Fallout series just for the exploration aspect so this might be for me.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
So they had just fought and finished with SKY network over the use of Sky in their title, which is probably why they had to delay the game originally. Now they have the guys who produced the equation that is providing a new source of random generation of everything in the game saying "oh yeah, we want your money", as the copywrite those guys have is broad to basically be "use our math formula for math reasons, and we get a portion".

Might see yet another delay coming up soon.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqDA1pffpiw

Also, the OST is fucking legit..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIj1w6pFOH4

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Comes out tmw on iTunes! https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/no-mans-sky-music-for-infinite/id1133712450

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
From what I've read about early impressions, if you want something to go out and explore and see different worlds, great.

If you are wanting sci-fi action shooter rpg, not so much.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Holy shit.. this game is basically crack. Can't.. stop.. playing..

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ok good. I gave in and preordered, will be here on the 11th. Probably won't feel any real need to make much progress towards the center, will be more in favor if going everywhere I can and coming up with as many goofy names for shit that I can think of.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm just totally free-roaming right now. It's super fun finding ruins and cave diving. Also feeding the wildlife and having them lead you to treasure is also pretty damn rad.

A Happy Medium

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I downloaded it and can't help but head to these ruins and learn more and more of these languages. I am having trouble putting together the recipe for hyperdrive fuel. I almost got trapped in a cave, though. And, my first fight against pirates didn't go so well. So, I like to upgrade the suit inventory and move all valuables to it (like the 300k in gold I got from a 50 foot pillar) before I take off.

But really, it's a such a thrill to watch the travel times drop from hours to inside a minute. And the soundtrack makes me think it's the most epic thing ever when I crank it up.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Better late than never.. "The Foundation" update is pretty dope. Base building and freighters and more..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Empty Fossil of the New Scene said:
Better late than never.. "The Foundation" update is pretty dope. Base building and freighters and more..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY

I think it's too little too late. I don't really see myself playing anymore

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://no-mans-sky.com/pathfinder-update/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNtbosTCvo

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Path Finder update has really given new life to this game for me. I'm fully back into it and can't stop.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I'm thinking of letting a couple more updates hit then maybe start over from the beginning.