Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old Cartoons

D

Danny Dubya

Posted by: Danny Dubya March 29, 2009 12:14 am
ITT : Old cartoons you've been watching, for some gaseous knock-out combo of nostalgia and boredom.

Before the bullshit with Mike/Petra tonight, I started watching the X-Men series that was airing on Fox's saturday mornings 15-20 years ago, strangely enough after seeing a picture of a Wolverine blow-up raft with a drunkenly placed airhole on the intertubes and thinking "hey, I should watch this again". Good stuff, and apparently quite serious for its time, though some of the lines are a bit cheesier than I remember them being... hope not too much more, uh, egg-sucking is spoken of.
Posted by: Maztinho March 29, 2009 12:34 am
My cousin has that whole series on his computer and watches them on his PSP while he's at work.

I watched an episode of He-Man the other day. It didn't hold up well at all.
Posted by: IllustriousOne March 29, 2009 12:35 am
I recently Netflix'd the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner movie, if you wanna talk about old stuff, haha.

I downloaded that X-Men series awhile ago, but never got around to watching episodes. Between those, Justice League, and Batman: TAS, I've got a lot of things to watch I guess.
Posted by: cobainwasmurdered March 29, 2009 12:47 am
I rented the first season of He-man from a small dvd place around the corner and yeah, it doesn't hold up.

Batman; TAS is wicked, and Justice League is good shit too. I plan to find the spiderman series from the 90's
Posted by: EricMM March 29, 2009 12:55 am
I found ExoSquad on Hulu the other day.

I bumped a thread at TSM about it, but I don't know if anyone noticed it.

From what I remember, that show is great.
Posted by: Danny Dubya April 02, 2009 08:09 pm
This isn't very old, but cancelled a few years ago : any other Courage the Cowardly Dog fans here?

I got steeply discounted tickets from school to see Sweeney Todd, and it finally hit me what inspired http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAhDIyLjLF4&feature=related. Started to feel just a bit... nauuuughty.
Posted by: ChrisMWaters April 02, 2009 08:45 pm
For some reason, recently I've been getting too addicted to watching the old show "Wacky Races".
Posted by: The PK April 02, 2009 09:11 pm
QUOTE (IllustriousOne @ March 29, 2009 12:35 am)
I recently Netflix'd the Bugs Bunny/Roadrunner movie, if you wanna talk about old stuff, haha.

I just watched that too. The end with the 20 or so minutes of about every Coyote attempt at catching Road Runner is just classic stuff.
Posted by: Molotov The Bear April 02, 2009 10:21 pm
QUOTE (Danny Dubya @ April 02, 2009 05:09 pm)
This isn't very old, but cancelled a few years ago : any other Courage the Cowardly Dog fans here?

YES! I love Courage, and all the Cartoon Cartoon! shows. Well, besides Ed, Edd, and Eddy. That show blew.
Posted by: CBright7831 April 02, 2009 10:38 pm
I'm so glad that X-Men is coming to DVD soon.

I pretty much own all of the DCAU sets: Batman, Superman, Justice League, JLU, and Batman Beyond.

Bruce Timm is my lord and master.
Posted by: CookieMueller April 02, 2009 10:56 pm
QUOTE (ChrisMWaters @ April 02, 2009 04:45 pm)
For some reason, recently I've been getting too addicted to watching the old show "Wacky Races".

Ha, when I saw the title of the thread I thought of my obsession with "Wacky Races". Everyone knows when I've been watching it though cos I totally do that Muttley laugh.

I recently found an old tape (circa 1986) that had episodes of Heathcliff recorded from TV. When I was a kid I really missed out on Garfield because of my Heathcliff love. That theme song was catchy:

Heathcliff, Heathcliff
No one should
Terrify the neighbourhood
Heathcliff just won't be undone
Playing pranks on everyone
Posted by: Gary Floyd April 02, 2009 11:48 pm
Rocko's Modern Life. Next to The Simpsons, it's my favorite cartoon show ever.

"Hey Rock, make that funny face you make whenever you buy eggs!"
Posted by: The Metal Maniac April 03, 2009 12:19 am
I only ever saw a few episodes of Courage he Cowardly Dog, but I'll never forget an evil snowman who sounded like Sean Connery attempting to steal the anti-melting gene from people.
Posted by: Rendclaw April 03, 2009 03:17 am
I watch episodes of the Herculoids on YouTube

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Maybe a bit TOO old for this thread but Fleischer studios Popeye Cartoons are a huge weakness of mine. Especially the double reel Sinbad the Sailor.

I found it really interesting that they drew the cartoons first then had Jack Mercer dub in the voice work. This is why he's always saying little asides in the cartoons. My favorite throw away line is when he is having a picnic with Olive and he grabs a roast chicken/turkey and just casually mutters, "I'm gonna eat this whole thing and give you the bird..." while he lays it out on the spread. It's so out of place and perfectly under-the-radar dirty.

Actually, anything Fleischer is fun to watch for their crazy 3d backgrounds.

Jingus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In a thread called "Old Cartoons", the most frequently mentioned shows are the DCAU from the last fifteen years? For shame, people. Go watch a lot of Wile Coyote before re-entering this thread.

