Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Thread: Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation 1 and more

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As far as Saturn went, I pretty much just had sports games (World Series Baseball, NFL QB club, NHL "insert year"), Mortal Kombat II, and Virtua Fighter. Even with the failures of Saturn though, I never crossed over to Playstation. The only Sony system that I own is a PSP. Never owned a Genesis either, getting back to Sega games.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I rented a Saturn like a year after it came out. I was really impressed with Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA. I think back then I wanted to buy a Saturn.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My best friend had a Saturn, the only thing I remember about it is playing Virtua Fighter 2 non-stop. I think he had one of the Street Fighter Alphas on there also...2 maybe?

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Black Lushus said:
My best friend had a Saturn, the only thing I remember about it is playing Virtua Fighter 2 non-stop. I think he had one of the Street Fighter Alphas on there also...2 maybe?

Alpha 1 and 2 came out on Saturn, but 3 was only available in Japan (as Zero 3).

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
I wanted a Saturn when they had that "three free games" deal. My mom wouldn't get me an N64 that year, which I really wanted, because "it doesn't come with a game." So I brought this proposal to her and she still turned it down. Then I wanted Super Mario RPG but she refused to pay the exhorbitant cost of it, us being pretty damn poor at the time, so you know what I got for Christmas '96? NBA Hang Time. Bah.

M

Matt Young

Hey, that was one of my gifts, too. I think the SNES version played better than the N64 version, even though the N64 version had WHOAMG awesome (for 1996) facial graphics.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I had both a Sega CD and 32X. The one game I did like for the 32X was Moto X (IIRC that's what it was called). Very basic, typical 3D motocross game of the era.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
HarleyQuinn said:
I had both a Sega CD and 32X. The one game I did like for the 32X was Moto X (IIRC that's what it was called). Very basic, typical 3D motocross game of the era.

Motocross Championship

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Either Mortal Kombat or NBA Jam I have a copy of for all three genesis, 32x, and sega CD. I forget which one it is. Don't ask me why, I own all three of those systems so obviously I'm weird.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Smues said:
Either Mortal Kombat or NBA Jam I have a copy of for all three genesis, 32x, and sega CD. I forget which one it is. Don't ask me why, I own all three of those systems so obviously I'm weird.

Which Genesis and Sega CD?

There's 2 different Genesis models (that work with 32x, anyway) and 2 different Sega CD models. There's the Genesis 1 with the audio jack on it and the smaller Genesis 2. With Sega CD there's the tray loader and then there's the side car. There's like 4 possible combinations! Gotta catch 'em all! Plus, while it isn't "officially" compatible, the CDX actually works with the 32x, too. Throw in the X'Eye/Wondermega (a JVC-made Sega CD and Genesis in one unit) and the Genesis 3, and there's a lot of different systems that played Genesis games.

I think there may be barely more RPGs on Genesis than there are types of Sega systems.

EDIT: Oh, and the Nomad.

Yeesh. There has to be more systems than there are *good* RPGs, at least.

Scroby

Low rent Indy Referee
Reaction score
Speaking of NBA Jam, I really wish a company made a new version of NBA Jam and put it on the Marketplace or the Sony Store or whatever the hell Sony calls it. They don't even have to use actual teams, just make it the 2 vs 2 games with the fun gimmick slamdunks and shots.

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Scroby said:
Speaking of NBA Jam, I really wish a company made a new version of NBA Jam and put it on the Marketplace or the Sony Store or whatever the hell Sony calls it. They don't even have to use actual teams, just make it the 2 vs 2 games with the fun gimmick slamdunks and shots.

Aren't Hoopz and Ballers like that?

TheSSNintendo

Integral Poster
Reaction score
You want old-school? I was playing Wolfenstein 3D the other day on XBox Live Arcade. Talk about a trip through time.

Anybody besides me own an FC Twin?

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
heh, Duck Hunt...I know I'm not the ONLY one who held that gun as close to the screen as possible, neverminding Nintendo's 6 feet away instruction.

BUTT

Kreese
Reaction score
My favorite Zapper game was probably Gumshoe. Of Nintendo's own light-gun efforts it's the least minigame-ish. I don't think any third parties really did anything good with it. When I was 5 I was impressed with Gotcha, but it's not actually any good. How can it be? It's from LJN.

Black Lushus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Gumshoe was actually one of the first NES games I ever owned. I think I got that and Kung Fu with the system itself for Christmas back in like 85 or whenever.

luke-o

www.thecollectorsroom.co.uk
Reaction score
AndrewTS said:
re: Saturn

Supposedly Panzer Dragoon Saga is really good too, but I wouldn't know, because there was only like 5 English copies made.

Bugz
Clockwork Knights

Bug! and Clockwork Knight, actually. I didn't think either were particularly good even at the time, though. I'd imagine most early adopters were thinking "Where TF is Sonic?!" while being blissfully unaware of Sonic X-treme's development hell and Yuji Naka being a prima donna.

My mistake on the names. I like Bug! Clockwork Knight isn't amazing, but a decent enough platformer. If your desperate to have a "new" Saturn game, you could do worse.

RE: Panzer Dragoon Saga - it is awesome and I own one. It wasn't worth the money gameplay wise, but from a collectors standpoint, it was totally worth it.

Psycho Penguin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
hondabro69 said:
My favorite Zapper game was probably Gumshoe. Of Nintendo's own light-gun efforts it's the least minigame-ish. I don't think any third parties really did anything good with it. When I was 5 I was impressed with Gotcha, but it's not actually any good. How can it be? It's from LJN.

Shooting Range was an addictive time killer for me when I was a kid.

Twisted Intestine

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ChrisMWaters said:
Figured this was the best thread to post this in.

Old school game with a new twist. At 5:50 it goes DOUBLE old school.

Super Mario World Autorun

wtf? Hows he just slide through the game/which game is that?

I just picked up a SNES with Mario world, NBA JAM, Spider Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage, Mario Kart, Mario PAint, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong country 2 and starfox! I'm gunna start playing.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm going to consider this old school.. I had no idea that a survival horror game was made as a sequel for The Thing! I just picked up the PS2 version on ebay, brand new, for $5 USD. I've read some pretty good reviews of it so far so I'm psyched to play it!

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With all this Zapper talk, I have to bring up Hogan's Alley. I don't remember if I played it alot as a kid because it was a fun game with a simple concept or because I was waiting on the Hulkster to show, but I used to love it. I'd never even heard of Gumshoe until I saw it in a used game store a few years ago. It does sound interesting. And to put a more modern day twist on the subject, I really enjoy the Ghost Squad port for the Wii. It helps that I got it cheap, but me and a friend were playing this every day for a solid block of time a little while ago.

ChrisMWaters

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Mr. Dressup said:
ChrisMWaters said:
Figured this was the best thread to post this in.

Old school game with a new twist. At 5:50 it goes DOUBLE old school.

Super Mario World Autorun

wtf? Hows he just slide through the game/which game is that?
They set up the level with various things on an emulator version of Super Mario World to do so. Hence the name Autorun.