Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
WWF @ New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - October 21, 1985 (19,000)

Andre the Giant & Hillbilly Jim (w/ Capt. Lou Albano) fought Big John Studd & King Kong Bundy (w/ Bobby Heenan) to a double disqualification at 14:08 when all four men began brawling in the ring as Albano and Heenan fought on the floor; after the bout, Andre, Jim, and Albano cleared the opposition from the ring

I'm guessing actual draw was Piper's Pit with Bruno. But the show's draw being based around an interview segment (even with the biggest draw in MSG history squaring off against the current #1 heel) ain't much better than it being based aroubnd (sic) a match involving Hillbilly Jim.

Studd and Bundy had injured Andre in August to fire up even more Studd/Andre matches as the billion they had in 1983 and 1984 wasn't enough.

Then 2 weeks after this MSG card, they do another injury angle w/Andre (both were done in Toronto) that lead to gimmick tag and singles matches against Studd and Bundy.

Plus the MSG show in Sept had Andre vs Bundy in the "Colossal Jostle" as Vince still had a mass hypnosis over us that made us want to see big fat hosses sweat on each other and execute zero movez.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They're too busy having "rip an eye out" matches to show that kind of blood and guts.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tidbit I forgot...Test debuting in kayfabe as Motley Crue's bodyguard.

Another example of how even during WWF's hippest era, they were still kind of out of touch by Motley Crue being their choice for a band that is hip and with it in 1998. I'm chuckling trying to imagine what currently relevant in 1998 band Test could have been bodyguard for. I guess an oft prime Motley Crue doing "Wildside" ages better than Test sitting on side of the stage as Third Eye Blind performs "Semi-Charmed Life"

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Test's debut was obviously staged but he was IRL a bodyguard for them so they decided to utilize that to introduce him. Also wasn't this right after Vince Neil rejoined the group? Probably trying to capitalize on the reunion. Their greatest hits record also came out that year.

Last edited:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
The Crue’s WWE appearances were to promote that Greatest Hits album. They also played “Bitter Pill” on Heat that week. I’m sure I wasn’t the only one excited about the performance but I was probably one of the only 8th graders in 1998 who were stoked about it. I don’t remember many of the other kids at school talking about how awesome the Crue was on Raw, although everyone knew Tommy Lee was a big deal. Also the Raw where they played “Wild Side” was the last time Nitro won in the ratings. Surely that had more to do with the Goldberg-DDP replay, but I don’t think the Crue helped.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
In 2 minutes? It’s a post from the future?

Attachments

• E1600A24-7B8C-4050-8111-DD670B8D3A5E.jpeg
    E1600A24-7B8C-4050-8111-DD670B8D3A5E.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 9

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Test's debuted was obviously staged but he was IRL a bodyguard for them so they decided to utilize that to introduce him. Also wasn't this right after Vince Neil rejoined the group? Probably trying to capitalize on the reunion. Their greatest hits record also came out that year.
Their reunion album Generation Swine was in '96-'97. This was a bit after that but not so after it that group started to splinter again.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I know Tommy Lee left the band shortly after their Raw appearance (and if I'm remembering correctly, the guy they got to replace him wound up passing away) to do his solo stuff and Methods of Mayhem. It wasn't until the mid-2000s that they reunited for good.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bruce Prichard is good buddies IRL with Billy Gibbons and Vince loves his classic rock that rocks so no surprise they are regulars.

I brought this up a few weeks ago but I was amazed to find out in Jericho’s 3rd book that Vince turned down KISS as RAW Guest Hosts in ‘09/‘10 cause he thought they were irrelevant. But then again considering the type of classic rock Vince likes, maybe he thought they were too sissy and inauthentic. Which is rich considering his line of business.