For non-old cartoons, I loved Courage the Cowardly Dog too. That show is legitimately more creepy than many "serious" horror movies with the surreal shit they come up with. Another Cartoon Network guilty pleasure of mine was a more obscure one called Sheep in the Big City, a hilariously deconstructive little piece of tomfoolery which apparently I am the only person that ever watched.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
There are your generic answers of THE FLINSTONES and THE JETSONS which I watched. Then there were LOONEY TUNES, GARFIELD, HEATHCLIFF, CAMP CANDY, The Disney Afternoon cartoons and my favorite, WOODY WOODPECKER.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Wacky Races was always a favourite of mine. Dastardly, you'd win if you didn't stop to cheat!

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
muzz said:
Wacky Races was always a favourite of mine. Dastardly, you'd win if you didn't stop to cheat!
But then he wouldn't be Dick Dastardly.

Incidentally, I read somewhere he actually won a race, but was disqualified for stretching his car out. Which continuity wise doesn't make sense as there was an ep I saw where I think Peter Perfect did the same thing.

Que sera.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Anyone remember that Dragon Flies cartoon? I remember liking it. I just thought about it the other day.

DRAGON FLIES, MAXIMIZE! WATCH THE SKIES FOR DRAGON FLIEEEEES!

Bay Harbor Butcher

Active Poster
Reaction score
I recently found a couple of VHS tapes with some old cartoons on it. One of the tapes contained episodes of Bionic Six, M.A.S.K., C.O.P.S., and Captain N: The Game Master. It's not a cartoon, but the tape also had an episode of Super Force on it.

Another one of the tapes was labeled Robocop, Sky Commander, Swamp Thing, Mr. Bogus, but it broke while I was rewinding it.

Nightwing

Nightwing
Reaction score
COPS: Fighting Crime in a future time! God, that was a great little show.

And Jingus: at the very least, the original B:TAS is starting to get old, but it holds up damn well. I'd argue before they switched away from the Fleischer-style artwork, it was probably one of the best television shows ever. Consistently intelligent, well-done, and providing excellent plots and characters.

As for older stuff, it's always jarring seeing how Merry Melodies/Loony Tunes shifted during the mid-60's (or was it the 70's?). The animation is so substandard compared to the hand-drawn older stuff, and the jokes are worse. That 1950's-early 60's era really had a lot of great cartoons.

King Cucaracha

King Cucaracha
Reaction score
Wacky Races was probably my biggest one as a kid, I couldn't begin to name all the ones I used to watch besides that.

Thinking slightly more recent I used to watch Cow and Chicken, I Am Weasel, Johnny Bravo, Anamaniacs as a slightly older kid.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nintendo should buy up all the old Wacky Races scripts and craft them into a Mario Kart cartoon (Mario Kartoon?).

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Justice and Rule said:
Pfft. They need some sort of evil Yoshi, so it can communicate through that evil, wheezing laugh Muttley had.
In that case, partner Bowser with a Koopa Troopa that does the Muttley laught, and make Wario and Waluigi the oversized version of the Ant-Hill Mob.

Anakin Flair

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I was watching the Dark Phoenix Saga from the old X-Men cartoon. The cartoon version's ending (with Jean Grey alive) is actually fairly close to the original ending of the comics.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
New article covering the Top 10 Best Kim Possible Episodes Ever: http://culturecrossfire.com/movies-tv/tv/top-kim-possible-episodes/

Crazy to think it's only a few years away from being 20 years old!

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
??? That show is nearly 20 years old? The hell? I thought it wouldn't be that old.

NoCalMike

Welcome to Prime Time, bitch!
Reaction score
My daughter is obsessed with the old Sonic cartoon. She randomly found it on netflix at my mom's house and it has become her "turn it on every night when I lay down to go to sleep" show. She didn't know it was based off a video game until I informed her and of course now she has a couple of the old sonic games on the tablet.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Stuff from the early 2000s may be okay and great that your daughter finds happiness in those classic Sonic ones.

I am always afraid to go back and watch TV shows from my childhood because the few times I caught them on DVD, it just seemed so cheap and out of sync as an adult - I mean, I know my tastes have changed and technology is different but it kind of makes me sad to go back and see some stuff not as polished as I remember.

I do have a strange feeling the few shows that I watched when getting ready for school in the mornings would play to an older audience and be okay now though - Garfield, Beetlejuice and Freakazoid.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Masters of the Universe does not hold up well at all. I mean already you have the angle of it's a 23 minute toy commercial disguised as a cartoon. The show itself just doesn't have the appeal to me that the nostalgia for it does.

There's literally nothing in there in my recent viewings that said "Oh hey adults being forced to watch this, here's an in joke for you (*wink wink*)." But I get that in stuff I've watched with my niece as she grew up and now when my Godchild puts on his shit.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score

As a freshly turned 8 year old, this was big time shit. Bugs Bunny and the other stars were part of a prime time special to kick this series off IIRC. I think I knew Spielberg was a big deal too.
I grew up watching the classic series but I always preferred Tiny Toon Adventures plus they had their own videogames that were actually fun! I still adore the Summer Vacation special and their Music Video episode.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I rewatched those when my son was little and they don't really hold up (the movie is still fun) as well as something like the 80's TMNT or Batman TAS (which is a GOAT show period).

not sure if I ever posted this
qs5J6qG.jpg