Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

PS5 Dropping 11/12 for $499.99

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I had one buddy of mine catch the intial wave from Best Buy. I guess he missed out but got a second chance when they did a sweep of people violating the one per customer rules and cancelled orders. He works nights and just happened to see he had a chance at like midnight the day everyone was mad.

I’m tempted by PS5 but I feel if I get a new system, I’ll start with Xbox because my friend that I primarily play coop with managed to get a Series X order in.

I did see that there was an announcement the release date sales are supposed to be online only, which makes me feel they are still trying to produce them - which also makes me wonder if this first wave will have extra issues.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
If anyone is getting a PS5, Target is doing Buy 2, Get 1 free on movies, music and games and they are including non-Sony 1st party games. I told my buddy who has a system on order so he could get some stuff to play at launch.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I'll have one by 2031, I might get a PS4 when the prices drop.
That’s a great move for now, I think. There are a lot of things on PS4 and they will want to move units. I have one friend getting the PS4 and one with the Series X but with how little I’ve played games the past few years and the backlogs I have, I really have no sense of urgency to get the new gen.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
While I love my PS4. I can’t see buying new games for it with the 5 out there. Plan on getting a 5 as soon as I can find one.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll probably wait until Black Friday/Christmas time to look at getting a PS5 if I can get it either on sale or with some gift cards utilized towards it.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I know this is the PS5 thread, but my Series X should be arriving in a day or so. It shipped late Monday night from just outside Dallas, but Target is saying it'll get here by Nov. 17th. Now, mind you, I live in Houston and it's like maaaaaaaaybe a 6 hour drive between the two cities.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
I'll probably wait until Black Friday/Christmas time to look at getting a PS5 if I can get it either on sale or with some gift cards utilized towards it.

with as limited as these are going to be for the next little bit I doubt there will be any reason for a store to give any extra incentive to buy one Black Friday. They’ll sell themselves at full price.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
with as limited as these are going to be for the next little bit I doubt there will be any reason for a store to give any extra incentive to buy one Black Friday.
Agreed but the flip side could be stores trying to entice buying with an 'X % Off' Coupon which may or may not apply. I think any sales or coupons would be far more likely for December/January at the earliest but with COVID, who knows what businesses are planning to try and scrape any profit they can get.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
With how weak the launch lineups are for both the PS5 and Series X/S, I'm not too worried about getting either. If I can find one in the wild? Cool. But if not? No big deal.

HSJ

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I never buy a system at launch. I can't justify the price tag with the game lineup they put out.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Facebook targeted articles (and shared posts from the groups) are being very unkind to the launch, lots of breakage reports. I'm unable to verify the validity of each individual one, though.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Facebook targeted articles (and shared posts from the groups) are being very unkind to the launch, lots of breakage reports. I'm unable to verify the validity of each individual one, though.
It's 2020 so of course, this would be happening... Some of the videos have been proven to be fake e.g. the 'smoking X Box Series X' but the PS5 sounds legitimate and it wouldn't shock me if the X Box does have some disc drive issues.

Found this: https://screenrant.com/ps5-glitch-storage-building-broken-wont-start-acg/

"Popular YouTube game reviewer ACG reports that his PS5 was "100% dead" as of yesterday, citing "storage rebuild issues" that other PS5 reviewers - who have been playing on the same console build players will receive tomorrow - have also corroborated.

Other reviewers, such as GiantBomb's Jeff Gerstmann, have corroborated PS5's storage building glitch, but ACG's case is the first total console-bricking documented as a result of this apparent software and hardware weakness."

"That's not the only issue that's being reported on social media; the console is allegedly having problems with the disc drive, and in one instance, has stopped working altogether.

Meanwhile, other problems are cropping up that may be disc drive related. One Twitter user posted a clip of their console making a series of clicking sounds in both a horizontal and vertical position."

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah to me it seems absurd to buy at launch. I get why so many people do it because NEW, but I always wait a year or two or more for the game library to build up and watch Youtube gameplay vids to wet the appetite for a new system. And even beyond the game library, it seems like the new systems are always a little buggy and filtered with problems early on.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I found out Fable is being brought back for Xbox so if I'm getting a console again that made up my mind along with all the backwards compatible games i have and the strong pc crossover its supposed to have. That said I have no intention of dropping 500 dollars (plus 200 or more on games) on a console ANY TIME soon.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Probably jinxing myself, but I used my Digital edition PS5 yesterday for a few hours and I have not seen any of the issues people have been having SO FAR. Astro's Playroom is a neat little Mario Odyssey style game that really shows off the console and controller (holy shit btw) abilities. Not sure if many 3rd party devs will take full advantage of the awesome controller but I hope they do.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As of right now it isn't the hardware issues or the weak launch lineups that are giving me the most pause.

It's HOW QUICKLY these fucking hard drives are filling up. Holy shit. I knew storage was going to be bad this gen and it seems even worse than I was expecting. And it's not like last gen when I could just buy a big ass external and be good to go.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
As of right now it isn't the hardware issues or the weak launch lineups that are giving me the most pause.

It's HOW QUICKLY these fucking hard drives are filling up. Holy shit. I knew storage was going to be bad this gen and it seems even worse than I was expecting. And it's not like last gen when I could just buy a big ass external and be good to go.
No shit. I have been moving files to my Series X and I'm slowly watching it fill up and there's no way I'm going to shell out for a $250 memory card. I've moved the few games that I've played on a serious nature but man, these file sizes are fucking ginormous.

Cartman

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I definitely understand the struggle if you like having a ton of games installed and ready to play all the time, and the bigger issue for people that have data limits or caps. The good news is, if you don't have the data cap issue it's MUCH quicker to download/install games on the PS5 so deleting and downloading games shouldn't be a major problem. I personally don't jump around to different games very often so the storage isn't a big deal.

Youth N Asia

Boners, and farts.
Reaction score
My brother got me a bundle from Kohl’s with an extra controller and Spider-Man while I was asleep. Hoping it doesn’t get cancelled.

skullman80

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was able to snag a PS5.

Impressions:

1. The Dualsense Controller is legit. It's amazing, and a huge step up from the PS4 dualshock.
2. The whole system is fast and everything moves smoothly. The SSD is no joke. It's super quick and makes a huge difference for loading games etc. Even from a cold boot (non rest mode) to playing spider man is probably 20 seconds or so. If it's in rest mode ...its even quicker obviously. No more long loading times for things, or taking 5 minutes to get into the PS store.
3. Spiderman looks and plays great... the fidelity mode really shows things off, but the performance mode looks almost as good and the 60FPS is buttery smooth.
4. Astro's playroom is a great pack in title that shows off the controller and how awesome it is.
5. The system in general is super quiet. Disc spin up on install and every once in a while, but mine has been reallllllly quiet.

Storage is an issue. I have an 1 TB external SSD hooked up, so all of my PS4 games are on there which leaves the PS5 HDD to just PS5 games. Having the external SSD drive for the PS4 makes those games load super quick as well, and playing God of War and Ghost of Tsushima at 60FPS is like playing the game all over again. It's a huge huge difference.

In any event launching with just a 1TB SSD and only 685GB of usual space is dumb and shortsighted.

I've had none of the issue that have been reported *knock on wood*