Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Which one was prime guy? I made a prime guy joke at work the other day and my immediate manager laughed at it before we started talking about Mike Awesome.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fat Spanish Waiter never showed up here. I vaguely remember smoeater and Aceman. Is Green Lantern Fan too old and earnest to count as a internet troll?

I hope someone was able to tell Curt Hawkins and give him some peace.

Edit- Googling GLF and I forgot about him crashing Chris Candido's wake and trying to schmooze with his mourning co-workers. JEEEEEEEEEEEESUS. Might be low point of wrestling superfandom still!

Last edited:

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I vaguely remember Aceman. More the name than what kind of troll he was. None of those others ring a bell at all

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
smoeater was a Wrestling Classics/Kayfabe Memories poster that highly detailed/elaborate stories where falsely claimed he interviewed Buddy Rogers and totally fooled former Chic member Crimson Mask.

Dandy

Reaction score
I never remember the trolls (except Prime). I just remember the absolutely awful posters that make me wonder how they exist in reality.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Some of those names sound familiar. None of them are Anglesault so fuck em.

Reactions: Laz

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Did Anglesault even make it to the era where Kurt Angle had his pill induced mental breakdown and ended up going to TNA? I feel like I would've remembered him getting hyped up over TNA being the new WCW.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Miz and Morrison were an excellent team in 2008 and were booked super well considering WWE hates tag teams. The award was well deserved. The Dirt Sheet was also super over with the IWC. Surprised revisionist history says otherwise.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought it was them being best team in a fairly weak year. If there were better booked WWE tag teams in the post Hardys/Dudleys/E&C and pre New Day/Usos era, I can't think of them.

Hawk 34

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Not counting super teams like JeriShow or Rated RKO, the only tag team that I would consider being treated with some legitimacy would be MNM.

Valeyard

Reaction score
London and Kendrick. They had the titles forever.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Londrick are criminally underrated but I think they made maybe one PPV appearance as tag team champions. If I had to rate their WWE Tag Team title run, I might have to say incomplete since it seemed so centered around meaningless TV matches.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You're honestly telling me you don't remember them defending the belts against KC James & Idol Stevens on PPV??

Pretty sure they were on most Smackdown PPVs, including winning that four-way ladder match. But they never made it to a dual-brand show.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I rewatched all of the '05-'06 Smackdown! PPVs a few years back and they missed the card on some of those too.

Primo & Epico is the only other tag team that I can think of that had a ton of success, on paper, but got more ignored. I really don't think Primo & Epico made more than a PPV or two during their early 2010s Tag Team Titles runs.

Random fact: Primo & Epico may have been the last team to win the titles on a house show.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of any memorable tag teams of 2008 besides the Briscoes or Miz n' Morrison. MCMG were a thing but didn't really kick it into gear for another year or so, ditto Beer Money...

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I hated how they never had Londrick face Regal and Dave Taylor on PPV. That little mini program with Regal facing London and Kendrick in singles then bringing Taylor in was a lot of fun. I saw them have a really good match on Smackdown during one of two WWE TV tapings I've been to.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Londrick has MOTN at the house show I went to in '06 against Jamie Noble & Kid Kash. In a perfect world, I feel like Londrick Vs Jamie Noble & Kid Kash would have been a classic tag team rivalry and not a throwaway midcard B show feud.

Interesting not that old school question I saw in the WWE subreddit. Do you think Batista's 2014 run would have been better if his return was a surprise instead of them hyping them as a returning hero?

Valeyard

Reaction score
Kash and Noble were frustrating for me, like really frustrating. You have the two guys born to be the white trash asshole team who can put on great matches and cut promos, so they made them fucking pitbulls.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk. I feel like Pitbulls is a good if generic name for a white trash asshole team but I think their failure is WWE didn't give them anything to do. Even the Teacher's Pets seemed like they got more to do.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Noble and Kash don't need literal collars and chains, though. They should've been just scummy trash trying to run the Mexicools off to Mexico and uglying up those Londrick pretty boys.

I'm not saying it would've been super great or anything but they could've had a solid tag division many times over on either show if they cared. Putting randos together is totally acceptable if you commit to them being a team (Air Boom!).

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So Piper disappears following WM 2 and doesn't pop up again on tv till late summer/early fall 86. Assume he was shooting "Bodyslam" during this hiatus? Also heard he and Vince were on the outs during this time for Roddy not wanting to job to Hogan.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Interesting that the WWF had their two biggest stars other than Hogan filming movies in summer 86. Andre/Princess Bride and Piper/Bodyslam. Maybe that's why they shot the Orndorff turn that summer knowing they needed a hot angle.