Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Thread: Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation 1 and more

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Posted by: dubq April 03, 2009 11:35 am
One-shot releases or re-releases on newer consoles/handhelds.

Chrono Trigger is my biggest retrogame. Lots of replay value, too, with the multiple endings.

The original Metal Gear Solid on PSX. I love this game even if it does look like absolute shit on my television. I'd actually really like to try the Twin Snakes remake on Gamecube.

Gradius 3 on SNES. This is my all-time favourite space shooter. I could play this until the end of time and never get bored.

Posted by: Patty O'Green April 03, 2009 01:21 pm
I've been trying to play Suikdoen downloaded from the PSN. I swear I remember liking this game a whole lot more back when I was a wee little kid. Its not that its bad or anything now, but I guess I just remembered it with rose colored glasses.

The original Persona for PSX always has a place in my video game roster even with the shit ass 1st person view and missing Snow queen quest. Apparently they're rereleasing it for PSP, which is gonna make me have to buy a PSP if they put the snow queen quest in there.

For some reason I play extra innings on the snes a lot also. Doesn't have real teams, doesn't have real players, and I could just as easily pick up MVP baseball or something, but there's something about super deformed characters named dancing with cheerleaders after they hit a home run or their eyes bugging out when they make an error that warms my frigid cynical heart.

Posted by: luke-o April 03, 2009 01:58 pm
Favourites:

Mega-Lo-Mania (Mega Drive)
Resident Evil 2 (PS1) - My favourite one of the series
Space Chanel 5 (Dreamcast)
Parappa The Rapper (PS1)
Skitchin' (Mega Drive)
Mega Man 2 (NES)

I could play all of these for ever and ever. I love them all.

Do we feel a retro gaming Draft coming on?..

Posted by: HarleyQuinn April 03, 2009 02:08 pm
I'm a sucker for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4: Turtles in Time for the SNES. I blame it on the catchy music... and the sewer level.

Posted by: Rendclaw April 03, 2009 03:46 pm
Lufia II is the one I keep coming back to, just a great old school console RPG. Final Fight 3 is a lot of fun, as well. There is just something about playing Mike Haggar doing running lariats or Guy doing what he does (wrecking all kinds of shit) that is just a lot of fun to me.

On the arcade tip, its Twin Cobra. Granted, I am cheating quite a bit by using save positions to fall back on if I screw up, but hey, I spent enough money on this game back in the day.

Posted by: daileyxplanet April 03, 2009 03:53 pm
I find it easier to go back to the 16 bit era easier than any other. Perhaps because that is because they were my glory days. But 32-128 bit games look worse in my opinion.

Posted by: Adam April 03, 2009 03:53 pm
I am currently re-playing Pokemon Red from the original R/B/Y series.

Any other fans on the board?

Posted by: Brooklyn Zoo April 03, 2009 04:05 pm
I played the shit out of Pokemon Blue. I like Ruby a lot better though cause you get those running shoes. In Pokemon B/R/Y, you always had that slow ass walk. Which sucks ass when you have to walk through a cave and have fucking Geodude pop out on you for like the fifth time.

Posted by: daileyxplanet April 03, 2009 04:13 pm
I got Diamond for DS when it came out, never had the same magic. Although it was obviously a superior game.

As for Zoo's slow ass walk problem, that's the beauty of an emulator. Hold down spacebar using Visual Boy Advance and it speeds the fuck out of it.

Holy shit, I looked at this thread and suddenly felt realllllly old. Resident Evil and Metal Gear Solid are retro games?! Oh man, we're shit old, gentlemen!

If you think that's gonna make you old, wait another 10 years when you WILL hear kids ask

"what the fuck is a VCR?"

Dames.. I hear that already.

devo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Besides the basics, like the 2D Mario and Sonic games, I play a full campaign of Shining Force II and Ogre Battle 64 every once in a while. They're still among my favorite RPGs and since I haven't managed to get a good ending on the latter even after three playthroughs there's still replay value beyond nostalgia to be had.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fun fact: I've just re-completed Pokemon Red in less than 36 hours. And I wasn't exactly playing non-stop. Well, I beat the E4, I didn't get all 150 or so pokemon.

Edit: I did take the time to get the three birds, though.

