Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Punk Rock Thread: Second Generation

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was about to bump the old punk thread, but the board suggested that I start a new one since it's been a long time since anyone posted there. Let's talk about some punk rock again and all of its offshoots, tell some stories, whatever. I have plenty to share on the topic.

I started getting into punk in the early '90s when I was in the eighth grade. My first tape was Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols and it's still one of my favorite records to this day. Finally acquired an old vinyl copy last year - pink cover, but I hope I find an old yellow cover in the wild for cheap someday. I also have an original copy of the "Holidays in the Sun"/"Satellite" single. "Holidays in the Sun" is one of the best opening tracks in rock 'n' roll history if you ask me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ah1JM9mf60

Black Flag's Damaged blew my fucking mind when I was fourteen. Although the Sex Pistols were great, Damaged is probably the only record that legitimately scared me. I felt such a sense of paranoia listening to it back then; there was no way this record was legal to own. Rollins haters can suck it because Damaged is the best Black Flag record ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf6W9TMol6U

My first punk show was Fugazi at the Metropol in Pittsburgh in the summer of 1993. In on the Kill Taker had just come out and I was a big fan at the time. They were great, but I knew I needed to get back to the East Bay and figure out what was going on here. Started attending shows at Gilman Street a couple months before I turned 16 and immediately fell in love with the East Bay punk scene. Unfortunately, I showed up too late to see Green Day or Rancid or Jawbreaker, as well as underground bands like Filth, Blatz, Econochrist, or Grimple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8RrFBJWKFc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zwqMOsPK6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj1BKsLfkKI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18ATCRxpXDg

Although I missed a lot of great bands that set the standard, you have to define your own generation. I wasn't into the pop punk or ska-core bands of the time; I was looking for local hardcore punk bands and there weren't many. However, I found a handful of bands who filled the void by playing way faster or heavier. Capitalist Casualties and Spazz played hardcore at a ballistic pace that verged on grindcore territory. I saw them as my equivalent to older bands like MDC and DRI and started my fair share of circle pits at their shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BkNjFW3w6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMk6L8lEOvw

Dystopia summed up my generation of punk kids in the late '90s, for better or worse. Angry, depressed, nihilistic, drug-addled, sarcastic, and sometimes whiny and bitchy too. We hated ourselves and thought it was funny. We hated you too and that was hilarious. We probably hated each other too, but it didn't really matter when Dystopia was playing at Gilman Street or Mission Records or wherever because it was just a fuckin' party that brought together all the dysfunctional elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg6CHLDCeNs

My favorite punk show of all time took place in 1996 when Japanese hardcore legends Gauze played several shows in the US. I was lucky to see them at Gilman and they were incredible. You can find the video on YouTube, but it's nothing like being there in the pit seeing grown men in their 30s playing flawless hardcore like it was their second nature. I compare being there to stories I've read from old punks about seeing the Bad Brains for the first time; it was one of those things that solidified your commitment to the 'core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbw0HbC3MdE

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Ramones are right in the convo for my personal top 5 bands of all-time just right off the bat. I love a pretty wide swathe of Punk. On the "lighter" side I was always into NOFX, Sublime, etc but I was also into Black Flagg, Dead Kennedys, Misfits etc. I'm not really good with what should be considered part of a "genre" because I think there's a pretty thin line between some metal/punk/alternative bands especially.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"53rd & 3rd" might be the quintessential '70s punk song to sum up the era to a new listener, as it is one of the perfect examples of early punk as minimal rock 'n' roll with disturbing lyrical content.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm a huge Bay Area punk nerd, so I went about trying to amass a digital archive of bands with the intention of creating an ongoing podcast series where I would play as many bands as possible, from the obvious to the obscure. Didn't do the podcast for reasons, but I learned about a LOT of obscure bands in the process. Here's a YouTube playlist I compiled of early Bay Area bands who released material between 1977 and 1979. 31 songs from the days when punk rock was a wide-open thing that encompassed a lot of sounds. All that mattered was making your own thing and your own statement that was outside of the mainstream.

