Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Thread: Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation 1 and more

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
dubq said:
I'm going to consider this old school.. I had no idea that a survival horror game was made as a sequel for The Thing! I just picked up the PS2 version on ebay, brand new, for $5 USD. I've read some pretty good reviews of it so far so I'm psyched to play it!

Sweet - this just came in the mail today. It has 2002 release date on it and the disc is one of the old blue-back cd's.. from what I can see it looks RE2'ish on the graphics. Either way I'm psyched to play it. Did anyone else play this when it came out or over the years?

AndrewTS

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That game was actually reviewed on the Spoony Experiment. Didn't look bad exactly, just kind of mediocre.

*ding* Fusebox #40!!

I got it used one time but it did not work at all on my slim PS2.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
I just bought an Atari and over 100 games on Ebay.

I have an arcade room in my house with 3 TVs for my 4 SNES, 2 NES, 2 N64, 2 PS2s a PS3 and a WII + Plus a game boy advance, sega genesis plug and play (with a SD card plug in that I've never gotten to work at my house oddly - it works at my buddy's house.

My SNES and PS2 have the biggest libraries (minus the new Atari mother lode)

The N64 is probably my smallest collect at maybe 8 games. I bought it primarily for Mario 64.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice setup.

My N64 collection is probably the oddest for me too because I don't have some of the staple games. Like, for some reason I never got Mario 64 and I was never into Zelda. Think the only major games I have for the system are Goldeneye, the wrestling games and Shadow of the Empire (if that even counts).

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
My N64 collection was pretty sparse too: Mario 64, Goldeneye 007, Ken Griffey Jr's Slugfest, WWF No Mercy, WCW/nWo World Tour, WrestleMania 2000, WCW Revenge. I think I also had like Madden '99 and maybe NFL Quarterback Club '98 or '99 (with Brett Favre on the cover?) too.

My sister had Snowboard Kids as well along with the 1st Mario Party.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
i'm not much of a gamer anymore but I replay Final Fantasy VII and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night yearly.

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
I beat Super Metroid yesterday.

When I played it 21 years ago on a few different rentals, I was just doing so because I liked the setting, atmosphere, etc. but for whatever reason I never figured out where I was going, what I was doing, I died a lot, and I didn't have any patience for playing it properly. I fell into these same traps when I got it on the VC.

I started playing it on the weekend and found myself really getting into it, going far, NOT dying at the first Chozo boss, etc. Stuck with it and had a lot of fun.

I realize the game is probably pretty easy compared to the original Metroid (which I'm worse at but may gave it a go, though watching James Rolfe beat it made it look like a real chore with the inability to retain weapons when you upgrade to a new one) but I was happy.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Started a 165 game season on Super Baseball Simulator 1.000 last week.

Fun times.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Venkman said:
I beat Super Metroid yesterday.

When I played it 21 years ago on a few different rentals, I was just doing so because I liked the setting, atmosphere, etc. but for whatever reason I never figured out where I was going, what I was doing, I died a lot, and I didn't have any patience for playing it properly. I fell into these same traps when I got it on the VC.

I started playing it on the weekend and found myself really getting into it, going far, NOT dying at the first Chozo boss, etc. Stuck with it and had a lot of fun.

I realize the game is probably pretty easy compared to the original Metroid (which I'm worse at but may gave it a go, though watching James Rolfe beat it made it look like a real chore with the inability to retain weapons when you upgrade to a new one) but I was happy.

Did you save the animals or are you a monster?

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
12533432_985677631515473_870056388_n.jpg

You knew it was coming.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
After years of using 360 and XBone controllers, I feel like I going to snap my PS2 one in half because it feels so much lighter. The X button wasn't responding well so I managed to crack it open and clean everything without screwing it all up which I am proud of myself for, though now you have to hold down Start for a second before it does anything, but that's fine.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I was thinking of breaking out my SNES and for some reason started thinking of random old games. This led to me buying a SNES copy of Eek! The Cat off eBay this morning for $15 shipped.

