Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Kojima/Desperado match sounds like one of the stipulations you'd make if you were playing Smackdown with friends.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Live English commentary is returning for Summer Struggle in Jingu.

Does this mean travel restriction in Japan have loosened or they've figured a way for Kevin Kelly to broadcast remotely live? I know ESPN broadcasts a lot of international sports remotely from their studios in Bristol so I know it's possible but presumably p. expensive.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
tournament.png

just fold the jr tag tag division. My god that's utter shit even with the excuse of only using native talent. The Heavy division has been mostly awful too since Gedo took over (ironic given his own career) so just merge them.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
C'mon Ryuske and Master Wato!

Yeesh. Now I kind of wish they just waited until YOH recovered. That division was p. good when I got into NJPW a few years ago but they've lost p. much everybody.

Heavyweight Tag Team division I'd argue is the one division that in NJPW has gotten marginally better in 2020. Not enough that I would call it good but better than what it was. Weirdly, they did it by doing something that usually ruins tag team divisions, pairing singles guys in flux together as "superteams". Once things are back to normal, I'm actually looking forward to seeing Dangerous Tekkers against GoD and FinnJuice.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Looking at the New Japan Road cards and they're p. boring as expected but I am pumped to see Dick Togo getting in the ring for a few tag matches. He's an old dog who can actually still go.

Even with a shrunken roster, it is maddening how much they've relied on Gedo & Jado as midcard filler. They looked more washed up than the Rock N Roll Express when I went to a NJPW last year. They literally have nothing left to contribute in-ring. They're barely even good heel managers.

Also randomly getting a CHAOS EXPLODES match for Ishii/Goto/YOSHI-HASHI's first title defense in the tour finale. I wonder if we're going to get a " Okada & Toru Yano are wacky partners who can't get along" angle to further waste Okada's time.

REALLY hoping some sort of miracle happens before G1 Climax. Having a filler heavy tournament is fine for New Japan Cup is fine cause that is kind of a filler tournament but it is gonna suck if G1 has a bunch of Young Lions and part timers in it.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I sure am! That said using the same crew for the G1 would be brutal. Only way it would be acceptable is if they cut the shows back or changed the formula which they wont do.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fantastic.

@King Kamala once you watch Psychic School Wars, I'm sure you'll be ready to watch some more anime and you can dive into Tiger Mask W.

WHO IS THIS MYSTERIOUS MASKED MAN?!

tumblr_oshhxdFe8N1u1ljrzo1_500.gifv

I only watched the first 10-15 episodes (it's gotta be like 50) which sadly is before most of the NJPW guys show up but what I saw was kind of amusing. Also it will suddenly go from a kid show to dudes bleeding everywhere and having their skulls bashed into ringposts via piledrivers in ways so gruesome Abdullah the Butcher would puke.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Any G1 Predictions? Looks like lineup will he announced tomorrow.

with it doubtful that they will be able to do a full capacity Tokyo Dome Show, it would be a good year to try out a Shingo or a SHO (or even Hiromu) as a surprise dark horse challenger.

Okada/Naito rematch seems like obvious choice and safest prediction but wonder if they would want to waste on an event they can sell “only” 20k tickets to.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
have to see the lineup but hopefully SANADA wins. Okada/Naito is done to death and giving it a break especially when they can't draw properly would be smarter.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Idk if I would want SANADA in WrestleKingdom main event unless he was going to win. He already had a reputation as one of the biggest chokers in the promotion.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Good news is travel restrictions loosened to allow permanent residents back into Japan so Jay White, Ospreys, KENTA, and FinnJuice (and Jeff Cobb?) can be in the tournament.

Bad news is somehow Yujiro is somehow in it? I guess they wasted Okada on him for a semi major show so we got to pretend he is a serious wrestler for a minute.

Chris Charton pointed out on Twitter this is the first G1 Climax with no debuting competitors.

edit: also 2 out of 3 guys I mentioned as potential dark horse winners aren’t even in it. My dark horse picks are too dark, I guess!

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
As I mentioned to you on Facebook, and I'll mention it here, I'm guessing Fale can't make it so they put Yujiro in as a BC scrub.

