Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020

King Kamala

Integral Poster
We could be nostalgic about the '00s now.

If we had anyone under the age of 30 here. :-\

Today is the 21st Anniversary of the pivotal night in the Monday Night Wars where pendulum swung in WWE's favor for the duration of the ratings war.

https://twitter.com/WWEonFOX/status/1213460070853312513
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Inspired by Tatsumi Fujinami showing up at WrestleKingdom today (and Vince Carter becoming the first NBA player to play in four decades).

What wrestler wrestled in the most decades? I'm guessing it's gotta be either Lou Thesz ('30s through '90s) or Abdullah The Butcher ('50s through 2010s). I guess Gypsy Joe has seven decades too (also 1950s through 2010s)

If Terry Funk wrestles a match this year, he'll also have wrestled in seven decades. Don't do it, Terry!
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Fabulous Moolah has 7 decades ('40s through '00s) too. Mae Young debuted in 1939 and had her final "match" in 2010 but Cagematch doesn't show any matches from the '70s or '80s for hers. Still even with that 30 year layoff, she'd still have wrestled in 7 decades :eek:

Edit- Wikipedia says Mae Young wrestled a match for WWWF in 1972 so that'd put her in eight decades but neither Cawthon's or Cagematch has anything it so I find it highly dubious.
 

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Here's a listing for the 1972 match:

http://wrestlingdata.com/index.php?befehl=shows&show=335740

I would be surprised if there isn't something there in the late '70s and '80s. The records of indy shows are spotty. There's a ton of Al Snow in the 1980s that's undocumented, for example. So Mae could've wrestled in that time frame and it just wasn't caught. I think the 1939 date is actually more dubious.
 

JN News

JN News
Does anyone here know the name and identity of the mohawked woman that got involved in the NWA Crockett Cup match that involved The Sheephearders on that night?

Was it Luna Vachon or someone else?
 

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
JN News said:
Does anyone here know the name and identity of the mohawked woman that got involved in the NWA Crockett Cup match that involved The Sheephearders on that night?

Was it Luna Vachon or someone else?
Mad Maxine. She had a brief spell in the WWF but had a better career out of wrestling.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Maxine
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
https://twitter.com/maskedwrestlers/status/1215610799630299136
Jesus fuck. The Steiners throwing these guys around is impressive as heck.
 

JN News

JN News
I'm watching AWA Wrestlerock 1986 event and I'd like to know the name of the woman who sang the coolest rendition of our national anthem.

Anyone know who that singer was?
 

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/classic-wrestling-review-the-great-american-bash-95/

Here's my review of The Great American Bash '95.
 

SFH

Integral Poster
Not to clutter the best Royal Rumble thread, I think I'm at a point in my life where 1992 will always be my favorite (unless 21st century WWE pulls something to blow me away before I croak) and any time there's a youtube video or article ABOUT it, I'll throw some attention. I don't think I can, or need to watch the entire thing anymore than I have.

Its the best, but with each passing year it also has the emotional side to it with all the greats we've lost, prematurely and naturally. The final scene with Gene, Flair, Hennan, Perfect 3x that last sentence and soon to be 4 with the life Flair has led. My last watch was last year at some point and it hurt too much. Maybe I invest too much energy into strangers, but I think that's where I'm at with it right now. I might be able to invest the 3 hours again in the future, we shall see. I hope I can, though. That show is a great example on how to book a show, even with the garbage ending to LOD/ND.
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
https://twitter.com/UweBollocks/status/1216897014660829190
Ya know it's no wonder that Rick Steiner was so angry in the last few years of WCW now that I think about it this way.
 

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
TIL that Kidman's gimmick in WCW when he was in Raven's Flock was that he was a heroin addict, hence why he constantly scratched himself.

See what happens when every single detail isn't spoonfed to me?
 

Alfdogg

Alfdogg
Not sure how common knowledge this is, but I saw an article the other day where Kurt Angle said that he was originally going to become Undisputed champion at Vengeance, but Vince changed his mind five days before the show and went with Jericho. Suppose Vince doesn't change his mind, how much is Jericho's career altered? He didn't win another "world" title until what, 2008? Does he even stick around long enough for that?
 

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Winter Epicland said:
TIL that Kidman's gimmick in WCW when he was in Raven's Flock was that he was a heroin addict, hence why he constantly scratched himself.