Aero

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Last week, I was in the mood to play a side-scroller on an SNES emulator. I ended up choosing Super Empire Strikes Back, which I had never played before and knew little about, other than thinking that the SNES Star Wars trilogy was fairly well regarded.

Oof, this game just kicks your ass. Enemies, projectiles, and level hazards at every turn, boss battles that take forever, and it’s only two levels in! I endured long enough to get past the Hoth ice cave levels, but then I could barely progress much further before I had to quit. I’ve since become aware that this is generally considered to be one of the hardest games on the SNES, so it all makes sense now.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I played that a lot. Was happy when I found the Nintendo Power in the library with some level skip codes to try other leves.

Based on that Eek! The Cat purchase, started pulling through old systems and bought some other games for SNES, N64, Game Boy and even PS2/Xbox online because I was thinking about messing around with an article on CXF.

Did this quick one this weekend based on my first video game, thinking the others will be more entertaining going forward

http://culturecrossfire.com/gaming/retro-gaming/game-vault-bugs-bunny-crazy-castle/

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I always wanted to play ACME All-Stars but never had a Genesis...

Come to think of it, I am not sure I ever got a chance to play a Tiny Toons game. I may have played on a neighbor's regular Nintendo but know I always wanted to try Buster Busts Loose for the SNES and never got to try it.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
Super Nintendo game release coming - first one in 19 years. On sale $50 on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y3RB65T//ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=nintendoeverything-20&linkId=7bd408cc36a8d13ffc9917d69e9196ab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G45OH4UESlE

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Posting this with the admission that I know almost nothing about emulators: Has anyone ever played with one of these Retropie systems built with a Raspberry Pi? I first started looking at them last year when the NES Classic was impossible to find. The concept seems great, but I'd feel better about buying one if I knew the performance was solid.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/32GB-Raspberry-Pi-Retro-Gaming-Console-RetroPie-Kodi-PixelOS-beats-NES-Classic-/142403114152?hash=item2127e314a8%3Ag%3AIhAAAOSww5hZMkHc&_trkparms=pageci%253Aeae8ffcf-49a1-11e7-acfb-74dbd18002b1%257Cparentrq%253A765ece7a15c0a7f8c2045583fffa4940%257Ciid%253A2

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have a friend that gives me grief for getting a Retron 5 because they're in the Raspberry Pi camp.

I'm happy with my Retron. And with a very minor tweak on a standard SD card you can dump roms for every system the Retron plays on it and just emulate off the card. It's great.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Update! The Raspberry Pi/Retropie machine is super fun, and the Lost Levels of Super Mario Bros is every bit as difficult as advertised. (Or maybe I'm just a lot worse at this than I used to be. Oh well, fun and highly recommended either way.)

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I had a co-worker telling me about Raspberry Pi. Is it just a machine that lets you hook up emulators through HDMI so you can play it on a tv?

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Pretty much. The Raspberry Pi itself is basically a mini computer that can be used for all sorts of stuff. The Retropie software enables it to play all the emulators, and it has a pretty clean interface. The kit I got came with a pair of SNES-style USB controllers.

Download the roms on your PC, transfer them by USB stick or over a Bluetooth connection, and you're in business.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I also have a retropie that has every game ever made for NES, SNES, Genesis, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Atari Lynx and like 8,000 arcade games on it. It's the size of a pack of gum. I still play my actual retro systems but I can bring this literally anywhere that has an hdmi capable monitor/tv so I enjoy it for that. I use a usb hub that hooks up an adapter that lets me use my actual snes/nes/genesis controllers because most of the third party usb controllers just aren't the same. I've discovered a lot of games I would have never found/tried out so it's a win for me. Cost me about $75 with all the games already on it.

Tino Standard

Integral Poster
Reaction score
$75? You got a hell of a deal. The ones with all the games already installed are going for more than twice that on eBay now. My guess is that the NES Classic craze drove up the market.