Block A I like to call the Murder Block. There are some amazing matches there:

Suzuki vs Ibushi
Suzuki vs Cobb
Suzuki vs Okada
Suzuki vs Ishii
Suzuki vs Shingo
Shingo vs Ishii
Ishii vs Cobb
Shingo vs Okada
Shingo vs Cobb
Cobb vs Okada
Ibushi vs Okada

Hopefully this means Okada will start having great matches again. Although we are getting one more shit show against Yujiro.

Block B looks to be more of the technical block, which I'm ok with We're going to get more SANADA vs ZSJ, and that's always a good thing.

Brocklock

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have no idea what is happening in NJPW and I think he was being used as a manager and this would absolutely not make any logical sense putting a 50 something through that schedule, but part of me was hoping for old man Dick Togo to get in.

Last edited:

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He has wrestled a few times in tags on C shows but at very least he would be a vast improvement over Yujiro as a “token Bullet Club guy who is loser of the bracket”.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I'd waaaay rather have Dick in there than Yujiro but that's not the storyline sadly.

B Block is nowhere near as loaded up on great matches but it has some heavy storyline implications with Naito/Sanada/EVIL and also EVIL/KENTA and how they'll interact. also Goto/KENTA and the neverending Sabre/Tana and previously mentioned Sabre/Sanada feuds. lot of interesting things.

SANADA does have a rep (at least with english language fans) as a choker but I think other than Okada he is the only interesting option. If they just want to give the fans a big exciting match and a happy ending than having Naito get another big win over Okada would be fine. It's a real shame they couldn't get Moxley this time because that would have been the most interesting matchup.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Dunno if it's at a level where I'd post it in the MOTY/Recommend thread, but otherwise check out Keisuke Okuda vs HYO from the Dragon Gate 9/9 Korakuen show if you want to see 1998 Ken Shamrock resurrected in 2020 puro form

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
September 19th | A Block:

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Kota Ibushi
  • Shingo Takagi vs. Jay White
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Jeff Cobb vs. Taichi
  • Will Ospreay vs. Yujiro Takahashi
September 20 | B Block

• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • Zack Sabre Jr. vs. EVIL
  • Hirooki Goto vs. KENTA
  • Toru Yano vs. SANADA
  • Juice Robinson vs. YOSHI-HASHI
September 23 | A Block

• Kota Ibushi vs. Jay White
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Will Ospreay
  • Minoru Suzuki vs. Taichi
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Yujiro Takahashi
  • Jeff Cobb vs. Shingo Takagi
September 24 | B Block

• Tetsuya Naito vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • YOSHI-HASHI vs. EVIL
  • Juice Robinson vs. KENTA
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Toru Yano
  • Hirooki Goto vs. SANADA
September 27 | A Block

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Jay White
  • Will Ospreay vs. Shingo Takagi
  • Kota Ibushi vs. Tomohiro Ishii
  • Jeff Cobb vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Taichi vs. Yujiro Takahashi
September 29 | B Block

• Hirooki Goto vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • Toru Yano vs. EVIL
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Juice Robinson
  • Zack Sabre Jr. KENTA
  • YOSHI-HASHI vs. SANADA
September 30 | A Block

• Tomohiro Ishii vs. Shingo Takagi
  • Will Ospreay vs. Jay White
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi
  • Kota Ibushi vs. Jeff Cobb
  • Minoru Suzuki vs. Yujiro Takahashi
October 1 | B Block

• Tetsuya Naito vs. SANADA
  • KENTA vs. EVIL
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. YOSHI-HASHI
  • Hirooki Goto vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Juice Robinson vs. Toru Yano
October 5 | A Block

• Kota Ibushi vs. Will Ospreay
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Taichi
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Jeff Cobb vs. Jay White
  • Shingo Takagi vs. Yujiro Takahashi
October 6 | B Block

• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. KENTA
  • YOSHI-HASHI vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • Juice Robinson vs. EVIL
  • SANADA vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Hirooki Goto vs. Toru Yano
October 7 | A Block

• Kota Ibushi vs. Shingo Takagi
  • Taichi vs. Jay White
  • Will Ospreay vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Jeff Cobb
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Yujiro Takahashi
October 8 | B Block

• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. EVIL
  • Juice Robinson vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • SANADA vs. KENTA
  • Toru Yano vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • Hirooki Goto vs. YOSHI-HASHI
October 10 | A Block

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Shingo Takagi
  • Kota Ibushi vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Will Ospreay vs. Taichi
  • Jay White vs. Yujiro Takahashi
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jeff Cobb
October 11 | B Block

• Tetsuya Naito vs. EVIL
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Hirooki Goto
  • Juice Robinson vs. SANADA
  • Toru Yano vs. KENTA
  • YOSHI-HASHI vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
October 13 | A Block

• Kazuchika Okada vs. Tomohiro Ishii
  • Minoru Suzuki vs. Jay White
  • Shingo Takagi vs. Taichi
  • Kota Ibushi vs. Yujiro Takahashi
  • Will Ospreay vs. Jeff Cobb
October 14 | B Block

• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. SANADA
  • Hirooki Goto vs. EVIL
  • Toru Yano vs. Tetsuya Naito
  • Juice Robinson vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
  • YOSHI-HASHI vs. KENTA
October 16 | A Block

• Shingo Takagi vs. Minoru Suzuki
  • Tomohiro Ishii vs. Jay White
  • Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay
  • Jeff Cobb vs. Yujiro Takahashi
  • Kota Ibushi vs. Taichi
October 17 | B Block

• SANADA vs. EVIL
  • Tetsuya Naito vs. KENTA
  • Toru Yano vs. YOSHI-HASHI
  • Juice Robinson vs. Hirooki Goto
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Zack Sabre Jr.
October 18 | G1 Climax 30 final

• A Block winner vs. B Block winner
On their off nights the other blocks won't be doing tag matches on the undercard in order to help with COVID separation and the show will open with a young lion match instead. Not sure if that means the show will only have one undercard match and be shorter *which would be fine with me) or if they'll have the njpw dads also do a match.

Slayer

Reaction score
Already halfway over but I feel like the All Japan Champions Carnival has been underwhelming so far. Not helping has been Yoshitatsu (yes he's still around and actually decent now) getting injured which cut one match short and forfeited another, and Les Enfants Terribles (the faction of ex-Wrestle-1 guys) turning into Bullet Club-lite during Shotaro Ashino's matches

Also if I didn't have enough conflicting opinions about the sometimes-good-sometimes-bad Jake Lee, for reasons I dunno why he went back to using his old entrance theme "Shipping to Boston", one of my most hated songs ever

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Have NJPW, AJPW, and NOAH all ever had their heavyweight tournaments in the same month before or is this yet another weird after effect of the pandemic?

Slayer

Reaction score
Very much the latter

Without digging too in-depth, NJ's World League (G-1 precursor in the 70s/80s) seemed to bounce around the year so it may have had overlap with the CC at some point, but since 1991 the G-1 has always been July/Aug and CC has always been in March/April

The first Global League in 2010 was also in March/April and did compete with the CC that year, but after that they moved it to Oct/Nov until the N-1 rebranding (which I still hate) last year when NOAH pulled it back to September, so that's the one tourney that would have been happening right now under normal circumstances

Fake edit: Oh yeah, did forget pre-COVID that the G-1 was going to take place at this time anyways because of the Tokyo Olympics

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Kevin Kelly speculated on the last NJPW Road To show I watched that G1 will probably in September/October next year as well, assuming that the Olympics actually happen in Summer 2021.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they made the change permanent. Shortening the window from G1 to WrestleKingdom mkes things a lot more exciting IMO.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I like having it spaced out just to give me a chance to recover from all those late nights in a row and becauise a lot of people need time to catch up on it all but it would be ok.

@Slayer i finally watched the Doi/Eita title changed and thought it was pretty fun. Probably the best Eita singles I can remember.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
If they move the G1 closer to the end of the year, that also mean moving the Junior Tag League, World Tag League, and Super Junior tournaments earlier, because the G1 is usually the kickoff to their end of year tournaments to name contenders to WK. I don't mind switching it up and having the G1 as the finale of the tournaments, but I don't know if they do a permanent change.