See what happens when every single detail isn't spoonfed to me?

They also called the shooting star press "The Seven Year Itch" to really drive home the junkie gimmick and no, I didn't realize Kidman was supposed to be a junkie until a couple years ago. You know what though? Good. It would have been more messed up if eight year old Kamala was like "Oh Billy Kidman is supposed to be a heroin addict now!"
 

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Man... re-watching the infamous Dumpster moment from the 2/8/98 Raw when the New Age Outlaws send a dumpster with Foley/Funk off the ramp, it's such a crazy moment. I completely blanked on wrestlers literally attacking Road Dogg, etc. at the ramp and stuff. So bonkers and yet it largely goes under the radar in crazy Attitude moments.
 

Fall of Epic

Epic Reine
Harley Quinn said:
Man... re-watching the infamous Dumpster moment from the 2/8/98 Raw when the New Age Outlaws send a dumpster with Foley/Funk off the ramp, it's such a crazy moment. I completely blanked on wrestlers literally attacking Road Dogg, etc. at the ramp and stuff. So bonkers and yet it largely goes under the radar in crazy Attitude moments.

That moment has a top 3 JR call for me: "THERE'S PEOPLE IN THERE!"
 

SUPER LEATHER

Integral Poster
https://rocknwrestling.blogspot.com/2020/01/three-legends-fallen.html

New blog went up this morning about Pampero Firpo, Kendo Nagasaki, and Rocky Johnson.
 

SFH

Integral Poster
LaParkaYourCar said:
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/classic-wrestling-review-king-of-the-ring-95/

Here's my review of King of the Ring '95.
You know, I watched this like most PPVs of the day, listening to it on scramble vision with no visuals, like a radio broadcast. At 14, it didn't register to me that this was a terrible show, other than that a heel won. I was excited for Vega. It didn't occur to me that it was bad booking that the big names were eliminated early.

And the backstage photo you have of Jerry "the King" Lawler during the hype package, I thought that was a PBR can in the background at first glance.

The "Creatures of the night" fans were a nice touch that I wish would have stuck around more.

Frankly, hindsight, the wrong match ended the show. If they were not going to end it with the tournament final, they should have chose the Bret Hart/Jerry Lawler match. Non-champion Bret puts on a better match (to me) than injured champ Diesel.

Love your write up. Thanks again for sharing your work with us.
 

LaParkaYourCar

I'm BACK!
Saints_Fan_H said:
LaParkaYourCar said:
http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/classic-wrestling-review-king-of-the-ring-95/

Here's my review of King of the Ring '95.
You know, I watched this like most PPVs of the day, listening to it on scramble vision with no visuals, like a radio broadcast. At 14, it didn't register to me that this was a terrible show, other than that a heel won. I was excited for Vega. It didn't occur to me that it was bad booking that the big names were eliminated early.

And the backstage photo you have of Jerry "the King" Lawler during the hype package, I thought that was a PBR can in the background at first glance.

The "Creatures of the night" fans were a nice touch that I wish would have stuck around more.

Frankly, hindsight, the wrong match ended the show. If they were not going to end it with the tournament final, they should have chose the Bret Hart/Jerry Lawler match. Non-champion Bret puts on a better match (to me) than injured champ Diesel.

Love your write up. Thanks again for sharing your work with us.

Ah, scramblevision. I watched most of the PPVs that way back then unless my cousin invited me over to his house. That brings back memories.
 

SFH

Integral Poster
Man I love that old Wrestlemania theme.


I really feel like the execution from Fink and Tunney could have been a lot better in '94.
 

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
THE TUGSTER said:
Not sure how common knowledge this is, but I saw an article the other day where Kurt Angle said that he was originally going to become Undisputed champion at Vengeance, but Vince changed his mind five days before the show and went with Jericho. Suppose Vince doesn't change his mind, how much is Jericho's career altered? He didn't win another "world" title until what, 2008? Does he even stick around long enough for that?

If Angle wins, does he get paired with Steph again? Jericho was probably the right choice to win. Or have Rock win it and make Hogan/Rock for the titles since it was the main event.
 

Laz

0101100101
Jericho was the right choice because Angle, by that point, would've been cheered so loudly over Hunter that the WM18 main is even...

...know what? I just convinced myself that it should've been Angle. Damn.
 
Top