Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
El Phantasmo said him and Taiji Ishiimori are going to take the Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Titles to STRONG.

Is it possible for something to make sense but still seem really weird? Like I get there's probably more junior tag teams available right now in the States but it's weird NJPW is taking a whole ass title to their new C show. It's sort of like when Jim Duggan found the TV Title in the trash and vowed to only defend it on WCW Saturday Night during WCWSN's dying days.

Edit- Could this lead to YBs going for one last IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Titles or does that seem way too beneath them? I feel like YBs Vs El-P and Ishiimori is a match people (outside of TSM) would enjoy.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Meh. Hiromu needed someone safe for his first match back and DOUKI is a really hard worker and is honestly underused. They could have put literally anyone in that main event with him and people would have been happy since it's Hiromu but they put someone who can actually work but at the same time it doesn't hurt any plans for him to take a loss. The matchtime is too long but that's a problem NJPW has across the board.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Full cards have been announced for the 2nd WrestleGrandSlam two night event this weekend.

Night One
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kota Ibushi for the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship
  • Kazuchika Okada vs Jeff Cobb
  • Chase Owens (c) vs Toru Yano in a No DQ “I Quit” match for the KOPW 2021 Trophy
  • SHO vs YOH
  • Flying Tiger (Robbie Eagles and Tiger Mask IV) vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Hiromu Takahashi and BUSHI)
  • Stardom Showcase match TBA

Night Two
  • Shingo Takagi (c) vs EVIL for the IWGP World Heavyweight Championship
  • Robbie Eagles (c) vs Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Championship
  • Dangerous Tekkers (c) (Zack Sabre Jr. and Taichi) vs Los Ingobernables de Japon (Tetsuya Naito and SANADA) vs CHAOS (Hirooki Goto and Yoshi-Hashi) for the IWGP Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
  • Bullet Club’s Cutest Tag Team (c) (El Phantasmo and Taiji Ishimori) vs Suzuki-Gun (El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru) for the IWGP Jr Heavyweight Tag Team Championships
  • CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and Tomohiro Ishii) vs United Empire (Great-O-Khan and Jeff Cobb)
  • Stardom Showcase match TBA

I'm kind of surprised we don't have a random clusterfuck gauntlet match (and in its place just have tag team matches featuring the participants of the semi main event of the other night).

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
these are really good cards with some match i really want to see and a few potential sleepers. SHO VS YOH is something I've wanted for ages.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think this is rare case where I'm glad they rushed a match. NJPW's has been desperate for something to generate some excitement in the midcard (especially among juniors) and SHO Vs YOH fills that void. And they could obviously do a schmozz or controversial finish to allow ROPPONGI 3K EXPLODES VOL. 2 to happen at WrestleKingdom.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Spoiler tagged because it's slightly tl;dr. From the Voices of Wrestling's Patreon's New Japan News and Notes
The creation of the new "House Of Torture" sub-unit (EVIL, SHO, Yujiro Takahashi, Dick Togo) represents the latest example of the growing Dick Togo influence in New Japan.

The idea behind the unit (which was pitched by Togo) is to continue EVIL's long term push as a top star by surrounding him with an entourage, which would lead to an eventual split from Bullet Club and subsequent feud with Jay White (who would presumably go babyface). The obvious comparison point would be The Elite's internal war with the Tongan led Bullet Club a few years ago. For now, House Of Torture will team with other Bullet Club members. House Of Torture will have a heavy presence on the G1 Climax tour, with the goal of establishing the sub-unit as a "constant presence" for EVIL's matches.

HoT members have been directed to focus on character work, storytelling, and "heat". This will be a full-on heel cheating unit, with heavy emphasis on outside interference, in the same vein as EVIL's singles bout.

The Roppongi 3K split was debated internally. Gedo was initially opposed, citing among other issues, merchandise sales. Togo was in favor, as were SHO & YOH themselves, who are eager to work singles and had been pushing for a split for a long while. Once the decision was made, Togo pitched SHO for House Of Torture and was responsible for the booking of the turn angle and the layout of the singles match at Wrestle Grand Slam. SHO's matches moving forward will feature layouts similar to EVIL bouts, with a heavy emphasis on "heat". SHO is said to not be completely sold on his new character directives and unit alignment, but is happy with the opportunity for a singles push.

Togo is not winning all of his battles. Togo pitched a short term EVIL title reign, with EVIL defeating Shingo Takagi for the IWGP World title at Wrestle Grand Slam and then losing it back quickly, in order to establish HoT as an immediate main event force, but the idea was shot down by Gedo, who feels the title needs a long, stable reign after all of the quick changes earlier in the year. In addition, Shingo continues to butt heads with Togo on match layouts. Shingo was not happy with many of the ideas for his match vs EVIL at New Japan Cup. Shingo had similar issues with today's match, but perhaps due to having more pull as champion, was able to veto some of the spots.

