Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

DrVenkman PhD

You don't know me and you don't have to know me
Reaction score
Retro City Rampage is reference overload. Like, more than I thought it could possibly be even based on the description. For example:

BundysWeddingChapel.jpg

Angle-plex

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So that new Aliens game that comes out doesn't look very good.

Mattdotcom

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Warner Bros. had a conference call and casually announced a new Batman Arkham game is coming out this year, but it isn't being developed by Rocksteady.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So I bought an Insignia 55" LED TV Saturday. It's 120hz and this is the first time I've ever had a TV with the motion smoothing effect.

I'm not sure i like it. Do you guys turn it off on your TV's?

I mean it's cool when someone's walking and the background smooth's out and it seems like the camera is tracking them. But, when there's a lot of action (or a car driving) it's really weird because to me it makes the car look like it's on a green screen or on a rail since it's smoothing it out and getting rid of the motion blur.

It kind of takes away the cinematic feel. It sometimes looks like I'm watching a behind the scenes type show instead of the actual movie.

It's also kind of cool because when playing Assassin's Creed there was no blur and it almost looked like a commercial or something like that.

The settings are off, low, medium, high and 24 fps. I have it on medium, but my friend said I should change it to off or 24 fps. Anyone else experience this?

I've also noticed it has no effect at all on sports.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I always have it off. I hate that shit.. Makes everything look like the BBC production of HHGTTG.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
It makes me feel like I'm on set with the actors, so I like it and leave it on.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
I leave mine on too. I like my TV/Movies/Games as smooth as possible.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I get what they are trying to do here - too bad it's completely false. Someone must have confused anime with videogames. http://kotaku.com/5984016/pro+games-talking-point-calls-japan-the-home-of-violent-games-but-is-that-really-any-better

"So now there's this desire to say, 'Oh, it's because of violent video games.' Well, Japan has the most violent video games in the world, and they have a very low homicide rate."

The Japanese have stricter regulations on violence in video games via their ratings board CERO (which is MUCH more strict than the ESRB). Specifically "excessive bleeding, dismemberment, thematically or conceptually unnecessary mass murder" among other things are prohibited. http://www.cero.gr.jp/regulation.pdf

Games like Resident Evil and No More Heroes are censored to high hell in Japan.

Edwin

Integral Poster
Reaction score
ブランカ said:
I always have it off. I hate that shit.. Makes everything look like the BBC production of HHGTTG.
Yeah, it's terrible. I haven't tried it with games.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I finished some games lately that I enjoyed a lot. The new Hitman game was great. Far Cry 3 was pretty great. And I enjoyed Halo 4 a lot more than I thought I would. That Hitman game seems to be on sale everywhere often...I'd recommend it.

tekcop

TSM's Finest
Staff member
Reaction score
ブランカ said:
Games like Resident Evil and No More Heroes are censored to high hell in Japan.
TV, even cable, is really censored, too. I was amazed to find out that even the Blu-ray release of The Walking Dead in Japan was highly censored.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So, with the PS4 to be unveiled on Wednesday, I think now is the right time to make wild guesses about what you think the "killer" launch title for each of the next gen systems will be. My guesses?
PS4 - Infamous 3 since Sony seems to be determined to push that as a mega franchise
Xbox whatever - Microsoft gives Activision a shitton of money and gets exclusive (or a timed exclusive at least) up-rezzed version of this year's COD game.

Haws Bah Gawd

TRTSM's Color Commentator
Reaction score
Truly a shame. My friend and I were playing RB3 this past weekend. While digging through the store we found "St. Elmo's Fire", and rocked that out many many times in a row.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Nymyzys said:
Truly a shame. My friend and I were playing RB3 this past weekend. While digging through the store we found "St. Elmo's Fire", and rocked that out many many times in a row.

Holy shit, St. Elmo's Fire? Damn, I'm going to have to go through and see what I've missed.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Thread title suggestions for the new Sony, Nintendo & Microsoft catch-all threads? We're on the second versions of each so if anyone has any ideas that are still descriptive of what the thread is about, post them here. :)

Golgo

Golgo
Reaction score
Super Nintendo Chatter.

You know, might as well say it now, but I've always thought maybe we should have separate threads for Gaming and Tech. I've always thought it out of place when someone would pop in with a phone question or something in what's predominantly a game thread, but maybe it's just me. Though there isn't a whole lot of tech talk, either, so maybe I can't justify this.

It might also be helpful to direct people to the Metal Gear Thread, the Final Fantasy Thread, etc. in the first post. But maybe it isn't needed since we're a small community and most who come here know about the separate threads anyway.

Also, we should move those last few posts from the old Wrestling Games thread to the new one, starting from Fazzle's link. It seems like a better point for separation.

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Wii dU 360 flips for our Sony... is kind of stupid. Stupider than "General Nintendony 360 Thread".

Microsoft / Nintendo / Sony Thread 2013
The Triforce of the Gaming Industry.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
DrVenkman said:
Wii dU 360 flips for our Sony... is kind of stupid. Stupider than "General Nintendony 360 Thread".

Microsoft / Nintendo / Sony Thread 2013
The Triforce of the Gaming Industry.
I'm talking about titles for the separate Sony, Nintendo & MS threads. Not an all-in-one. :p

DrVenkman PhD

Reaction score
Oh, I thought maybe it dawned on people that multi-platform download games seem to get lodged in console specific threads to the confusion of some people... but this works too.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That does happen a lot.. but usually when it does, it's people playing it on the same console discussing it. That being said, I like to take the NEOGAF approach of starting threads. If you want to talk about a game or a game series.. start a new thread about it and label it the official thread. We can always spin stuff off of the console-specific threads, but the community needs to be diligent in doing so as well.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
So..I went and added to my bad games collection today. I tried to even things out a bit by buying an actual good game in Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts, but I also picked up:

Stuntman Ignition
NFL Head Coach 09
Legendary
Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
and perhaps the new crown jewel of my bad games collection.........Sonic the Hedgehog 06! It'll take alot to surpass Jumper Griffin's Story, but I think this game might just have what it takes.

fazzle

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I actually have 0 idea what Legendary is. It just looked awful so I picked it up.