All I know is I wish we got Paul Stanley taking an RKO.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

Another example of how even during WWF's hippest era, they were still kind of out of touch by Motley Crue being their choice for a band that is hip and with it in 1998. I'm chuckling trying to imagine what currently relevant in 1998 band Test could have been bodyguard for. I guess an oft prime Motley Crue doing "Wildside" ages better than Test sitting on side of the stage as Third Eye Blind performs "Semi-Charmed Life"
I just watched the clip. I'd wager Gunn and Road Dog would rather be listening to Hank Jr. I found NOA trying to be cool here to be a little cringe/forced. X-Pac seemed legit.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Judging by his recent Tweets, I’m guessing Road Dogg would most prefer listening to David Allen Coe’s X-Rated albums that aren’t allowed to be sold at record stores.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Today I learned that Dick Murdoch legit was a Klan member. Well, ok then.

I have seen zero Murdoch outside of his random appearance in the '95 Rumble but heard he was quite the worker back in the day.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Today I learned that Dick Murdoch legit was a Klan member. Well, ok then.

I have seen zero Murdoch outside of his random appearance in the '95 Rumble but heard he was quite the worker back in the day.
He had the Terry Funk comedy bumping style. IIRC the match he has with Afa at MSG in 1984 is on the Network. It's either the best or worst thing you'll see today, depending on your wrasslin' views.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score

1998 was that weird flux period in mainstream US hard rock where Korn and RATM were the only big deals, with Pearl Jam clinging around and the likes of Limp Bizkit, Sevendust, Kid Rock, and Orgy were starting to make waves. It wasn't until the next year that LB would be really huge, and Kid Rock was the big deal in later 1999/early 2000 before Slipknot just washed them all away.

EDIT: I forgot that Rob Zombie released his solo debut in 1998, but he also licensed half of the tracks to ECW because he was a fan.

I still say Stuck Mojo was fucking robbed. They were one of the only bands to mix rap and rock and do it well, using break beats and Pantera-style groove riffs.

Last edited:

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
Murdoch and Adonis were a great team and it's well worth finding their stuff. It's a shame we didn't get them dropping the belts to Windham and Rotunda at Wrestlemana as the first true show-stealer.

Crue on Raw got me to buy my first Crue album.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Murdoch is an overrated worker and was a shitty person. Unfortunately, the overrating of his in-ring work increased after his real life became better known.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Murdoch is an overrated worker and was a shitty person. Unfortunately, the overrating of his in-ring work increased after his real life became better known.
Are we basing this on post 1988 Dick Murdoch? I can't really agree in the least. He even steals the show at Slamboree 93 by busting out high spots in a match where seemingly half the competitors were busting their ass for a gig, The Hardliners made me hate them well enough in 91.

It occured to me a few days ago that had Jay Youngblood got off the drugs, he and Steamboat could have had a good run in the WWF in 85 with all the talent around. They worked MSG in the early 80s as a touring star tandem.

IIRC Murdoch and Adonis were supposed to lose to the Briscos but Jack retired before that could come about. The North East Connection stuck around in Japan for a bit after the WWF run ended.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm basing that on his whole career. Not saying he was terrible in the ring, but nowhere near great either.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Happy 30th anniversary of Halloween Havoc '90! That ppv featured a dumb ending to what could've been a good main event, a silly Black Scorpion skit, and two classic tag team matches in Steiners-Nasty Boys and Doom-Horsemen.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I hate that ending, but man is it cool watching the faces of the little Stingers when it goes down.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm basing that on his whole career. Not saying he was terrible in the ring, but nowhere near great either.
I'm not trying to troll, but what is the earliest we have of Murdoch? Mid-South in the early 80s? I guess there is a little bit of AWA Texas Outlaws stuff where they are bumping for Crusher/Bruiser. Like a lot of guys, we're missing like a decade of stuff on him.

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
I'm not trying to troll, but what is the earliest we have of Murdoch? Mid-South in the early 80s? I guess there is a little bit of AWA Texas Outlaws stuff where they are bumping for Crusher/Bruiser. Like a lot of guys, we're missing like a decade of stuff on him.
There’s ‘70s footage from AWA and Florida.

Valeyard

Reaction score

One of my favorite wrestling videos ever.