Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Great detailed breakdown of G1.

You fellas have any predictions? I have Jay White-Taichi in A Block Finals and SANADA-Naito in the B Block Finals. A heel Vs heel and face Vs face matches in the block finals? Wacky predictions for a year.

I have a Jay White-SANADA Final with Jay White winning and playing up the "I beat the guy who beat Naito" angle.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
lol Okada. Too focused on going for the sub and didn't even go for the Rainmaker at all. I'd call that a upset and a really good ending to the night. I enjoyed everything on the show. Taichi going over so strong was also interesting and made me smile.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
I know right now the main focus is the G1 but wanted to give a shout to Dragon Gate Dangerous Gate event, which for some reason is being held on a Monday night so it will be overnight Sun/Mon stateside, so I dunno if I'll be watching the whole event live though I'll try. This will be the first real A-show of the year (Memorial Gate last month was essentially an A.5 show) so would serve as a jumping in point for anyone either curious or casually following the fed, as I believe @CWM and I are the only ones who follow with any regularity (if anyone else does, speak up please!). The event will be available with Japanese or English commentary (most likely DG Jae and Larry Dallas).

Full card available here from the official DG site, with standout matches including Kzy/Doi (rematch of their Dream Gate match from earlier this year), Twin Gate and the main event which is a six man cage match that DG would normally hold at Dead or Alive in early May

For those who don't regularly follow DG, two general points to establish going in:

1) Faction warfare is of course one of the main foundations of DG, and currently there are three main factions feuding: Toryumon Gen (older guys who trained directly under Ultimo in the old fed), Dragon Gate Gen (younger guys who trained under the DG banner, plus some outsiders like Kai, Keisuke Okuda and Jason Lee) and RED (heel faction independent of generations, led by the current DG champion Eita).

2) The standard DOA cage match would have all six wrestlers in the ring to start, with five flags posted around the top of the cage. Removing a flag from its post counts as an "escape" and that wrestler is done, with the final wrestler left failing to capture a flag declared the overall match loser. The loser then faces some type of punishment as established before the match, typically loss of hair/mask or ejection from their current faction.

Each year DG changes up some aspects of the match to make it interesting and unique compared to prior years, hence their two major changes for this year will be:

1) Instead of all six men in the ring to begin, two will start while the rest enter at timed intervals Elimination Chamber-style, with entry order publicly established thru matches from the last month. Opposite of the EC though, earlier entry is better than later as it allows more chances to escape. To compensate for the staggered entries, only one escape flag will be available to start with an additional flag posted as each new participant enters.

2) Instead of one overall penalty for whoever loses, this year each individual has their own specific punishment in place if they should lose the match, as chosen by rival factions over the last month. Some wrestlers also have additional stips based on their match performance; all of those stips are listed on the official event page posted earlier.

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Naito and Tanahashi really turned back the clocks today. What a tremendous match. So damn good.

Frankly, there hasn't been a bad match so far in the first 2 nights. Everything ranges from good to fantastic. Even YOSHI-HASHI vs Juice was good. I don't think that will hold up as guys get tired and Yujiro faces people other than Ospreay, but it's nice for the first 2 nights. I enjoyed Yano vs SANADA, as Yano matches usually tend to be fun, and break up the ultra serious tournament.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
Watching Champion Carnival live as appetizer for DG, in one of the filler tag matches YoshiTatsu brought in a mystery partner who turned out to be... Mens Teioh. Dunno if it was a one-off or if Teioh will be hanging around but he didn't look bad considering his age and such (hadn't seen him in awhile)

Now if Taka ever comes back from exile we can complete a sufficient Kai En Tai comeback in 2020

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TAICHI! TAICHI! TAICHI! ALL BOW TO YOUR LORD!

Had a hard time not audibling clapping when Taichi won lol. MiSu put him over strong too. Loved him staggering away. Really great win there and I can't wait for the title match. I hope what happens is Suzukigun decides that MiSu has gotten soft and turns on him and becomes TAICHIGUN!! Then you can get all kinds of fun shit with MiSu on the war path going after them and having to reluctantly team up with Tanahashi, Goto, Ishii, Okada, and all the others he's feuded with. It's a license to print money.

Cobb beating Shingo was surprising on one hand but I assume they want to keep Cobb strong as he's one of the tip top guys for NJPW USA. Shingo also went from being a big fish in DG to a small fish in NJPW and people are going to have to accept it. He's a smaller Hirooki Goto in a lot of ways, and I mean that as a compliment.

No real thoughts about Okada/Yujiro aside from being glad it was clean and Okada beat him to hopefully end it forever.

Ishii/Ospreay was good but I really hate Ospreay's forearms/slaps and Ishii having to sell like Ospreay could bull him around was a lot for me. His big offensive array of spinny junk doesn't do it for me. He literally picked up Ishii and dropped him on his head for a 2 count and then finishes him with a move that's basically just Ishii doing a spin in the air.

Jay/Ibushi was MOTN although not as enjoyable to me as seeing Taichi win. Jay is such a fantastic heel. watching him taunt the fans about not being able to do anything but clap was hilarious. I thought it was a pace off a MOTYC but still a lot of fun.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I just don't get the hate that Jay gets. He's not everyone's cup of tea, I get that, but he's one of the best heels in the game (I have him at #2 behind only Rickey Shane Page). He does all the little things so damn well. The taunting was just a brilliant point.

