Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does anybody know who the first wrestler was to spew the dreaded Green Mist at their opponents? I think the Great Kabuki was the first that I had heard of, but did anyone else do it before him?

I'm a huge mark for any wrestler who spits the dreaded Green Mist!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most random of random old school observations. Was Steve "Mongo" McMichael low-key most shrewdest of dudes in WCW during Monday Night War era? Debuted as a commentator during the first episode of Nitro as WCW was getting hot, left 3 or 4 weeks after Fingerpoke of Doom just as company was sinking.

Now I'm scared thinking that if Mongo stuck around until '00, we definitely would've seen Mongo Vs Tank Abbott.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Does anybody know who the first wrestler was to spew the dreaded Green Mist at their opponents? I think the Great Kabuki was the first that I had heard of, but did anyone else do it before him?

I'm a huge mark for any wrestler who spits the dreaded Green Mist!
Lest anyone think that the mist itself, first weaponized during a promo on Fritz Von Erich, was similarly rooted in ancient Asian ritual, its origins couldn’t be more benign. Hart’s wife accidentally spilled a bottle of green food coloring while baking cookies one day, rousing her husband’s aha moment. As Hart put it in My Life, “I took a little mouthwash, mixed in some green food coloring, poured it into a condom and tied it off really tight.” He beckoned Mera to his house, where the two honed the timing and execution of what evolved into one of the sport’s most infamous dirty deeds. The Great Kabuki became an immediate, sensational bogeyman, and Hart ensured the mist maintained its aura, characterizing it as the bilious manifestation of Kabuki’s animus toward young fans. It was pre–Reality Era gold. (Though Kabuki’s mist itself would, from virtually the beginning, occasionally materialize in an alternative crimson hue.)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

One of the dudes doing the voice overs says he had never seen a Kamala match before. I wish to study this specimen.

They interrupt Johnny Sorrow marking out for Kamala in order to compare Kamala vs Hogan to Omega vs Daniel Bryan.

This match features Hogan wearing the war paint, which the Apter mags played up as a bored Hogan looking for ways to motivate himself after 3 years of dominance. In another article from this era they suggest Hogan should start to wrestle fan favorites like Ricky Steamboat.

This card also has another of the infamously awful WWF opening matches that bore the fans for 15 mins and yet they go nutso for the babyface going over. MSG loves them some Brad Rheinghans.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Most random of random old school observations. Was Steve "Mongo" McMichael low-key most shrewdest of dudes in WCW during Monday Night War era? Debuted as a commentator during the first episode of Nitro as WCW was getting hot, left 3 or 4 weeks after Fingerpoke of Doom just as company was sinking.

Now I'm scared thinking that if Mongo stuck around until '00, we definitely would've seen Mongo Vs Tank Abbott.
Good point. All those years in the NFL probably gave him a big advantage over others trying to figure out the goofy WCW locker room/office.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching some old stuff and forgot Sika lasted in the WWF until early 88. He even lost clean(!) to SD Jones on an episode of primetime early that year.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good point. All those years in the NFL probably gave him a big advantage over others trying to figure out the goofy WCW locker room/office.
Didn't he basically vanish? I know he was written off by Hogan tossing bleach in his eyes, but IIRC Flair or Bischoff said something like he would bring absurd amounts of money on the road to party with and then one day he went off to party and never came back.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Didn't he basically vanish? I know he was written off by Hogan tossing bleach in his eyes, but IIRC Flair or Bischoff said something like he would bring absurd amounts of money on the road to party with and then one day he went off to party and never came back.
It was one of those really noticeable vanishing acts that involved coaching arena football, sports talk radio, etc.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
We were literally talking about how he was smart enough to not stick around for the downfall of WCW so he left right in time.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Surprised no one remember Mongo's appearance in Impact as the special guest ref for the Monster's Ball match at Bound for Glory '08 (which IIRC, took place in Chicago and Mongo agreed to do it to gain publicity as he was running for local office at the time).

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty sure Mongo had a really bad back injury from his football days and he took a nasty bump on the Warrior trap door that further agitated it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Corny did a segment on the SMW roster ages that I found interesting:
Bounty hunter Terry Funk was roughly the same age as current Jericho. The Young Bucks are only 2-3 years younger than the RnR Express were then. Announcer Dutch Mantel was the same age as a slew of the modern WWE/AEW top guys (44). etc etc
Granted the Express looked washed as they were burnt out from the drugs/road/injuries and had been on National TV off and on from 85-91.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
A Heroes Of Wrestling-type show might fly now just because the modern version of old timers aren't generally freak shows. It'd probably suck anyway but at least you'd have bitter Attitude/Ruthless Aggression trying to get a job or making some money. Khan could pull it off.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Barry Windham and JJ Dillon both have "get me the hell out of here" looks on their faces anytime they appear on NWA TV in late 88/early 89. Can't blame them with the ownership change and their boy Dusty getting turfed

Staff member
Reaction score