Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Puroresu Love & Resources V3

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am really digging it so far through 5 shows. It feels like anyone can beat anyone. Even Yujiro is probably going to get a cheap win or two.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'm a show and a half behind although i know the results. Shit has been hectic around here but I'm slowly catching up. It's been a very enjoyable G1 especially taking into consideration how they had to rebook things and leave out a lot of guys they'd probably have liked to use. YOSHIHASHI has really proven himself this year (although his beating SANADA left a bad taste in my mouth and also didn't seem well-received by the fans in the building).

Ishii is a joy. Every time I see him do his walk I smile. The man walks like he thinks he can walk through a brick wall.

Just wait until you get to yesterday's show with YOSHI-HASHI vs Tanahashi. That match was really, really good. YOSHI has had a fantastic tournament so far. B Block is set up perfectly for him in the sense that he can work a more technical style, which he's very good at. He's working with guys who are dripping with charisma; Juice, Tana, Naito, Yano, even EVIL and KENTA have very good charisma. YOSHI doesn't have a lot of it, but he can let the others do that work.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
BBBD knows my apathy to YOSHI-HASHI but his match with EVIL was actually pretty good because he actually showed some fire (and hit EVIL with the dumb giant stick he carries to the ring). He usually comes across as such a sad sap. Like serious '80s/'90s WWF jobber energy but this G1 has put a pep in his step.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
BBBD knows my apathy to YOSHI-HASHI but his match with EVIL was actually pretty good because he actually showed some fire (and hit EVIL with the dumb giant stick he carries to the ring). He usually comes across as such a sad sap. Like serious '80s/'90s WWF jobber energy but this G1 has put a pep in his step.

That was my pick for match of the night. I was close to choosing YASHI vs Tana for Night 8, but went with the main event of Naito vs SANADA instead.

Last year they were starting a story of Tana wanting to take YOSHI under his wing, and take him away from Chaos. Since that started, YOSHI has started to show a little something extra. They went back to that during Night 8's match, and I wonder if Tana has been working with him behind the scenes.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
because you've complained about how njpw always has the g1 in a dead heat with everyone tied to me multiple times.

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
yes I was being oblique, I did see the twitter post before yours

well that and you probably did do something to make me grumble in the meantime and I just haven't found about it yet

Slayer

I have no lies or truth in what I say
Reaction score
As for the tournament itself, yes it's great, I don't need to heap any more on the copious pile on the love so far.

Regardless, it still all kinda runs together for me at this point to where I feel like I want something different out of my G1, I just can't really put it into words ATM. That being said, at least it hasn't fallen into disaster territory the way the CC did

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching 9-29 now. YOSHI-HASHI going over SANADA is RANDOM. It seems like they are blatantly telegraphing SANADA tearing through rest of the tournament undefeated by having him lose to the saddest sack in NJPW. At least, that's what I'm hoping since I picked SANADA to win this block. :eek:

Also two really good YOSHI-HASHI matches in a row. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN 2020!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Best of Super Juniors and World Tag League are still happening and they will be combined into one tour.

Who the hell will be available for World Tag League!?

Each tournament will alternate nights during the tour except for the opening night and the last two nights, where matches (and finals) from both tournaments will happen

Last edited:

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
I'd love to see some of the talent come over from NJPW Strong for the BOSJ. There is some really good talent there.

Tag League? Unless they bring in teams, there are only like 4 teams, not including Junior teams. And that's a generous number.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
World Tag League always has a lot of young lions, Dads, and makeshift teams even in *normal* years. I shudder to think what it'll be like during the current climate. There's only three young lions rn! Are you going to do more makeshift tag teams and risk ruining WrestleKingdom by having someone get injured in a dumb C show tag team match? Like BBBD said, there are only four heavyweight tag teams right now under ideal circumstances!

