Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Protests of Summer 2020

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
And that area already has reports of "community enforcer" brutality and extortion. Methinks aBoLiSh CoPs isn't the answer.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
And that area already has reports of "community enforcer" brutality and extortion. Methinks aBoLiSh CoPs isn't the answer.
So all I could find regarding this claim was a Fox News article quoting some Seattle cops. Just curious where you're getting this from?

Laz

Reaction score
I'm trying to find the twitter thread of people inside of it calling out makeshift enforcers that are perpetuating the same bullshit techniques they're (rightfully) accusing the Seattle PD of. Will add later.

EDIT:
Reports of extortion have been verified as false, according to business owners within CHAZ and Seattle PD. There was an early occurrence of a self-appointed guard taking steps too far, I want to say his name began with an R, but it was dealt with.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Only speaking from my own experience: I used to attend neighborhood watch meetings (until I realized certain elected officials were just jerking off the audience, figuratively) and they did this whole thing of electing block captains and who to call, etc.. etc.. for community policing.

Fast forward to 3 days later and we got Joe Q Public from 123 Street Ave posting in our Facebook group, "Tonight I will be doing foot patrol on these streets, I will be wearing *clothes* and carrying my *insert gun type.* Motherfucker was (in my eyes) actively seeking to go Zimmerman someone. The next few nights a few others started posting similar. I screen grabbed, forwarded to group mod (who sucks at her modding) and tracked down the mid level deputy that moderated the previous meeting on Facebook and sent him the same. Basically "you see what you created?" Next meeting the deputy dude chastised all the Zimmerman wannabes without naming names.

Not sure how the meetings are going these days after an old person feebly, fearfully, asked what happens if marijuana gets legalized and elected official Bozo went on a tirade of how Colorado now has the lowest productivity in the nation and "I have better things to spend $10 on than a joint!" But the Facebook group is back to people complaining about "red car, ran stop sign" and "loose cat, X street."

ANYWAY: it needs to be addressed that there will be members of the public taking it upon themselves to ruin the discussion of reform.

Staff member
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/directedbyjohn/status/1271286282744786945

http://theavtimes.com/2020/06/11/suspected-suicide-body-found-hanging-from-tree-in-poncitlan-square-palmdale-issues-statement/

This man was lynched. Literally lynched

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/NetflixIsAJoke/status/1271312504472301571

GOAT

you can tell he's angry about Lemon calling him out, and Dave makes the Don look pretty bad for doing so.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
https://twitter.com/NY1/status/1271840654512009216
Can the neoliberals please stop stanning this maroon?

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, we won. Some pig just killed a person in Atlanta while they were running away.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
Avid Warehouse Enthusiast said:
I'm trying to find the twitter thread of people inside of it calling out makeshift enforcers that are perpetuating the same bullshit techniques they're (rightfully) accusing the Seattle PD of. Will add later.

EDIT:
Reports of extortion have been verified as false, according to business owners within CHAZ and Seattle PD. There was an early occurrence of a self-appointed guard taking steps too far, I want to say his name began with an R, but it was dealt with.
So maybe abolish the cops?

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For as much trash as I talk about this area, today we had 100+ person march several miles in the heat organized by Black Lives Matter activists and our local NAACP chapter. In the middle of the procession was the city police chief and the Sheriff elect for our incorporated and unincorporated areas. Hand in hand, side by side. The local paper (who I am generally suspicious of) noted that marchers were multiple races, multiple ages. Our chief (I've mentioned him before, black man) mentioned that recently while on a jog someone called him the bad words not realizing he's the chief of police. I didn't like the previous head of our community (similar to mayor) but he hit this appointment out the park.

I don't know much about the new sheriff, but even if this is just lip service, he's doing it for a small percentage of our population that his occupation has a systematic history of harming. He's standing up for them instead of the majority of red state yahoos around here. The entirety of this nation has a shit ton of work to do. But today, my small bubble gives me hope for a few hours.

Laz

Reaction score
Every single one of them will scatter when a group the same size shows up to take the statue down.

geniusMoment

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
People screw up everything. Police are now going to take back the zone, and it just gives the pro-police crowd more ammunition.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

At least some of the Confederate monuments that have been recently removed from places of prominence in Richmond, Virginia, are being stored on the grounds of a waste water treatment plant, photographs show.

aside from the dump this is the perfect location

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Former coworker apparently missed the heat of being in the army and decided in his mid 30s to go to the police academy and is now a local cop. I saw him in the wild recently and asked him how it was going, basically to see if my civilian world view of how things are going matched his reality. He said it's not bad at all, in so many words echoed what I said about our local leaders and organizers. He pointed out assholes are going to be assholes regardless of race, but there hasn't been a single issue with any of the protests, marches, and demonstrations. He said no matter what they do, public wise, being crowd dispersement, impaired driver, etc.. anything where there's expected bystanders and passers by there is almost 100% of the time a civilian filming the interaction, but not like First Amendment auditors, just Joe Blow videoing things hoping for something that'll go viral (which that happened when I tagged along with the volunteer firemen and they had a medical call).

I spouted off my theory that the smartest move ever made in this town was going full Rooney rule for police chief, he agreed, but the man is very very qualified and when I was a kid was always super nice to my family.

Frankly social media, here, hasn't had any events for BLM and similar since at least mid June.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6