Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Observations/Questions Thread 2020-21

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score

I remember watching the goofy "Billionaire Ted" skits when they first aired but didn't know how deep they leaned into smearing Ted Turner. In the first video, Dok Hendrix acknowledges that Turner has threatened legal action against them and the end of the second video encourages viewers to speak out against Turner in the then recent Turner Broadcasting and Time Warner merger.

Last edited:

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
That last skit is what got USA Network to ban any future Billionaire Ted skits. They weren't about to run afoul of Time Warner Cable.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
He made it seem so easy, and sold for everyone he touched without losing anything. That is probably the best laid out match (and by far the best Rumble) ever. Savage being a dumbass aside.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Race/Blackwell and Funk/Wahoo both could've been really good.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Between The Sheets is always tempting but I can't imagine wanting to listen to Bix talk for 6 hours. He gets a lot of shit now and deservedly so but Bill Simmons had one of the best statements ever in the early '00s and I'm paraphrasing; Absolutely nothing should last more than three and a half hours. I would put criticial surgeries and international flights as exceptions but that's it. Even sex probably gets annoying if it lasts 4+ hours! Not that I would know.

Hey. This isn't the podcast thread!
I don't want to derail, but I missed this. They have everything time stamped with makes it much easier to get through. I rarely ever listen to the whole show and just go to WWE/WWF, WCW, ECW, TNA, and Puro sections depending on the weeks and years they do. Doing that makes it a 90 minute to 2 hour listen on some shows.

The episodes on the 80's are a tad shorter and the episodes that really go long are the ones where WCW is doing something stupid and incompetent. I could hear anyone talk about the final few years of WCW, even Bix. I actually don't find Bix too bad on Between The Sheets, but he gets obsessive with needless details a lot and as Brody said Kris Zellner will often get fed up with that and move on to something else. I like the podcast more than most of the official podcasts like Bruce's. Arn's, or Bischoff's I've tried, but I definitely understand not wanting to listen to Bix's voice for that long of time.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Sheik and Backlund has some good clashes prior to the title change. Supposedly the Masked Superstar and Paul Orndorff were both almost in the transitional champ spot.

---

Matt Bourne starred in the worst SVU "kidnapping" plot ever.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was listening to a Stick to Wrestling podcast on the Backlund years on Thursday and John McAdam said that Vince Jr put little if any thought into the transitional champion between Backlund & Hogan. He decided it was just going to be whoever was Backlund's opponent of the month at MSG in December '83. As great as he was in the era, I'm not sure if Iron Sheik was most deserving of that spot.

It would've been great if Masked Superstar got a cup of coffee with the WWF World Title. Bill Eadie is one of the 5-10 most underrated wrestlers of all time IMO and I feel like even a brief run with the belt would have launched him up 50+ spots on all time greats list. Demolition Ax rules!

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was listening to a Stick to Wrestling podcast on the Backlund years on Thursday and John McAdam said that Vince Jr put little if any thought into the transitional champion between Backlund & Hogan. He decided it was just going to be whoever was Backlund's opponent of the month at MSG in December '83. As great as he was in the era, I'm not sure if Iron Sheik was most deserving of that spot.

It would've been great if Masked Superstar got a cup of coffee with the WWF World Title. Bill Eadie is one of the 5-10 most underrated wrestlers of all time IMO and I feel like even a brief run with the belt would have launched him up 50+ spots on all time greats list. Demolition Ax rules!
Verne offered him the AWA title in 1985 and told him something like "I'll get you 10K a week from Baba, and you can give me 2000 grand for my cut as promoter. Eadie told him "Inoki is already paying me 10 grand and I get to keep it all"

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm assuming he would have gotten the spot that Stan Hansen got? If so, interesting he shifted to a guy with even more Japanese commitments.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score

Matt Bourne starred in the worst SVU "kidnapping" plot ever.
This was the incident that led to the Road Warriors being put together. Borne and Arn Anderson were about to win a tournament for the vacant NWA National tag titles but obviously Borne had to be fired from GCW. So Ole took a trip to Minneapolis to see Eddie Sharkey and find new talent. Sharkey tried to sell Ole on Animal and Rick Rude as a team but Ole saw Hawk at the bar and thought he made a better fit for the team. The Warriors were brought onto TV as the new champions without actually winning a match. Didn't stop Borne from getting work for the next decade, however. :confused:

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
One of my teachers had that book in the collection for us to read. I have/had it on my Amazon list (I may have removed it).

Dandy

Reaction score
Bonus memory this spawned:

I had the book "Hulk Hogan wins the belt!" when I was likely 3 years old or so. I read it 5 million times. Then years and years later I finally saw the Hogan/Sheik match (likely on a CHV in the late 80s) and was baffled that none of the book's narrative happened as it was told.
I had that book. I had actually seen the match prior to reading the book and still convinced myself I had seen it wrong.

Reactions: SFH

Valeyard

Reaction score
Watched part of a WJ show. It felt like watching watching Johnny 5 get beat to death.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Never liked O.M.G. He lives in the area, occasionally would make surprise appearances at indy and ECW house shows. No one cared. When the big flood of a few years ago damn near wiped out most of the greater Baton Rouge area he used his "fame" to set up a Go Fund Me and rebuild all the non-famous people in his neighborhood had to rebuild their lives on their own backs and insurance SNAFUs. Not sure how fair that is.

Unrelated take watching Royal rumble stuff on Youtube: Demolition feels like they could slide into almost any era and fit right in. At least Smash. And dear God Barry Darsaw without makeup or a repo mask is just so boring looking. Something about him getting into those two characters made him so fun and full of life. His 89 Rumble entrance I was like "give me THAT version of that guy right now on Monday nights and I'll set my DVR again."

Bill Eadie just looks like he'd kill a baby for a payoff at any stage in his career.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Bill Eadie just looks like he'd kill a baby for a payoff at any stage in his career.
season-6-the-simpsons-6x4-xT5LMxWNoyoQ2Hh6VO
giphy.gif

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think Demolition is one of the greatest tag teams of all time and such a classic pairing. The fired up brash youngster and the tough as nails veteran. I think it's one of the only cases in wrestling of the imitation being better than the original.

I never knew that in WWF canon they acknowledged Jacques Rougeau was The Mountie prior to The Quebecers run and explained that he trained to become a Mountie after Ray retired.

Reactions: SFH

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I remember how shocked I was when I found a video a few years ago where Jean-Pierre Lafitte acknowledged he was Quebeccer Pierre.