Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
http://kotaku.com/5990997/coders-discover-20+minute-offline-timeout-in-simcity

he code is here. "Simply commenting out Line #22 defeats the force disconnect," says the person who posted it. The removal allows offline play indefinitely.[\quote]

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I have interest in it but am in a wait and see spot.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:

Well, went ahead and bought it and played for a few hours today. It's actually pretty fun. The Xbox server wasn't too crowded, there were enough people that you could get help if you got in trouble, but not too many that you're tripping over people. Plus loot drops for each player who helped in the kill, so you're not fighting over drops. The weapons and shooting seem to work well, and the abilities are fun without being out of balance (I picked the cloak, it helps when you get in over your head). I hope the show is good and sticks around, I'm curious as to how the show affects the game and vice versa,

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think I'm going to end up picking it up tomorrow maybe.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The games usually aren't, but sometimes in rare cases they are. Sony has left it up to the publishers to decide. I hope they keep that going with the PS4.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conspiracy_Victim said:
bps21 said:

Well, went ahead and bought it and played for a few hours today. It's actually pretty fun. The Xbox server wasn't too crowded, there were enough people that you could get help if you got in trouble, but not too many that you're tripping over people. Plus loot drops for each player who helped in the kill, so you're not fighting over drops. The weapons and shooting seem to work well, and the abilities are fun without being out of balance (I picked the cloak, it helps when you get in over your head). I hope the show is good and sticks around, I'm curious as to how the show affects the game and vice versa,

I really enjoyed the time I got to put into it today. Getting to those Ark falls and killing giant things with other people is super fun.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
bps21 said:
Conspiracy_Victim said:
bps21 said:

I really enjoyed the time I got to put into it today. Getting to those Ark falls and killing giant things with other people is super fun.

Yeah the Ark falls are fun, although that's the only real time it starts to chug. Hit me up if you ever need some assistance.

bps21

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I played it for another long stretch yesterday. I'm really enjoying it. I did the episode missions that have the characters from the TV show joining you and those were really great. Then I did the first co-op map you unlock and it was awesome. I'm through act 1 but have been taking my time doing all the side missions and arkfalls I find and completed all the pursuits in that first area before moving on. If I didn't have to go to work right now I'd probably be playing all day...it's hard to put down. And I haven't had one problem with servers or anything which is great. The framerate did go to hell once but there were dozens of people and cars riding around doing an Ark Fall and it didn't last long so it's understandable.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Conspiracy_Victim said:
bps21 said:

Are you still enjoying this? I wasn't interested at first, but after watching a bunch of videos on the PS3 version I'm thinking of diving into it. I've got a bunch of games I want to unload as trade-in's so I can probably get it for free.

Conspiracy_Victim

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Tiger Style said:
Conspiracy_Victim said:
bps21 said:

Are you still enjoying this? I wasn't interested at first, but after watching a bunch of videos on the PS3 version I'm thinking of diving into it. I've got a bunch of games I want to unload as trade-in's so I can probably get it for free.

Yeah I play it whenever I can (which is less than I like). To be honest, there are a few drawbacks. Textures and graphics overall are a bit muddy, esp. on the 360. Quests are mainly limited to "go here, collect this/kill this". The random instances that pop up have a tendency to pop up where you least want them to (right in the middle of a quest area, for instance). The enemy selection is a bit limited and enemy AI leaves something to be desired. The weapons so far haven't dramatically improved over the stuff I could get from the beginning (as a matter of fact, I still use an assault rifle I found early in my game). That being said, I still like it a LOT. Arkfalls are still fun, it's quite a sight when you have 40 players blasting away at a 100 foot tall bug. Weapons selection is pretty varied (there's like a dozen different classes of weapons, and each weapon has different characteristics, like a dumbed down Borderlands system). Mainly what I like is that for a MMPOG, you don't HAVE to team up if you don't want to. I don't really co-op, but if I run in to someone else doing the same quest I am, we can both do it together as an impromptu team up and reap the benefits. The enemies will get more HPs, but the number of baddies doesn't seem to change, and loot drops for each person, so you don't have to fight over that rare gun that may have dropped off of a kill. The starting powers are still good to use and don't seem gimmicky (I'm still using Cloak, which makes you invisible and instantly recharges your shield). All in all, when combined with the promised DLC (I sprung for the season pass, they are guaranteeing at least 5 [I think] DLCs) it should be able to provide entertainment for quite a while, even if the show flops.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the new Star Trek video game is off to a roaring start. In addition to being buggy apparently, online co-op in the PC version didn't work (don't know if it does yet) when the game launched. The Steam forums were full of people asking if anyone else got it to work, and it was broken for everyone, except one guy who said that it worked fine for him and 'the game uses Steam servers.' Seems like an odd ending comment, and then someone noticed that the guy had over 100 hours of playtime in a game that came out Tuesday, and unlocked achievements back in January. Oh hi developer! Even better using his Steam info they found his LinkedIn profile and the guy is the senior producer on the game. Then just to keep the fun rolling the official twitter account acknowledges there are problems, but continually states that the problems affect only a small fraction of users, despite the fact no one not associated with the game has been able to get the online co-op working yet. The twitter also tweeted a link to the Metacritic page saying users were chiming in and you should to, at a time when there were 4 reviews, all high scores, and clearly posted by the company.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
The only Star Trek game I've played that I liked was Birth of the Federation which was a PC turn-based strategy game. Everything else I tried was pretty bad. I haven't played any of the newer games though.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Elite Forces is pretty awesome. I still need to get around to trying the sequel.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
So yesterday I ordered UFC Undisputed 3 on Amazon for $17 since I thought that was pretty cheap, but today Best Buy has it on sale for $7.99 because of course it would.

oldskool

oldskool
Reaction score
I would buy it for $8 but there isn't one within a 50 mile radius of my house and apparently they won't ship it.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/02/keyboard-cat-sues-warner-bros

Charles Schmidt (the genius mind behind the Keyboard Cat meme), and Christopher Orlando Torres (the wizard who gave birth to the Nyan Cat meme) are both suing developer 5th Cell and publisher Warner Bros. for including animated versions of the cats in various Scribblenauts games. Yes, this is a real life lawsuit.

Both creators have registered copyrights for their kitty creation and have pending trademark applications. Their attorneys allege that since the first Scribblenauts entry in 2009, the game's developers have been using the name and image of both Keyboard Cat and Nyan cat to promote the games.

They may run into some trouble when the case goes to trial, however, considering the first game was released in 2009, and neither copyright was registered until 2010.

I must have missed all of those Nyan Cat and Keyboard Cat commercials promoting the game.

Smues

Smuesicide
Staff member
Reaction score
Damnit Charles you used to be cool. Also, I had no idea that either cat was in the games.

KingPK

KingPK
Reaction score
NFS: MW is 99 cents on Android right now (not sure about iOS) and it isn't bad at all. Using the accelerometer to steer works fine and it looks good.