Cuban Linx

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Secret of Mana, every year or so i drags my SNES out of mothballs and play it again. Still holds up as my favorite game ever.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Usually something like a point and click Adventure game, the Lucasarts series or Tex Murphy series for example.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ooh good call Muzz.

I love me some Room Escape games.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
There's a ton of games anyone else will mention (Super Metroid, Mario 3, Mario Land, Pokemon, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy series) so here's a few that are pretty obscure.

Yo! Noid (NES) - A simple but fun platformer. I really enjoyed it growing up. Even if the pizza eating contests suck.

Adventure Island series (NES) - A very hard series of platformers. Playing the original is akin to trying to raise your blood pressure, but it's a lot of fun.

Dragon Warrior (NES) - This is one of the simplest, yet most addictive, RPGs I have ever played. It's a blast just to go around leveling up for hours on end. The "one guy vs. the world" mentality is awesome. Whenever I get sick of huge epic RPGs, I go back to this one.

Sonic Blastman 2 (SNES) - It's a beat em up, and doesn't do anything particuarly innovative, but I still play it nevertheless. It does everything well.

Raiden Trad (SNES) - I guess the fact it's one of the few shooters I can actually beat helps, but the soundtrack is pretty amazing.

TMNT II: Arcade Game (NES) - It doesn't even matter that it's not as fun as the Arcade version, because I still really enjoy it.

Legend of Legaia (PSX) - One of my all time favorite video games. The battle system has rarely been outdone in a RPG.

One (PSX) - Kind of like what Contra on PSX should have been.

treble

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are any of the Master System Sonic games currently available on the Virtual Console any good?

The Dames

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Man, I played WWF No Mercy on the N64 last night after Wrestlemania. The graphics do NOT hold up on a 1080p set.

Still the best wrestling game I've ever played.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I usually go back to Star Fox 64 and Super Punch Out ever few years and just crush the shit out of them. Probably the 2 games I'm best at.

I'm thinking about giving Metal Gear Solid another run through. Wanna hook up my Master System and go through Zillion 2 and the Alex Kidd games again

Garth

Very Active Poster
Reaction score
I'll usually play by way through Monkey Island 1,2 & 3 at least once a year.

If I ever have a son, I want to name him Guybrush.

Speaking of point and click adventures though, I also loved Day of the Tentacle and Broken Sword. Play those through pretty regularly as well.

Are there any other good point and click games people care to recommend?

the max

Soxy
Reaction score
Been playing the shit out of Mega Man 2 and 3 on the virtual console.

Also coming to around the time where I dig out Diablo for my PC and start from scratch to kill the dark lord.

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Garth said:
I'll usually play by way through Monkey Island 1,2 & 3 at least once a year.

If I ever have a son, I want to name him Guybrush.

Speaking of point and click adventures though, I also loved Day of the Tentacle and Broken Sword. Play those through pretty regularly as well.

Are there any other good point and click games people care to recommend?

I forgot about Broken Sword. I love the first two in the series, just good old fashioned adventure goodness.

I'd always recommend the Tex Murphy series. http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/tex-murphy-series

If you haven't, give "Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis" a go.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
There's a ton of games anyone else will mention (Super Metroid, Mario 3, Mario Land, Pokemon, Goldeneye, Final Fantasy series) so here's a few that are pretty obscure.

Yo! Noid (NES) - A simple but fun platformer. I really enjoyed it growing up. Even if the pizza eating contests suck.

Adventure Island series (NES) - A very hard series of platformers. Playing the original is akin to trying to raise your blood pressure, but it's a lot of fun.

Dragon Warrior (NES) - This is one of the simplest, yet most addictive, RPGs I have ever played. It's a blast just to go around leveling up for hours on end. The "one guy vs. the world" mentality is awesome. Whenever I get sick of huge epic RPGs, I go back to this one.

Sonic Blastman 2 (SNES) - It's a beat em up, and doesn't do anything particuarly innovative, but I still play it nevertheless. It does everything well.

Raiden Trad (SNES) - I guess the fact it's one of the few shooters I can actually beat helps, but the soundtrack is pretty amazing.

TMNT II: Arcade Game (NES) - It doesn't even matter that it's not as fun as the Arcade version, because I still really enjoy it.