Bands: The Tubes, Mary Monday & the Bitches, Crime, the Nuns, the Avengers, Leila & the Snakes, the Hitmakers, Tuxedomoon, the Mutants, Negative Trend, the Dils, Seizure, SST, the Sleepers, UXA, Destry Hampton & the Wolves from Hell, John Vomit & the Leather Scabs, Noh Mercy, KGB, the Offs, Freestone, Dead Kennedys, Sudden Fun, the Maids, the Tools, the Units, Pink Section, the Adaptors, Eye Protection, the Sick & the Lame, and Psychotic Pineapple.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7Jpj0yuMwgOrr4HRUrYFFbD

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
My "gateway" into punk was really The Offspring/Green Day/Blink 182 growing up in the 1990s which led me to the classic bands of the 1970s. I started exploring a lot more of the Post-Punk bands including Depeche Mode, Talking Heads, The Cure, and Gang of Four which led me to stuff by The Minutemen, Bad Brains, Minor Threat, etc. and gradually evolved that into bands like Bad Religion, Pennywise, and Rancid.

A recent band worth checking out is Vessels from the Pacific Northwest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1olN1FamXBU

For CWM, there's a Canadian band out there called Counterparts who've been around since 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z87S4EZH7fw

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I've never been a huge fan of Talking Heads, but I downloaded their demo session from 1975 and it is fantastic. I think the songs lend themselves better to a more lo-fi sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRO-RSTtY-I

Can't stand Green Day, but I would see them live at a small club in a heartbeat. I saw Pinhead Gunpowder play an unannounced show at Gilman some years back and they were great. Billie Joe is a phenomenal performer. He has all the tricks down. Anyone who fronts a rock 'n' roll band should study him in that setting.

Punk's "cleaner" side - Blink 182, Pennywise, etc. - fascinates me somewhat because it is so utterly foreign to me and I can't figure out where they get their inspiration from what little I have managed to hear. That world exists outside of anything I've ever been involved in, but I still kinda acknowledge it as residing under the same umbrella as whatever crazy shit I have in my record crates.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Here's a second Bay Area punk playlist that covers releases between 1979 and 1982. 30 songs. Punk is still a free range of alternate expression with hardcore just beginning to formulate.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7KnF-lRhkwg5R3a7zDFSIhV

Bands: Pearl Harbour & the Explosions, the Nubs, VS., MX-80 Sound, Snuky Tate, VKTMS, the Maggots, Flipper, Society Dog, X-Isles, the Symptoms, the Undead, Spikes, Wounds, Los Microwaves, Bob, Red Asphalt, Toiling Midgets, Romeo Void, Fried Abortions, the Mercenaries, Wilma, Start, Crucifix, Sick Pleasure, the Lewd, the Fuck Ups, Code of Honor, Free Beer, and MDC.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Super Leather said:
Punk's "cleaner" side - Blink 182, Pennywise, etc. - fascinates me somewhat because it is so utterly foreign to me and I can't figure out where they get their inspiration from what little I have managed to hear. That world exists outside of anything I've ever been involved in, but I still kinda acknowledge it as residing under the same umbrella as whatever crazy shit I have in my record crates.

For me, I view the "cleaner" side as a progression of the New Wave style punk which was more alternative rock with some punk ethos to it. I think bands like The Offspring and Green Day perfected the style and thereafter a lot of the more 'popular' 90s pop punk bands followed that format. Even bands like Sum 41 kind of toed that line. Their popular hit song "Fat Lip" is pure punk looking back and re-listening to it.

Bands like Sex Pistols and The Clash were very poppy despite having the punk label attached to them. No way would they be regarded as Hardcore in today's world and would probably hew closer to the "cleaner side" of the above for the most part especially the Green Day style.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would think that NOFX resides on that list too as a band that created the 'clean-punk' format to follow. They even started as a scrappy hardcore band on the infamous Mystic Records label.

