Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old by M. Night Shyamalan

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

Just got back from seeing this. A very solid psychological thriller with some good body gore effects towards the end. Saw a review that remarked about it being slow to build up before it got going but I didn't get that vibe at all. Felt like the remarks of somebody not used to an under 2-hour movie. The characters were pretty thinly written but written enough that I found myself rooting for (almost) all of them to make it. A few characters tend to disappear for lengths of time, one of which actually makes sense, but it was a little noticeable in a distracting way. Like the character would just suddenly pop back in for a scene or two almost as a reminder that they existed.

The casting was really well done. The characters never felt different as they age up, which is also a credit to the writing and there were plenty of call-backs to prior setups that made sense in the payoffs. The plot was relatively straightforward and simple but the acting helped carry this and there was some real, palpable tension throughout given the circumstances. I'd put it up there with stuff like Signs, which I have a soft spot for ending be damned, or The Visit.

The horror is definitely more mental in the core concept of it all. Kind of a throwback to something like the concept behind The Village but with tighter pacing and much better execution here. It also tackles different kinds of fears related to aging (and
mental diseases/medical diseases
), which helps keep the characters somewhat distinctive from one another.

My only real knock is that the end had a scene I didn't think was necessary as the audience could've filled it in with their minds and felt sort of like a studio/test audience inclusion.

6.5/10

Last edited: