Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random Thoughts & Topics v2

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
About a year ago my uncle moved to town and gave me a garbage bag with 60 NES games, two NES systems, an N64, a Genesis, and an untold number wires that were not for any system I could match up.

Took apart one of the NES systems due to dried syrup on the top to discover it was probably totally shot, and I couldn't get any of the goop out, but I at least cleared out the roach eggs. I gave the 64, extra NES, and Genesis to a friend since I have all those systems already covered through Retron consoles or having an existing system.

The games, were another story. None of them were hidden gem collector carts worth any significant value. But they were all good games worth revisiting. The problem? Remember the roach eggs in the NES? Those same critters had access to the carts. I did some googling and discovered those system cleaners were nothing more than rubbing alcohol. So I got some Q-tips and alcohol and started about cleaning but in many cases, while the dirt wiped, the rust did not.

I purchased some bits to remove the screws of NES, SNES, and Genesis games and purchased a few other researched products, and before long I had (in my mind) perfected total cleaning including rust and dirt removal, of cartridge based video games. I had all 60 games working as good as new, play tested them on my retron.

Knowing my area has a decent retro following, I set up a little Facebook page for a game cleaning service and got most of my friend's list to like it and a few shared it. I was able to get a few hits from strangers.

To date, I've not had a single paying customer. Oh sure I've had a few friends get cleaning service for free while I perfected it with the 60 games. And I get the occasional message, "Hey man, want to buy some games?" I started out asking $5/game to cover supplies, cleaning time, and the time to play test it. I'd occasionally run "specials" and drop it to $3. A few friends suggested that was too high. So I dropped to $3/game. My specials were now "$1.50/game." I'd even do themes, "With the start of football season all sports games only $1!" Instead I'd get, "Hey man do you know where I can get a power cord for a game cube?"

I've decided to up my game and teach myself how to replace batteries in the old games. I don't want to fuck up my own shit so I put up a post that I was buying damaged, nonworking NES and SNES games that had battery packs. Surely someone wants to MAKE money off of me, right? This idiot right here is buying broken shit.

*crickets*

You know, it felt like a good idea at the time, and all of my gaming friends pumped me up that it was a fantastic idea. Fail.

Hell I even made an excel spreadsheet for large scale orders. Waste of time.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
At least you tried and didn't give up immediately SFH. You'd never have known if you didn't.

Master Thrasher

Seven Time Tetris 99 Champ!
Reaction score
I want to share something strange.

My first foray into fighting games was Street Fighter II on the SNES. I used to rent that game almost every week from Wherehouse Music. When the other versions of II would be released on the SNES, I would rent them. Occasionally I would play them at the arcade. Because technology is much more advanced than in the '90's, arcade perfect versions of these games have been released on many different systems. Okay, here's the point: I prefer the SNES music of SF II to the arcade.

I have the arcade tracks of SF II and I would listen to Bison's theme and go, "This isn't what I remember. It doesn't sound the same." This is correct.

Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72aSGvXeOTs

Now this isn't bad but this one so much deeper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahG2vkrkNww&t

These are Sagat's themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfiYZkZ6Rg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OuiLAjXP1Y

I think SNES version is better than the arcade.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Does anyone else go through random periods of not playing video games? I haven't picked up a game in 3 weeks.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Damaramu said:
Does anyone else go through random periods of not playing video games? I haven't picked up a game in 3 weeks.
I definitely do. I'm either binge watching something on Netflix/Hulu or I'm binge playing a game. I can't seem to bring myself to pay attention to doing both, in addition to work and real-life stuff.

Damaramu

Integral Poster
Reaction score
no fact said:
Damaramu said:
I definitely do. I'm either binge watching something on Netflix/Hulu or I'm binge playing a game. I can't seem to bring myself to pay attention to doing both, in addition to work and real-life stuff.

I find myself being lazy and just watching youtube videos over and over again on the TV.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
My brother-in-law's Japan deployment is coming to a sudden end due to a transfer in August. So instead of the occasional grabbing a Famicom or Super Famicom game to ship me, they are now doing a cram session for both their interests as well as mine.