My observations of the post-Y2K generations of dirty punk kids have seen Discharge and Negative Approach replace the Pistols and the Clash, who are almost seen as Dad Rock at this stage. That's funny to me because all four bands were considered 'old school punk rock' when I was a teenager in the '90s. There is also more awareness of obscure US, European, and Japanese HC/punk thanks to the internet and books like American Hardcore. Although it's kinda funny seeing some teenage spiky punk kid wearing a logo of some random-ass Scandinavian HC band who only contributed a few songs to a compilation LP, I sometimes wonder if it is any different than the retro rockabilly fans that a lot of punks tend to deride.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
no fact said:
Is OpIvy considered punk or more ska?

Go with the best of both worlds and call them Ska Punk :) But I've always associated them more with the general Ska scene alongside the likes of Sublime and very early No Doubt.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Operation Ivy is most definitely a punk band referencing ska. Ska punk is a fine descriptor though. All of those dudes were fans of ska and roots music; Tim's older brother Jeff was something of a music guru to them with his ridiculous record collection. However, Operation Ivy had next to nothing to do with the actual ska scene.

Check out the Uptones if you want straight up Bay Area ska. They're still around in some form. Some of their songs are really good.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bay Area punk playlist #3 covers the incredibly active years of 1982-83. 31 songs. Maximumrocknroll has evolved from a radio show to a monthly newsprint magazine, firing their first salvo with the classic Not So Quiet on the Western Front double LP compiling choice demo cuts from new bands all over Northern California. Hardcore, punk's bratty kid brother, has pretty much taken over. Although hardcore has injected a new youthful energy, it is not without cost to the punk movement itself. Weird and artsy bands have been squeezed out in favor of the louder-faster-harder approach. Slamdancing and stagediving have replaced the pogo. Most of the women and queer folks who were around for punk's early days tire quickly of the sudden influx of aggressive teenage boys, heading for greener pastures. "Punk" is no longer a wide-open thing with wildly different interpretations that all make sense; it has become codified with a comparatively uniform look and sound. Darker days are ahead.

Bands: Gang Green & the Amputators, (Impatient) Youth, Pop-o-Pies, Intensified Chaos, Naked Lady Wrestlers, Lennonburger, Tongue Avulsion, Vicious Circle, Deadly Reign, Pariah, Church Police, the Faction, Ribzy, WarZone, B-Team, Sleeping Dogs, Bad Influence, Urban Assault, Bad Posture, Fang, Drunk Injuns, the Dicks, Atrocity, Angst, Whipping Boy, Black Athletes, the Sluglords, Black Humor, Verbal Abuse, Special Forces, Condemned to Death.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7IN70NQBaX4Nasvd-rfNAQc

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Outside of the Misfits, OpIvy was one of the first punk bands I ever heard as a kid. They definitely got me into the deeper ska stuff that shaped my listening habits for the rest of my life.

Btw, speaking of Jawbreaker in your OP, Super Leather, did you see the recent documentary? Just saw it a few months ago and really enjoyed it.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
No, I didn't even know Jawbreaker had released a documentary, but that probably explains their recent reunion shows. Haven't listened to them since the '90s outside of their early demo recordings. I have been thinking of downloading Unfun to give them another chance now that I'm older and less hung up on hardcore.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
They were never really in my radar when they were first active but I'm kind of digging their stuff now.

Here's the trailer for the doc:

https://youtu.be/1bzPWeYSN-A

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Love your playlists, Super Leather! Inspired by that, I created a Boston Punk Playlist with bands from the 1980s - early 2000s. The Boston scene is probably best known for its 1980s run but there's a lot of good stuff even into the early 2000s and modern day.

The Bands: A Wilhelm Scream, Bars, D.Y.S., Disaster Strikes, Face to Face, Frigate, Gang Green, Human Sexual Response, In My Eyes, Kicked In the Head, La Peste, Psycho, Reach the Sky, Slapshot, Some Kind of Hate, Street Dogs, The Dresden Dolls, The Explosion, The Freeze, The F.U.s, The Hope Conspiracy, The Radio Knives, The Real Kids, The Suicide File, The Upper Crust, and Trap Them

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjDJChtEALL7rryrPllY4EQ2cP7SDD7yo

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thanks! I have more on the way. Your Boston playlist looks interesting with a nice array of bands. Love that you have Psycho on there, but no Out Cold or (heh) Toxic Narcotic?

