Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I wish I had the Bushwackers. I had found Macho Man and Warrior on clearance years later and I know they are in a box with my old figures somewhere
Don’t act like you don’t have them prominently displayed for all your guests to see.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
That face Dream Team vs Jimmy Hart thing really does make sense. Brutus looks cool as hell with the mask.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
That face Dream Team vs Jimmy Hart thing really does make sense. Brutus looks cool as hell with the mask.
furface.jpg

rrrrrr.jpg

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Those double downward thrusts to the shoulders looked super impressive.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
A quick detour back to bad house shows as the WWF nearly commits greater crimes against humanities than Saddam Hussein (Hart/Austin obviously saves the day) :

WWF @ Kuwait City, Kuwait - Kazma Sporting Club - April 10, 1997
Kuwati Cup Opening Round:
Tiger Ali Singh pinned Leif Cassidy
Billy Gunn pinned Bob Holly
WWF European Champion Davey Boy Smith pinned Diesel II with the running poweslam
Mankind defeated Phinneas Godwinn
Vader pinned Bart Gunn
Freddie Joe Floyd defeated Psycho Sid via forfeit
Steve Austin defeated Bret Hart via count-out
Owen Hart defeated Henry Godwinn

WWF @ Orlando, FL - September 11, 1995 (600)
Hakushi defeated Rad Radford
Savio Vega pinned Duke Drose
WWF Women's Champion Bertha Faye pinned Alundra Blayze with her feet on the ropes
Davey Boy Smith pinned Bam Bam Bigelow after sending Bigelow head-first into an unprotected turnbuckle
Goldust pinned Bob Holly with the Curtain Call
Jacob & Eli Blu defeated the Bushwhackers after the Blus switched places and hit a boot to the face
Razor Ramon pinned Sir Mo with a small package after about 1 minute

A one minute main event?!?! Bigelow was already in coast mode with one foot out the door so his match with Bulldog was likely a dud.... but really....Mo!?!?!

--
WWF @ Columbus, OH - Ohio Center - May 22, 1994
The Bushwhackers defeated the Heavenly Bodies
Koko B. Ware defeated the Genius
Bastion Booger defeated the Cuban Assassin
Duke Drose defeated Dave Heath
Yokozuna defeated Typhoon (sub. for Earthquake)

The Genius in 1994! Lanny was apparently doing Florida shots yet and somehow got booked on this Ohio card.

Last edited:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
WWF @ Seabrook, NJ - July 9, 1994
Jim Powers defeated Damien Demento
The Mighty Doom defeated Little Leopard
Sgt. Slaughter defeated Quebecer Pierre
Iron Mike Sharpe defeated Glenn Osbourne
Heidi Lee Morgan defeated Rusty Thomas
Bob Backlund defeated Greg Valentine

Yes that says '94 not '84. What the fuck is this shit.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
WWF @ Seabrook, NJ - July 9, 1994
Jim Powers defeated Damien Demento
The Mighty Doom defeated Little Leopard
Sgt. Slaughter defeated Quebecer Pierre
Iron Mike Sharpe defeated Glenn Osbourne
Heidi Lee Morgan defeated Rusty Thomas
Bob Backlund defeated Greg Valentine

Yes that says '94 not '84. What the fuck is this shit.
Wrestlingdata has this same line up taking place 2 days earlier in Valley Forge. They have it listed under Misc.(indy) instead of the WWF. It sure looks like an indy show with a few WWF guys getting a shot on an off day. Pierre was wrapping up in the WWF, and everyone but Backlund was either a pay per appearance guy or long gone. Backlund was about to take off as a heel but may have had this booked months earlier when he was still toiling away in the mid-card.

Interesting find.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jim Powers was actually somehow still with WWF at this point, at least part time. I looked up his WWF run a few months back cause pandemic boredom and he was with them until a European tour in October ‘94.

