Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Old School Thread: Nintendo, SNES, Genesis, N64, Playstation 1 and more

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I started playing Star Tropics on the NES Classic. It's interesting that is a combination of LOZ game play and dungeons with with a large open world map.

CookieMueller

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tino Standard said:
$75? You got a hell of a deal. The ones with all the games already installed are going for more than twice that on eBay now. My guess is that the NES Classic craze drove up the market.

I got it on Craigslist. The guy was super nice and installed everything I asked for. It's a raspberry pi zero which also makes it a little cheaper but everything plays smoothly so I'm not complaining.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
Sega is releasing a lot of old stuff on iOS and Android starting tomorrow:
http://www.avclub.com/article/sega-will-start-releasing-its-classic-games-free-m-257120?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=feeds

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Oh man I just got back from a friend's house and he was playing the original Japanese Contra. Damn thing had an intro, cut scenes, and a few other nice nuances that I'd never seen before. Stage 5 had actual snowfall that affected game play more than the US version.

Just a reminder of how Americans are viewed by the Japanese from a gaming standpoint.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Watching "The Completionist" suck at Super Punch Out because he won't slow down and counterpunch is making me more upset than it should. It's like when James Rolfe sucks at games on James and Mike Monday, only to beat shitty/hard games for the Nerd vids. AHHHHHHHHHH!

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
Brodypedia said:
Watching "The Completionist" suck at Super Punch Out because he won't slow down and counterpunch is making me more upset than it should. It's like when James Rolfe sucks at games on James and Mike Monday, only to beat shitty/hard games for the Nerd vids. AHHHHHHHHHH!

Super Punch-Out is a game I can pop in every few years and get through pretty easy. I won't set any records, but I can get through without losing a fight. Always loved it.

I kinda fell out of AVGN when he did an unwatchable Christmas episode a couple years back. Should probably dip my toe back in

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think AVGN fell insomuch as he just kinda aged like a normal person.

Mental Lee ILL

JN News
Reaction score
I have the classic mini-NES console that my sister bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I can't tell what my favorite games are on that thing. But I love the new console.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I have the classic mini-NES console that my sister bought me for Christmas a few years ago. I can't tell what my favorite games are on that thing. But I love the new console.
Time to mod it and add ALL the titles.

They were kind enough to leave tons of room on the unit for way more ROMs.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I picked up a cheap CRT last year and started building a retro corner in our gameroom downstairs. My wife still had her childhood NES and Sega, so I cleaned those up, and then picked up a SNES and N64. She still had a sizeable chunk of her games as well, so I just started filling in with other games that I wanted from my childhood as well as games she wanted. It's kind of been a fun little side thing to do even with things being so expensive. It sucks I sold off all the stuff I had as a kid when I moved out of parents house back in the day. I would have been sitting on a goldmine.

Here is a shot of our retro corner. This is from a few months back so we've added some games since then. (in spoilers because of size)

da0j15b5ma091.jpg

jmqouqe5ma091.jpeg

j47zbdg5ma091.jpeg

alfdogg

Alfdogg
Reaction score

alkeiper

Welcoming our new insect overlords
Reaction score
Looking for something to play I tried out Yoshi's Island on the Switch's Super Nintendo selection. Holy crap, that game rocks. It's wonderfully inventive, the reviews for it were/are tremendous and I'm surprised it isn't talked about more.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking for something to play I tried out Yoshi's Island on the Switch's Super Nintendo selection. Holy crap, that game rocks. It's wonderfully inventive, the reviews for it were/are tremendous and I'm surprised it isn't talked about more.
Had they come up with something a little different than the crying Mario gimmick, it may have been even more beloved. Visually spectacular for the era....but that squealing kid!
I still have my copy from 1996 or whenever.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score

I would love to magically have a list of the games I was able to play from 3rd grade-ish to middle school study hall. I have some random memories, but nothing concrete. I have a CD copy of Number Munchers, but there has to be so many others I would love to unlock memories of.
(We did not have a "CPU Lab" until 5th grade. Then we finally started to learn how to type. Before that it was one CPU per 4 class rooms or something like that and you had to sign up to sacrifice outdoor recess to play.)

From this list Odell Lake, Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego are the only ones that jump out as things we had at Hillbilly Elementary.

It's kind of fun to think about how Oregon Trail got 2 or 3 revisions and each time we were all like HOW CAN THIS GET BETTER??!!

And then came Amazon Trail, WHHHHHHHAAAAAT?!!?!

Same basic story with Carmen Sandiego as they got 1 or 2 upgrades from 87-95 at least

There are one or maybe 2 point and click adventure sort of games I recall from middle school, but I have such vague memories of it, I don't even know what I would put on a reddit post to try and have others remember it. "You find ABC gum" and "I think there was a castle door at the start?" are not going to cut it.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"I think there was a castle door at the start?" are not going to cut it.
castle-of-dr-brain-screenshot.png

COULD IT BE?!?!?!?!?

===

This is one they'd have us play in high school in 99-00ish in a class designed for teaching us....mechanics(?) or something. There was a flight simulator, a radio studio to record verbiage and music to a cassette as part of the class projects, building popsicle bridges and cpu work.

Last edited:

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Being a 90s kid, we had the Super Number Munchers version. As a kid, I was all about those Dr. Brain games for the PC too.