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Super Leather said:
Thanks! I have more on the way. Your Boston playlist looks interesting with a nice array of bands. Love that you have Psycho on there, but no Out Cold or (heh) Toxic Narcotic?

I'm not super well versed in the Boston scene so I figured I probably missed some (though that's why I have you to post alongside me!)

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Toxic Narcotic is a must for any Boston-focused punk playlist. They were THE crust band.

If you add straight up "tough guy " hardcore, Bury Your Dead's early work deserves a look.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Toxic Narcotic vocalist Bill Damon is an old friend that I haven't seen in at least five years. I once assembled and confirmed an entire Toxic Narcotic show top to bottom in five minutes with only a few weeks' notice and drew about 250 people. You have no business booking punk rock shows if you can't handle a Toxic Narcotic/Mouth Sewn Shut/Opposition Rising lineup; it's the easiest show in the world to put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXTMEoK1C4o

Out Cold is one of my favorite Boston-area bands. I think they were technically from a suburb outside of Boston, but I don't know the area. Damn near flawless punch-yourself-in-the-face hardcore punk done the old school way. Vocalist Mark Sheehan passed away in 2010, bringing one of the best USHC bands of the previous 15 years to an end. I generally celebrate their entire catalog - all of their records are similar to one another - but Permanent Twilight World is the one I go to the most.

Stoked that you have the Freeze on the playlist; I'm a big fan of the Rabid Reaction LP. My Boston knowledge is mostly extended to the classic '80s HC bands like SSD, Jerry's Kids, Negative FX, the FU's, and the like. Didn't like any of the '90s spiky-haired street punk bands, although I do get a kick out of Who Killed Spikey Jacket? as a current band in that vein. They're really stupid and cartoonish, but they make me laugh. I think they're working the marks to an extent too.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bay Area punk playlist #4 covers 1984 to 1987. 24 songs. Some of the bands that could have been included are too obscure for YouTube uploads, which is going to become more of an issue as I present future playlists. You know, there's some good reasons why many participants in the original generation of hardcore punk claim that it was all over with by 1985. Reagan was re-elected and nobody dropped the bomb that would bring about the end of the world after all. That takes a lot of wind out of your sails when you've dedicated your lifestyle to being an all-out nihilist expecting to die within a few years. What now? Many simply succumbed to the nihilism and didn't make it past the decade's end. Most of the definitive bands had broken up or were close to it while others had changed their sound in ways that alienated their audience. Hardcore punk had become generic and less inspired. New bands opted for the metal-influenced crossover or speedcore approach with little of their own personality. Punk rock gang violence had turned LA shows into war zones while San Francisco was seemingly overrun with gorilla-sized Nazi skinheads. Bay Area punk was becoming an increasingly toxic environment to say the least. However, a new generation of young bands were breathing new life into the scene with a more lighthearted approach. They were coalescing around the Gilman Street Project, a new club in Berkeley discovered by local show promoter Kamala Parks & Victor Hayden of the Alchemy Records label and financed by Maximumrocknroll.

Bands: DRI, Rebels & Infidels, Treason, Fade to Black, Part Time Christians, Frightwig, Christ on Parade, Sacrilege BC, Clown Alley, Violent Coercion, Attitude Adjustment, Rhythm Pigs, Kwik Way, Boneless Ones, Front Line, Mr. T Experience, Basic Radio, Crimpshrine, Soup, Rabid Lassie, Victims Family, Sewer Trout, Neurosis, Operation Ivy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7Krj_tA7xQBNV3Hiey83uxX