That’s incredible since I think most people’s last memory of Jim Powers is losing to Ric Flair in Naitch’s first WWF match in 1991.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
My last memory of him in the WWF is losing to Lawler on the Raw after Mania IX. Strangely Jim Brunzell also worked that Raw and he came out to "Crank it Up," not Powers. Did the music guy get confused?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Jim Powers was around forever. Seemed like a perfect Vince guy, too.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saw a clip of Powers in World Class circa 83/84ish (it was 85) Apparently he hated living in Texas so much he lasted less than a month in the territory. And apparently he was in line for at least a decent push

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
Wrestlingdata has this same line up taking place 2 days earlier in Valley Forge. They have it listed under Misc.(indy) instead of the WWF. It sure looks like an indy show with a few WWF guys getting a shot on an off day. Pierre was wrapping up in the WWF, and everyone but Backlund was either a pay per appearance guy or long gone. Backlund was about to take off as a heel but may have had this booked months earlier when he was still toiling away in the mid-card.

Interesting find.
Observer lists the Valley Forge show as WWF. There's this newsbit from a couple weeks earlier:
Among those returning to work "B" shows in July are such new generation performers as Virgil, Slaughter (who will work on top in a feud with Pierre), Valentine, Koko Ware, Lanny Poffo, Damien Demento, Mike Sharpe and Powers. King Kong Bundy is also expected back. At least in some spots they are raising "B" show tickets to $20 a pop, which will greatly increase the grosses although not the number of tickets sold. I think time after time we've seen evidence that lowering ticket prices sells no more tickets, and shows with high prices isn't a turn-off to buyers unless the price gets ridiculous like the EMLL shows in Los Angeles are for the talent provided.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yup there was a show up here in 94 or so at an armory with Sarge v Pierre as the main event. I can remember being confused as neither had been on tv in ages at that point

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saw a clip of Powers in World Class circa 83/84ish (it was 85) Apparently he hated living in Texas so much he lasted less than a month in the territory. And apparently he was in line for at least a decent push
Supposedly he was gone so fast he didn't even stay long enough to pick up his check for the week.

Around the same time a Jim Powell worked in WCCW and this caused major headaches for those who tried to track down results 20 years later.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It's odd for me to think Crockett and Vince are only a year apart. Vince's charisma was off the charts when compared to Crockett's sullen and monotone delivery in the 80s. Perhaps Vince's exuberance made him seem much younger.

jim-crockett-promotions-starrcast-interview.jpg

The look that says "Dusty just spent how much!?!!?"

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They both inherited everything too. But I'd take the 15 years of Crockett Jr's run with his company over any 15 year stretch McMahon Jr has ever had. Overall, obviously, McMahon has done better for himself in the long run.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh I forgot to mention this and maybe this belongs in the Random WCW Bullshit thread. I read a recap of a recent appearance that Don Callis made on some podcast or Busted Open Radio and he said that if the Fusient buyout had gone through, him and Joey Styles would have been the commentary team for Nitro when it returned in May 2001. Just another reason for @Laz to curse us not getting more '00s WCW.

I'd be shocked if WCW ever willingly cut ties with my man Tony Schiavone though. Hopefully the upcoming 83 Weeks episode on the Big Bang covers this.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Let me know when that Big Bang episode airs @King Kamala . I had to unsubscribe to 83 Weeks because I couldn’t take listening to him on a regular basis but that is a topic I would feel compelled to seek out.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I think they wanted Joey Styles and Callis in the booth and the shows built around Goldberg, RVD, O'Haire, and Corino.

The TEW scenario I ran a couple months back had them get a show on FX, push Mark Jindrak to the moon, and had Luger and Low Ki be named Tag Team of the Year among other things.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Let me know when that Big Bang episode airs @King Kamala . I had to unsubscribe to 83 Weeks because I couldn’t take listening to him on a regular basis but that is a topic I would feel compelled to seek out.
It is either last Monday in March or first Monday in April. 83 Weeks is my guilty pleasure podcast. Recent episodes on Sin and SuperBrawl Revenge were a bit bizarre in how purposefully detached Eric Bischoff was from the product.

I get his argument that he was just trying to get the business side of the agreement hammered through but to pay no attention to the product you’re about to take over? It just seems very very odd to me tbh.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The TEW scenario I ran a couple months back had them get a show on FX
Yeah. Bischoff was in deep negotiations with FX to move Nitro there and I think they were going to keep Thunder on TBS but once Turner canceled all of their programming, FX got cold feet.

Imagine the sweet crossover with The Shield that we missed by WWF buying out WCW.

Reality is we would've gotten Michael Chiklis sitting in front row of a Nitro in '02/'03 and shaking Goldberg or RVD's hand with a lukewarm smile and a WCW episode of Son of the Beach