Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here is a random old school observation.

Mark Jindrak was the only one of the Natural Born Thrillers who ever became a World Champion. He won CMLL World Title in 2017. One more former NBT to become World Champ than I would have guessed tbh.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
25th anniversary of the first Nitro is threadworthy imo but I don’t feel like starting it.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I don't know why, but I was thinking of the mixed tag from WM6, for some reason, and now I'm curious about the follow-up question: what is the most recent WWE match in which none of the participants are still alive?

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
There was an Umaga/Kamala match in 2006. Not sure if that’s the answer but that’s more recent than Benoit/Eddie.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There haven't been that many >50 wrestler deaths since '07, relatively speaking. Only "Woah! That guy is way too young to die." deaths I can recall are Umaga and Lance Cade.

At risk of sounding like a WWE cuck, I'm sure WWE paying for rehabs since the late '00s has helped.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I spent literally an hour today wracking my brain whether or not WWF had a late night call in show on USA Network in '01-'02ish and was resigned to the fact that it was a Mandela Effect thing.

But it wasn't. WWF Excess! Show is so irrelevant that it doesn't even a Wikipedia entry
Only clips on YouTube seem to indicate it was targeted towards the horndog WWF fans since only clips are of Divas profiles but maybe there were also sit-down profiles of a bored Test and other midcarders

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
It was the lead-in for Confidential. All I remember is Ivory co-hosted for a bit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
It ran from late August 2001 to May 2002, when it was replaced by Confidential and Velocity. According to its Wikipedia, it was originally supposed to be the WCWWF show initially and Excess was a super last minute replacement when they realized skeleton crew WCW would be a terrible standalone show.

Also apparently, the show was initially two hours long which seems painful.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The only thing I remember about Excess was at SummerSlam ‘01, there was a classic exchange between Heyman and JR after the Angle-Austin match. JR was blowing a gasket about Austin getting himself disqualified and screaming at Heyman about how Austin knew he couldn’t actually beat Angle. JR kept getting more and more heated, demanding a response from Heyman.

In a bit that was edited from the Network version, Heyman pauses for a second and then calmly looks at the camera. “Ladies and gentlemen, we have a great new show coming on the USA Network called WWF Excess!” JR looked like he was about to explode.

Valeyard

Reaction score
It should've been a WCW show anyway. It's not like they wouldn't have big stars "jump ship." Rumorz at the time said HHH and Benoit were going to be the big faces of the new WCW.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I remember Excess. I think the debut episode featured HHH's first on-air appearance since injuring his quad. They took calls and one of the callers asked about Kevin Nash.

They also hyped up an episode featuring HBK's return to WWE after getting fired a year or so prior. I think he joined the nWo a week or two after this show aired.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kamala tried to start conversation about how things might have gone if Bryan Danielson had been kept in 01. The invasion roster with some additional workers like Bryan & some crossovers could've made for a good 1-2 hour weekly show. Would have added months, maybe another year to a much better invasion angle. And then more of the main eventers would start coming back in. Steiner, then the NWO, and Rey by Summerslam 02. Maybe Sting earlier than that 2014 if the whole thing hadn't been so badly botched by the WWE.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Re-watching Beyond the Mat on Netflix...

Michael Modest and Tony Jones are highlighted as two indy standouts. I know Modest went on to have a decent career in the indies in the late 90s/early 2000s but I don't know much about Tony. Did he ever go on to do anything noteworthy?

Here's our answer.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I thought about it and got all confused about what to do

Valeyard

Reaction score
NWA show from '88 I just watched had Nikita Koloff and Dr. Death teaming up. That's scary.

Valeyard

Reaction score
GLAAD went from praising WWE to hating them over the course of 18 hours. Classic Vince.

I don't think Chuck ever recovered from this, either.