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
Super Leather said:
Bay Area punk playlist #4 covers 1984 to 1987. 24 songs. Some of the bands that could have been included are too obscure for YouTube uploads, which is going to become more of an issue as I present future playlists. You know, there's some good reasons why many participants in the original generation of hardcore punk claim that it was all over with by 1985. Reagan was re-elected and nobody dropped the bomb that would bring about the end of the world after all. That takes a lot of wind out of your sails when you've dedicated your lifestyle to being an all-out nihilist expecting to die within a few years. What now? Many simply succumbed to the nihilism and didn't make it past the decade's end. Most of the definitive bands had broken up or were close to it while others had changed their sound in ways that alienated their audience. Hardcore punk had become generic and less inspired. New bands opted for the metal-influenced crossover or speedcore approach with little of their own personality. Punk rock gang violence had turned LA shows into war zones while San Francisco was seemingly overrun with gorilla-sized Nazi skinheads. Bay Area punk was becoming an increasingly toxic environment to say the least. However, a new generation of young bands were breathing new life into the scene with a more lighthearted approach. They were coalescing around the Gilman Street Project, a new club in Berkeley discovered by local show promoter Kamala Parks & Victor Hayden of the Alchemy Records label and financed by Maximumrocknroll.

Bands: DRI, Rebels & Infidels, Treason, Fade to Black, Part Time Christians, Frightwig, Christ on Parade, Sacrilege BC, Clown Alley, Violent Coercion, Attitude Adjustment, Rhythm Pigs, Kwik Way, Boneless Ones, Front Line, Mr. T Experience, Basic Radio, Crimpshrine, Soup, Rabid Lassie, Victims Family, Sewer Trout, Neurosis, Operation Ivy.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7Krj_tA7xQBNV3Hiey83uxX

Great stuff as always. Love the inclusions of Frightwig, Front Line, and Crimpshrine.

HarleyQuinn

Staff member
Reaction score
I've found Discogs.com to be an invaluable resource as far as finding deep bands.

Made up another playlist of mostly mid to late 1980s Punk covering some very well known names (Buzzcocks, Naked Raygun, etc.) but a lot of deep cut groups who maybe released a couple albums at most. There are also a lot of groups from the UK, Canada, and elsewhere covered in this collection. There are some pretty choice song cuts in this collection so I'm pretty proud of compiling this especially since I've never heard of like 90% of these bands but anticipate exploring several of them more.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjDJChtEALL6E3P2Heg1J85VQjm3a_lhB

Bands Covered: UBCF, Halo of Flies, Squids, Black Uniforms, The Pogues, Rank and File, Subhumans, Defectors, Anihilated, The Dead Milkmen, Naked Raygun, Soul Side, Buzzcocks, Discharge, Doggy Style, Alien Boys, A.P.P.L.E., Government Issue, Descendents, Inhuman Conditions, Corpse Grinders, Social Split, Walk Proud, Cracked Actor, Ivy Green, Flux of Pink Indians, Shrapnel, Dead End, Feisty Cadavers, Plaid Retina, Pocket Fishrmen, One Bad Pig, Toy Dolls, The Blisters, Upset Noise, Ed Gein's Car, One Way System, The Effigies, Ultraman, Malibu Kens, and Swamptrash

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
L'AZentat said:
Leather, you a Masshole?