Regarding the G1 lineups, nothing should've come as much of a surprise for those following the situation. The last remaining puzzle piece was Aaron Henare. There had been some hope Henare would be ready in time, but it was never considered likely and plans were made at least a month ago to proceed with the idea that he wouldn't be available. Using non-NJPW outside talent to fill out the field was fan fueled speculation and never something we heard discussed internally to any serious degree.

Big takeaway is I guess Dick Togo is Gedo's #2 in creative and pushed hard for a 2nd EVIL World Title run but Gedo shot him down. I don't say this often but THANK GOD FOR GEDO!

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love dick togo with all my heart but a lot of that is shit. I don't have a problem with HoT vs BC OG and SHO turning heel was the right call but they don't need to do the super overbooked "heat" in every match especially when the fans aren't even allowed to react to anything! Gedo seems to be pushing back a bit which is good but I know he's into a lot of this shit too.

Henare in G1 from what I've seen of him would have not really interested me any more than any of the filler we got.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah, I really hadn't thought of that aspect. Memphis heel heat is not only something that might not even work in the first place in 2021 but definitely doesn't work in front of a crowd that can only make limited noise!

Also to further infuriate you, CWM RE: The G1 field. SHO is going to be beating up young lions in the token non tournament match on a lot of these shows so it's not like he couldn't have been a part of it. Idgi. I feel like even if he had to have a sub .500 record in the tourney, I think just being in the tournament and having a few impressive performances would have been a lot better than having Yujiro, Chase or GoD in there.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Well, G1 is just a few hours away and I'm hype despite it being a "down year". Anyone have any predictions? I'm sensing Ibushi becomes the first wrestler to threepeat (Yes, I know Inoki did it multiple times in days before it was called G1. Don't @ me!) As for the B block winner Idk...I will be bold and pick Jeff Cobb. Although I could be bolder and pick Taichi or Tama Tonga. Let's just hope it's not EVIL!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Last night I took my dad to his first ever live wrestling show. He’s been a fan since the 60s, but when I moved out he stopped watching. When I would take my daughter over on weekends we watch indies and NJPW. I’ve recently started getting him into AEW. GCW was in Queens last night and figured since there were no deathmatches it would be a perfect show to bring him to. He had a blast, and we got to meet The King.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
its a stable of total scum so i find it amusing tbh. I don't know a lot about what TJP has done to make people hate him beyond being a MAGA guy.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
He said something to the effect on Twitter of how he never felt like anyone he has ever worked with has been on his level and talked about how disappointed he was after wrestling Jushin Thunder Liger. For that alone, I think he deserves to die.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
its a stable of total scum so i find it amusing tbh. I don't know a lot about what TJP has done to make people hate him beyond being a MAGA guy.

I wouldn't say 2 guys in a stable of 7 is a stable of scum. Jeff Cobb is one of the greatest guys around, Henare has always said to be a hard worker, Aussie Open has never had anything bad said about them, and Khan, awful gimmick aside, doesn't have anything of a bad rep. Ospreay and TJP being there is laughable, but doesn't make the rest of the stable shit.

Also, TJP has a history of messaging underage girls to hook up with them, as well as hitting on them at shows. He's just an all around piece of shit.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
i has no idea who aussie open are or they were part of the stable. I didn't know Henare was either. OKhan isn't a POS himself but it's a racist gimmick so I was counting that.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
i has no idea who aussie open are or they were part of the stable. I didn't know Henare was either. OKhan isn't a POS himself but it's a racist gimmick so I was counting that.

Aussie Open are a really, really good tag team. They faced GOD a couple years ago (maybe last year?) a few times. They're mainly a RevPro mainstay, but they came over to NJPW a couple times. They were just added a week or 2 ago when Ospreay was back in RevPro.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Aussie Open did a big US tour during WrestleMania 35 weekend and seemed poised to be a breakout tag team of the 2020s but COVID put a damper on that. Also I feel like one of them suffered an injury in late 2019/early 2020 cause they have zero matches for the year.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Aussie Open did a big US tour during WrestleMania 35 weekend and seemed poised to be a breakout tag team of the 2020s but COVID put a damper on that. Also I feel like one of them suffered an injury in late 2019/early 2020 cause they have zero matches for the year.

Yeah, one of them was injured. I believe it was Mark Davis. Kyle Fletcher had some really good singles matches.

Also, Henare was added last year some time. He was doing a story about being upset about losing so much and teasing going home. Then he came out looking like The Terminator with the long coat and sunglasses.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
vzse8j8r31t71.jpg

Logo for WrestleKingdom 16.