The thing that annoys me the most about the hate he gets is from Bullet Club fans talking about all the interference in his matches. You can tell these are fans who only watched thanks to the members of The Elite, especially when they were more over as faces. Bullet Club has always interfered. The low blows are very much excessive at this point, and I'd like to see them come up with other ways to be underhanded, but they're a heel group.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
yeah who still hates Jay? I know people didn't like him at first when he got the big push but I thought everyone was on board now. Of course I refuse to read most other places because they are terrible but the few places I read (mostly by accident) all love him even more than this board does.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
People dislike Jay White? Dreadful.

I've seen many people talk about how he a bad wrestler (which is just wrong), or that he's a bad heel, the worst leader of BC, etc. He looked awkward when he first came back, but once he got paired up with Gedo he really came into his own. Like I mentioned, the little things he does are just next level compared to everyone else. Dropping down when someone goes for their finisher, the taunting the crowd today, etc.

I think it goes back to what I mentioned about people only following NJPW or BC during The Elite era and not knowing what BC really was before that. He fits in perfectly with that.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Omega and the Bucks were the worst leaders of BC and I'm not just saying that as someone who doesn't like them. They never really fit the vibre of the unit compared to all the others. Devitt/Anderson and AJ were both really good and AJ was the best foreign "Ace" the company has had in the modern age as the total package, name value/look/inring/etc.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Omega and the Bucks were the worst leaders of BC and I'm not just saying that as someone who doesn't like them. They never really fit the vibre of the unit compared to all the others. Devitt/Anderson and AJ were both really good and AJ was the best foreign "Ace" the company has had in the modern age as the total package, name value/look/inring/etc.

I'm a fan of Kenny and the Bucks, but agreed. I though their split before they left was interesting and could have been even bigger. Them, Cody, Page, Marty leaving BC and becoming a big face group could have been great for NJPW coming to the US. But yeah, those 3 just didn't fit. Kenny at first, fit, especially as a Junior, but after that he slowly became less BC.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I almost started a new "LOGIC BE DAMNED" Fantasy Booking thread to say I wanted to see Toru Yano being alive on the last day of the G1 Tournament. Not ACTUALLY win it or even be in finals but just the announcers being like "OMG IS YANO GOING TO WIN!?" before he blows his last tourney match. Now he's won his first three matches. :eek:

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, is Meij the one that the Elite had/have beef with or is that still Gedo and all them? I just wonder how this effects any future AEW/NJPW business..

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
So, is Meij the one that the Elite had/have beef with or is that still Gedo and all them? I just wonder how this effects any future AEW/NJPW business..

He was the big on blocking it, along with The Bucks. Alvarez quickly went over this on WOL but said that there isn't enough info yet about it. It could open the door, but I wouldn't be singing a happy tune just yet. The pandemic is going to make sure that guys aren't going back and forth for the time being, unless it's for an extended period.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
he's the one they made up a bunch of bullshit about and got meltzer to repeat. I don't see it having any significant effect in the near term.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
New Japan doesn't need them. They have the ability to use the guys from AEW they want to use in Japan like Moxley. In the US the can run the NJPW US company on a small scale which is all they really need to be doing for the next year or two while the economy tries to recover from COVID. There is no way to know what things will look like after all of it.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
There's talent in AEW I'd like to see over in NJPW, especially in the tag division. Both NJPW tag divisions are awful, but bring in Lucha Brothers, FTR, Private Party, etc., and they could have some good matches. The Bucks and Omega did everything they could over there. Only thing that might be of interest is a rematch between Kenny and Kota, but I'm fine with none of them working NJPW again. I enjoyed the product just as much, if not more, after they left. NJPW didn't miss a beat as far as quality matches were concerned.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm 3 or 4 shows behind since I'm following on English commentary (though given regime change, I might have to learn how to appreciate puroresu the traditional way like CWM!) but I have to say Ibushi-Ishii is hands down my favorite match so far. Great story of the hotshot striving to be the new TOP GUY outgunning the tough as nails, old gunfighter.

You know what I love about Ishii? He's like Haku if Haku was actually a great worker (don't tell Haku, I said that). It's same vibe. It doesn't matter the win-loss record (and Ishii's is mediocre at best as Haku's was during his career), he's going to seem like a tough sonuvabitch for even a main event talent to overcome.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think there's any chance at all of NJPW backing away from the outreach to english language fans. They make up a very significant portion of NJPW World subscribers and NJPW has very clearly noticed how many foreign fans have started flying in for the big shows (prevcovid obvs) as you can tell by the hilarious videos they started doing telling fans to behave themselves they never needed before. (PLEASE STAY SEATED)

Harold was very important but at the end of the day NJPW is owned by a larger company and they also want this. BUSHIROAD has invested heavily in NJPW stuff and making them bigger internationally really benefits them. That said I would expect that you won't be seeing major shows internationally at the pace they were happening for some time and a much reduced gaijin presence for an extended period but that's really just common sense.

cobainwasmurdered

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a show and a half behind although i know the results. Shit has been hectic around here but I'm slowly catching up. It's been a very enjoyable G1 especially taking into consideration how they had to rebook things and leave out a lot of guys they'd probably have liked to use. YOSHIHASHI has really proven himself this year (although his beating SANADA left a bad taste in my mouth and also didn't seem well-received by the fans in the building).

Ishii is a joy. Every time I see him do his walk I smile. The man walks like he thinks he can walk through a brick wall.