No, I've never been there. Originally from Pittsburgh, but have never been involved in their punk scene. I've lived in the East Bay since 1988 and was deeply involved in the scene here for a long time. I don't consider myself part of what's going on currently though; I'd rather be just about anywhere else besides a firetrap warehouse jam-packed with drunken 23-year-olds with no circle pit etiquette.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bay Area punk playlist #5 covers bands who made their Gilman Street debut between 1988 and 1990. I thought that would be a fun and interesting way to compile these bands from this point forward. 31 songs. Most of these bands were made up of younger kids who weren't exactly the type to go toe-to-toe with Nazis and other assorted violent thugs that made it hard to exist at punk shows. Their sound was less angry and dissonant and more melodic and lighthearted. They weren't afraid to be awkward, silly teenagers who (heaven forbid) actually had FUN playing music together, learning in public. Some of them were tagged "geek core" and they wore the label with pride. Gilman Street allowed them the space to be themselves by almost being an anti-punk club for the time. Drug and alcohol consumption was barred from inside and around the club. Overly aggressive or violent dancing was discouraged, as was stagediving. Gangs of Nazi skins were dealt with by simply stopping the show and blocking their entry with nonviolent resistance. Although MRR bailed on Gilman Street quickly, they were involved for long enough to show people that there was another way to run a punk rock venue that was working out much better than places like the Farm in San Francisco. Some of the volunteers banded together and reopened the club under the legal name of the Alternative Music Foundation, but it would simply be known by its street address by punks across the world or just "Gilman." Lookout Records was formed to document the new scene by a rabid fan named David Hayes and Larry Livermore, an older ex-hippie welfare recipient bowled over by the young bands' energy and enthusiasm. They were a good team who released some great compilations and quite a few classics that defined the era.

Bands: Dwarves, Nasal Sex, Sweet Baby Jesus, Corrupted Morals, Isocracy, Sister Double Happiness, Stikky the Beatnigs, Cringer, Unit Pride, NOFX, the Slambodians, No Use for a Name, Yeastie Girlz, Acid Rain, Capitalist Casualties, Kamala & the Karnivores, Romper Room Rejects, the Skinflutes, Asbestos Death, Blatz, Samiam, Econochrist, Jawbreaker, Green Day, Skankin' Pickle, Monsula, Crummy Musicians, the Dread, Downfall, Filth.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7JKm6nKLCw_HeyYSAvESCds

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I was waiting for Filth. Very soft spot. Thank you for the Bay Area stuff. My brother saw so many of them during the late 80s-early 90s and had stories not suitable for young me.

Super Leather

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Bay Area punk playlist #6 covers bands making their Gilman Street debut between 1990-1992. 29 songs. These years were considered the East Bay and the club's "Wild West" era. Nazi skinheads were almost a thing of the past with some of the more notorious figures being run out of town or doing prison time. They were still a problem though and some of the local punks had enough of this shit. Changes in Gilman Street's leadership brought about a new attitude towards dealing with them. George Hated was a black anarchist skinhead (and I believe a member of the local ARA chapter) who began running Gilman and rallying people together to fight back - not just at the club, but on the streets as well. Nonviolent resistance was replaced by all-out street brawls, particularly after an infamous incident in Sacramento. One particular Gilman show was more remembered for the riot pitting the punks against a bunch of Nazis with the Berkeley police unable to do much else besides watch. East Bay punk was at its peak during these years with lots of people moving in from other towns, new bands popping up, older bands releasing great records, communal houses all over Berkeley and north Oakland, and wild parties all the time. Rent was cheap and plenty of places in the area had no problem hiring freaks with funny hair. Others got by working the welfare or SSI angles. Meanwhile, certain aspects of punk rock were becoming mainstream due to Nirvana's major label success. "Grunge" inspired a feeding frenzy in Seattle while the riot grrl movement was also making headlines in the mainstream music press. Some of these labels were eventually going to start looking at the Bay Area music scene after signing up everyone with a flannel shirt in Seattle. Interesting times were looming on the horizon.

Bands: Fuel, Brent's TV & Appliance, the Fuckboyz, Jack Acid, Fifteen, Nuisance, Krupted Peasant Farmerz, All You Can Eat, Grinch, Spitboy, Schlong, the Hellbillys, Tribe 8, Paxston Quiggly, the Insaints, Sleep, Anal Mucus, Grimple, Your Mother, Sheep Squeez, Plutocracy, 3 Finger Spread, Rancid, Johnny Peabucks & the Swingin' Utters, J Church, Pinhead Gunpowder, the Gr'ups, the Trashwomen.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvVH7k5Rcq7LNMuZBt3cUYhiLy8Vnp32Q

These were also the years where my interest in punk rock began, but I had no idea that any of this stuff was happening. I was starting out with the Sex Pistols, the Dead Kennedys, and the Sid & Nancy soundtrack as an eighth grader.