Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Football Games Showdown

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
No poll this time as Tecmo Bowl (mark 2) would win hands down but let's talk about some old Atari, Arcade, NES, SNES, Genesis, etc Football games.

My personal favorites are Tecmo Super Bowl 3 for the SNES due to it being on my favorite system, and coming out when I was a hardcore gamer. TSB 3 is possibly the first game to introduce an off season/free agency mode to games. It is flawed in that every player is given a points value, but teams do not have a set amount of points so good teams will always be good and bad teams have little room to improve. (For example Steve Young is the top player in the game with 520 points. Arizona has Dave Krieg starting at like a 60 or 80, so if you cut him you still have little capital to "sign" other talent.)

Super Play Action Football is my wild card selection as we spent many hours playing it. They had no licenses but IIRC you could pick NFL cities (with the proper players) as well as college and high school teams. From what I recall, the game play was functional enough that we came back for more.

The official NFL game for the NES was shit from what I remember. I did not play the off shoots like Joe Montana's Football, Bill Walsh's, Troy Aikman's blah blah blah enough to have a lasting impression. I do have favorable memories of a MNF game on the SNES though I did not own it.

Madden 93 helped make me a fan of Da Bears 1985 squad as my Bears fan cousin played as their historic team a ton of the time. Plus Walter Payton showed up on WWF TV around the time I acquired the game. A funny thing about Madden 93 is Madden has text comments about every team before the game. He calls an unnamed Joe Montana the greatest QB ever, while another text block says something like "Anyone who says who the best ever players are is lying". I'd have to bust it out again to get the actual dialogue.

NFL QB Club 96 had not only the QB club challenges to play, but also great game scenarios where you took over in the middle of historic games and had to re-write or recreate history. (Downside is it was with the 1995 rosters regardless).

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Tecmo Bowl can fuck off. Tecmo Super Bowl 16 Bit Version from 1993 on the Genesis was where it was at! More players, more team-specific playbooks, weather including rain and snow. So, so superior it's a shame it doesn't get enough credit.

I always was a big fan of Madden '94 and '95 since those years were my prime NFL fan as a kid. The NFL QB Club games were massive fun to do the actual QB Club challenges but I was never a big fan of the gameplay itself.

The Bill Walsh College Football series from 1993-1995 was pretty underrated too but mainly a knockoff of the Madden series, just with college programs. The '95 version was the shit though and included windowless passing.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was a bit too young for Tecmo Bowl. Madden '94 was my jam. had to be the first one that had audio of Madden's calls. They intermittently pop up in my head. "HEY! HECK OF A PLAY!"

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I played a ton of NFL '94 on the Genesis. I could never get hang of passing, but I would just run the same 2 or 3 running plays every time and rack up 250+ rushing yards per game and win that way.

When Prime Time came out a few years later and you could relocate teams, I'm pretty sure the first thing I did was move the Cowboys to Montreal.

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had Madden '93 and Super Play Action Football (complete with diagonal gameplay and the Raccoon Mario coin for the toss) for the SNES, NFL '97 for the Saturn, a couple NFL Quarterback Club games for the Saturn and 64, and a few Maddens for the 64.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I don’t think it’s automatic tecmo bowl would win, many prefer madden. Also, the Bo Jackson game.
Do any of the Madden's stand out as the favorite of the early cartridge era games? From what I saw from looking these up the games finally got deep around the same time the next gen systems came out. If I picked Madden 93 up today for example I would only enjoy it via nostalgia. The mechanics and features were still developing.

Did Bo get his own game? I was surprised to see Sterling Sharpe on his own the year after he was forced to retire.

I remember Bo's 2 sided Tiger handheld that was half baseball/half football.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Okay nvm the Bo game was Tecmo Bowl, but I still preferred the early Maddens. Been a while though.

Bo did have a baseball game:

1602464942055.jpeg

I remember Bo broke the bat on his knee when he struck out, pretty cool.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Bo also had a Game Boy game that was half baseball, half football

39057-bo-jackson-two-games-in-one-game-boy-front-cover.jpg

TheSSNintendo

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Slow as hell!

Woof. I rented that at a local video store one summer. Thankfully I had also rented Tecmo Super Bowl and Tecmo World Wrestling, so 2 out of 3 wasn't bad.

And speaking of Tecmo Super Bowl, TSB3 is also a huge favorite of mine. I literally spent nearly a year searching for a used copy, and a few days before Christmas (1998 I'm thinking), I found one at Wal-Mart outside of their video rental area. Had plenty of fun playing it, aside from losing to my brother during our 49ers vs. Cowboys rivalry.

Other good football games I've played include NFL QB Club '96 (as Brody mentioned), College Football's National Championship II (played it on the Sega Channel), and Mutant League Football.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Which early Madden (I think it as a Madden anyway) had ambulance come on the field for major injuries?

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Which early Madden (I think it as a Madden anyway) had ambulance come on the field for major injuries?

John Madden '92 through Madden 2001 before it got removed due to NFL pressure.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
No living human can beat me at Madden '93. Gauntlet thrown. I felt so cool when I discovered you can lock onto injured guys and watch the replay of them getting carted off only to just get dumped on the sideline. Fuck you, Boomer Esiason.