Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Are you guys sure that I can't just create .iso files out of my Civ4 discs, and then mount them on my new computer?

muzzington

Queen Elizabeth Look-alike
Reaction score
Are you guys sure that I can't just create .iso files out of my Civ4 discs, and then mount them on my new computer?
The universe must be telling you something because the Civilization IV Complete Edition is now 75% off on Steam which is $7.48 (AU) for me.

This includes the base game, expansions and also the Civ IV version of Colonization.

Offer lasts until October 8.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Alright computer types, I got one for you (and it is not related to the outage the news is reporting). I wanted to listen to Apple Music while reading, so I opened the app on my Airbook and it kept thinking about playing a song and my entire internet access was killed on Chrome, Safari, and any internet needy app. I went through 30 minutes of troubleshooting via google search on my tablet and it started working, finally. Trying to figure out what happened, and everything seemed to be working again, I opened Apple Music, again. As soon as I pressed "play" on a song, the app froze and my internet was inaccessible for over an hour. Even the prior troubleshooting did not work and it only seemed to resolve via its on decision.

During both troubleshooting sessions, when I was in the process of rebooting and going into safe mode, the computer was lagging badly and my fan was really loud as if I had a bunch of needless apps running. Activity monitor showed CVMServer eating up to 40% of my usage.

Once I was back online, I went back to my report I had open in Word. I copied and pasted the word document into my gmail, and for some even stranger reason, it is pasting as a .PNG and not text.

This is NOT a good time for the internet and computer in general to be a total snot show.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Finally figured out the issue to my mouse cursor randomly moving on its own (usually to the upper right corner, even without touching the mouse) and it turns out I had to disable the 'Pen' tool thing under Device Manager - Human Interface Devices. Took me a year+ to find that solution somewhere!

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
And because it's a DS game with post weight loss Penn on the cover. I feel like that happened well into the 3DS era.

I'd have been all over Desert Bus if they'd have put it up on the 3ds eshop though.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
Instagram has finally allowed you to share pictures/videos directly from your computer rather than needing your phone, etc. Great news for guys like me, @SFH and others who share a lot of pics.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I just discovered it this morning. I had figured out a workaround with Safari, tricking it into thinking my laptop was my phone, but this is much easier. Now if work would stop distracting me.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have an NES, Atari (not heavy), and Spare PS2 slim (black) that I'm not using. With my wife finally becoming a gamer in 2019, she's played every single Zelda game except the one on Wii U b/c I didn't buy that system.

Found a guy in the local gaming group that will make that trade with me, my three unused systems for his Wii U with several games downloaded AND for $20 he's throwing in the Zelda game. I checked with an independent retro gaming vendor here and he thinks it's an even enough trade especially with the context it's to help/surprise a new-ish gamer who has been attending the shows with me locally and working at my tables. So giggity. $20 and trading 3 systems I'm into $0. The NES was a gift, the PS2 was in a box of things I bought and already sold most of it for profit. The Atari has been sitting in my room for 4 years since I bought it at an estate sale with several other items I've already flipped for profit, so anything for the Atari is bonus. So realistically, I'm spending $20, clearing space, and getting Mrs SFH to check one more game off her list.

Broward83

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My Internet-fu has failed me: someone please explain this reddit kerfuffle to me like I'm 5?
I think you're referring to the blackout or numerous sub-reddits going dark?

Yeah, Reddit is gonna be charging for use of their API, so 3rd party programs that let you access Reddit without having to use their official app are going to have to potentially pay well over 7 figures a year to keep having access to Reddit.

So a whole host of subs are going dark for 24 to 48 hours. Going dark on Reddit means the subreddit goes private and inaccessible for a period of time by the public.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
I just learned a few hours ago that there are over three hundred subs with 1m+ members, and 38 subs with 10m+ members, and I don't know whether that indicates that I'm using that hell site all the way wrong, or all the way right? The biggest sub I'm subscribed to has 59K members, and they've given no indication that they intend to stand in solidarity with this blackout.

If it weren't for the fact that the second-biggest sub I'm a member of is supporting this, I'm not sure I would have even heard of it.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Me: Why does that computer have a DOS screen up?

Dude Bro coworker: What's a DOS screen?

Me: *exacerbated sigh* ummmm it predates Windows. (I blanked on "disk operating system" explanation because I'm under a lot of stress)