I'm pumped for BOSJ though. That should be great even during current circumstances.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
im so behind but I will give credit where credit is due. Ishii/Ospreay was fantastic. Was letdown by MiSu/Okada which I never ever thought I'd ay about those two. I realize that it happened because of the story Okada is telling and I accept that but god damn it I better get a makeup match.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm even more behind than you are. Halfway through 10/5. Is it official to say Okada is in a slump? Maybe there will be a storyline payoff (I mean YOSHI-HASHI is having a great tourney) but he has been so lethargic since NJPW has returned.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
it's like Balloon Okada when he lost the title last time. He gets depressed when he doesn't have the belt and tries to find ways to re-invent or challenge himself. He is so arrogant that he thinks he doesn't need to use the Rainmaker to beat guys, so he's intentionally handicapping himself to prove he can still be the best his own way. Eventually he'll get the shit slapped outta him and realize he's gotta step up and be the MAIN.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Eventually he'll get the shit slapped outta him and realize he's gotta step up and be the MAIN.
IDK if SUZUKI couldn't do that, I don't know who could.

This comment might be more architecture based than wrestling based but one thing I love about G1 is seeing all of the unique, different venues. Layout of American sports arenas for past 50 years or so is very same-y. There's very little to distinguish say the Wells Fargo Center in Philly and the TD Garden in Boston but every venue in NJPW looks different. There was one venue they ran for one of the Road To shows that literally looked like they set up a wrestling ring in an airport terminal. It almost makes me think that the courses in Super Mario Kart are based on actual Japanese racing courses.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Maybe some NJPW purists are going to poopoo this but as someone whose markdom peaked in 1998, I am really looking forward to the BULLET CLUB CIVIL WAR storyline.

I'm very interested to see where it goes.

As a side note, Jay won't be there during the Tag League/BOSJ tour. He's coming to the US. I know this because in November my local wrestling store is having him in for a M&G, and I'll be adding him to my IWGP belt.

I wonder if he's coming in to do work with NJPW US since he's not in a tag team, and not a Junior.

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
I mean we've kind of seen the BC Civil War storyline several times now in the units lifespan. They make the nWo look like one big happy family. This version of the feud looks more interesting but I'm well past having any interest in BC (some of the wrestlers yes). I'm not really invested in any of the NJPW stables anymore even LIJ. That's why I always liked how Dragon Gate would keep things fresh by switching alliances up. It kept everything super fresh. NJPW has borrowed so much from them in recent years I wish they'd do that too.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Yeah I know they did The Elite but that felt more like a spin-off than this. It seems like they aren’t attempting to turn anyone face and it is just gonna be a three way heel off between Jay White & Gedo, EVIL & Dick Togo and KENTA as wild card loose cannon. I love a heel-heel feud and they are rarely done.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching 10/11 and I was hoping that Toru Yano was going to stay taped to the entrance ramp for the rest of the show and all of the other wrestlers would just have to awkwardly brush by him.

Thing I love about Yano matches is even the most serious heels play it straight against him. Too much in American comedy wrestling, straight men play it way over the top and look like goofs.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Watching 10/11 and I was hoping that Toru Yano was going to stay taped to the entrance ramp for the rest of the show and all of the other wrestlers would just have to awkwardly brush by him.

Thing I love about Yano matches is even the most serious heels play it straight against him. Too much in American comedy wrestling, straight men play it way over the top and look like goofs.

That's what's great about 90% of the people who face Orange Cassidy. I've been to 2 shows where the otehr wrestler played it for comedy, against Kikutaro who is a comedy wrestling legend and that ended up being a great match, and Matt Striker. That was 20 minutes too long and was the drizzling shits.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Trying to avoid spoilers since I'm two shows behind but I did see that
Will Ospreay turned heel (and was joined by Bea Priestly and Great-O-Kharn). Which, personal feelings on him being a garbage human aside (although it might be reason they did pull trigger on heel turn), is a very smart creative decision. He just seems like such a natural, smug, doofy arrogant heel.
(spoiler tagging because @cobainwasmurdered may still be a few shows behind as well and I don't want to get banned)

cobainwasmurdered

Staff member
Reaction score
im way behind but I'm keeping on results (if I don't catch up on time I'm going to watch the finals live and catch up otherwise when I can) and I agree the decision was very smart. Exactly the kind of thing I've been asking NJPW to do. Now keep doing more of it!