Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Do they just swap Jericho and Angle's feuds? Does Jericho face Kane at Mania? You can easily put Jericho against HHH for the Mania title shot, but leave Steph out of it and just have HHH win at No Way Out instead of the next night. Putting Steph with Angle against HHH would probably still get HHH cheered. The end result is still most like HHH to Hogan to Rock to Brock and you could go either way with either Jericho or Angle feuding with the debuting Cena and the other feuding with the debuting Rey Mysterio.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not sure where this falls in the conversation but Jericho said first month or two of his run were so bad that there were talks that he would drop the title to NASH at No Way Out '02 then NASH would drop it back to Triple H next month but Triple H thought that Jericho as Stephanie's manservant program was more of a draw than a Kliq Klash.

Chickenshit Heel Jericho Vs NWO Nash would have been weird af but tbh, I think Triple H conquering the muscle of the NWO would've been a better main event storyline than him beating Stephanie's manservant (even if they would've sacrificed some workrate quality).

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
It would have been worth it for all the complaints on the net about the Kliq playing politics. Hell put Hall instead of Nash. He can't crash and burn in one month right? Austin can face Jericho instead.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah. Imagine how the IWC would have screamed if NASH got a cup of coffee with the World Title in '02.

Although that might have slowed down the Triple H backlash by a few months, maybe?

By the time, Triple H and Kevin Nash actually feuded in '03, the IWC was fully in "Fuck that guy" mode for him and that feud was about as welcomed by them as the idea of wearing deodorant.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
To veer a little bit, the Undisputed Belt was cursed or mishandled, right?

Jericho wins it as a heel. He's there to carry it for Triple H. HHH as a lame duck and super roided up champ immediately drops it to Hulk Hogan. The Hogan drops it to Taker a month later. Taker drops it to The Rock and then Lesnar wins as the last champ. That's like six champs in a nine month span.

The Amazing Rando

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know it wasn't Undisputed after Brock won it, but wasn't that belt around clear up until Cena switched it to the Spinner?

Also, remember that in 1999 there were about a dozen title changes with seven different people holding it. 2009 also had 7 different champs. The Big Gold Belt also had a year with 7 different recognized champs (2011) and a few years with 6.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m not sure if we’re talking about the undisputed champion as a titleholder or the physical belt itself, but Jericho never actually got to hold that belt. He carried the Attitude Era eagle and the Big Gold as champion. The single, new belt for the undisputed champ was presented to Triple H on Raw shortly after he won the title at WM18.

(Side note: This is where I lose my mind over WWE refusing to use the word “belt.” A “title” is a distinction, not a piece of physical property. The two terms aren’t interchangeable.)

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
BS move by ole "on the take" Tunney. Always tried to keep Booger down.

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/classic-wrestling-review-hardcore-heaven-95/

Here's my review of Hardcore Heaven '95.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I am watching the "Little House on the Prairie" episode on Pro Wrestling. It is amusing to hear a character from the 1800's tell her husband (an older man who looked like Gene Kiniski) that "wrestling isn't what it used to be, it's a silly sideshow now." She then says her husband has "the sickness" and that is why he wants to rumble yet as an old man. (Roddy Piper's favorite term for why worker's can't quit the carny life and keep looking for another gig.)
The final kicker was the promoter's name on the show was.... Jimmy Hart.
It appears no actual workers made an appearance.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I've seen that episode. It honestly isn't far-fetched at all, the idea that a carnival wrestling show comes around and tries to con the protagonist into a match. But I quibble with the idea that the elder member of the troupe would want/try to dethrone the champion. Winning a wrestling match in Kansas/South Dakota/wherever isn't all that important.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/20200127/boynton-man-ex-pro-wrestler-charged-with-dui-striking-5-year-old-on-bike
Van Hammer has been arrested for drunk driving and hitting a 5 year old with training wheels on his bike.

Wow. I guess his post retirement is even more awful than his wrestling career...

Thankfully, 5 year old seems not to have gotten hurt too badly.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
alkeiper said:
I've seen that episode. It honestly isn't far-fetched at all, the idea that a carnival wrestling show comes around and tries to con the protagonist into a match. But I quibble with the idea that the elder member of the troupe would want/try to dethrone the champion. Winning a wrestling match in Kansas/South Dakota/wherever isn't all that important.

The old man's wife is dying and wrestling is the only way he can get the cash to keep her alive.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/maskedwrestlers/status/1222247168104390656
Always glad to be reminded of this. My favorite bad squash match. Vince and Jesse's commentary is gold.

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/classic-wrestling-review-bash-at-the-beach-95/

Here's my review of Bash at the Beach '95.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/maskedwrestlers/status/1226142038162321408
Ricky Steamboat as third wheel to The Mega Powers is something I didn't think happened!

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
The pop a hot tag from Steamboat to either Mega Power would get is insane.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looked at Cawthon's and the team that faced Ricky Steamboat & The Mega Powers was Honky Tonk Man & The Hart Foundation (with Andre The Giant as their cornerman). Damn, I wish WWE taped their Montreal house shows in the '80s after that reading that!

Edit---And it looks like Landy has footage of the heel team's promo.

https://twitter.com/maskedwrestlers/status/1226250608023392256

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Reaction score
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/classic-wrestling-review-in-your-house-2/

Here's my review of In Your House 2.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Dave Hebner was a damn good ref, especially compared to his brother.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1228043119607848960
We look at his work with nostalgia colored glasses now but Gorilla in WWF's heyday could be as senile as JR is now.

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/ovppodcast/status/1228686502911193089

More Attitude Era Gorilla, this time with some selective memory about the WWF's origins.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of my favorite singular crowd reaction shots ever. Jr's commentary is so good too.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Yeah, that fan is one of the most memorable spots of that match to me. So good.