Legend of Legaia (PSX) - One of my all time favorite video games. The battle system has rarely been outdone in a RPG.

Aww, reading that these are obscure has made me feel even older than the Guitar Hero: Metallica thread. ;D
In their own times pretty much every one of those titles was easily well known to me and my friends.

I usually fire up the emulators for a game of...
Punch-Out!! (any of them. Arcade, NES, SNES)
Bionic Commando (not so much since the remake hit)
Final Fight (I really liked the Gameboy SP remake, MORE than arcade amounts of enemies!? yes!)
Golden Axe (MAME for arcade)
Indiana Jones (on Atari 2600 because WTF it was a crazy game for it's time and seems crazier in retrospect!)
Fatal Fury 1 (pretty easy to play on a KB, I always lose my decent USB gamepads and it's hard to play fighters without one.)
Street Fighter (any of them but usually Super as Super Turbo is too mean and the gamepad issue again...)
Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis)

I used to play a ton of arcade games on MAME actually. Something very cathartic about getting some free shots in on those quarter munching jerks from my childhood. I was big into Neo Geo on my PSP too for a while.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
I just finished a 2 or 3 day Secret of Mana binge. It's been so long since I've actually played all the way through I'd forgotten a lot of the game. I'd also forgotten how fucking annoying the AI of the computer controlled characters is. I know it's an old game, but even when it was made I don't think it was asking too much for my characters to not keep running into the wall when I'm trying to move along.

jwest27

Active Poster
Reaction score
Every once in a while I'll fire up NBA Jam Tournament Edition on the ol' Romulator, proceed to get completely pissed at the bullshit AI, hurl a controller once or twice, and then swear off the game forever. It's like some sort of odd ritual.

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Sabre said:
Adam said:
Dandy said:
Goldeneye on N64
I was playing that just yesterday on via myWii. The multiplayer is still the benchmark.

say what?

I have no idea what happened to my post up there, but i'm 100% positive I didn't type 'via my Wii'. I'm sure I typed 'on my friends 64'

Adam

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No.

At least, I don't think I was. I don't drink, but stranger things have happened. Perhaps it was on my mind, I was previously playing Mario Kart on the Wii.

I won, fwiw.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
griffinmills said:
Psycho Penguin said:

Aww, reading that these are obscure has made me feel even older than the Guitar Hero: Metallica thread. ;D
In their own times pretty much every one of those titles was easily well known to me and my friends.

I usually fire up the emulators for a game of...
Punch-Out!! (any of them. Arcade, NES, SNES)
Bionic Commando (not so much since the remake hit)
Final Fight (I really liked the Gameboy SP remake, MORE than arcade amounts of enemies!? yes!)
Golden Axe (MAME for arcade)
Indiana Jones (on Atari 2600 because WTF it was a crazy game for it's time and seems crazier in retrospect!)
Fatal Fury 1 (pretty easy to play on a KB, I always lose my decent USB gamepads and it's hard to play fighters without one.)
Street Fighter (any of them but usually Super as Super Turbo is too mean and the gamepad issue again...)
Revenge of Shinobi (Genesis)

I used to play a ton of arcade games on MAME actually. Something very cathartic about getting some free shots in on those quarter munching jerks from my childhood. I was big into Neo Geo on my PSP too for a while.

Yo! Noid has to be obscure. I am glad you have heard of it and enjoyed it growing up, but there's no way it was a well known and popular game.

Not like I named Blaster Master, which is another classic. ;)

Sabre

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Ive been playing Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix quite a bit, and although not retro, can i have some love for skies of arcadia?

Ah yes and when im not busy at work im playing FFVII on my psp. Gotta love emulation.

griffinmills

I finally changed this.
Reaction score
Psycho Penguin said:
Yo! Noid has to be obscure. I am glad you have heard of it and enjoyed it growing up, but there's no way it was a well known and popular game.

Not like I named Blaster Master, which is another classic. ;)

Ha, no I don't know why by Yo! Noid was well known in California at least as the Noid was a tie in with Domino's Pizza chain. It has been taken to task on AVGN and Sean Baby and was from Capcom and not just some fly by night developer or publisher. I will saythat it is specifically "well known" but I will grant you that it was not very "popular" or well liked, you are correct! Too bad as it's more or less a decent game, as you said.