She's got coming my way: Final Fantasy VI (complete in box), Mario Brothers (not Super), Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World (complete in box), and Hello Kitty (for Mrs. SFH). Sis also got herself a few things and most notably for our overlapping interests Link to the Past. She could only find one copy and she logically deduced since she's the one in Japan it should go to her. To my chagrin, she's right. She also got herself CIB FFVI and SMW. And that was at the smaller store. They still have a bigger one to hit.

So happy to have these editions. I've checked online retailers and yeah I reasonably could have gotten them on Amazon but it's next level cool getting them from Japan from a bargain hunting relative.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
"How much for the Jaguar?" would have sounded so much cooler on a car lot, but I was instead in a retro game shop that refused to sell the system to me.

Turns out it was just the shell and it was decorative. Looking around there was a lot of empty games, controllers, and systems on display in a similar fashion, though the Jaguar was on a shelf. The rest were wall art. That might be a fun project to chase down.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
My brother-in-law's Japan deployment is coming to a sudden end due to a transfer in August. So instead of the occasional grabbing a Famicom or Super Famicom game to ship me, they are now doing a cram session for both their interests as well as mine.

She's got coming my way: Final Fantasy VI (complete in box), Mario Brothers (not Super), Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World (complete in box), and Hello Kitty (for Mrs. SFH). Sis also got herself a few things and most notably for our overlapping interests Link to the Past. She could only find one copy and she logically deduced since she's the one in Japan it should go to her. To my chagrin, she's right. She also got herself CIB FFVI and SMW. And that was at the smaller store. They still have a bigger one to hit.

So happy to have these editions. I've checked online retailers and yeah I reasonably could have gotten them on Amazon but it's next level cool getting them from Japan from a bargain hunting relative.
HpOQBI8.jpg

And she surprised me with "Mother" so yay!

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I was hit up on FB about helping a local lady sell a deceased loved one's old video game stuff (and a few other collectibles). I gave her a fair assessment of what everything would run if working. Didn't hear from her for a few hours.

Then I noticed she was trying to sell other items not discussed in our messages in a fire sale manner, "has to go tomorrow!" So with things kind of tight right now, I offered to her $75 for "the video game stuff, I just need to go to savings tomorrow." She immediately agreed. Said she's leaving for rehab on Wednesday. So now I feel weird. I don't want to take advantage but I was under the impression it was a recently deceased relative and not "I need to get rid of this stuff before I go away for a while."

My initial offer "video game stuff" was off a picture of an original Xbox, an NES, an N64, and an Atari 2600. I later remembered the pictures included two DS systems. So I'll see tomorrow what she interpreted as "video game stuff" and bring a full $100 for my own conscience.

Also, it is my risk if none of it works so there's that.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
https://www.streets4rage.com/

Streets of Rage 4 was just announced. Looks like a slick upgrade of the original which I aprove of.

vivisectvi

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Onimusha: Warlords is being remastered for January! So hyped!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTScT8UucHw

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Saints_Fan_H said:
I was hit up on FB about helping a local lady sell a deceased loved one's old video game stuff (and a few other collectibles). I gave her a fair assessment of what everything would run if working. Didn't hear from her for a few hours.

Then I noticed she was trying to sell other items not discussed in our messages in a fire sale manner, "has to go tomorrow!" So with things kind of tight right now, I offered to her $75 for "the video game stuff, I just need to go to savings tomorrow." She immediately agreed. Said she's leaving for rehab on Wednesday. So now I feel weird. I don't want to take advantage but I was under the impression it was a recently deceased relative and not "I need to get rid of this stuff before I go away for a while."

My initial offer "video game stuff" was off a picture of an original Xbox, an NES, an N64, and an Atari 2600. I later remembered the pictures included two DS systems. So I'll see tomorrow what she interpreted as "video game stuff" and bring a full $100 for my own conscience.

Also, it is my risk if none of it works so there's that.
For $105 I got all of the above, a handheld Monopoly game from 1997, a handheld boxing game from 1979, an Xbox one controller, an Xbox 360 controller, some troll/goblin figure from Pyro and no wires for anything but the N64. The DS systems were actually DSi systems and there were 3 games and a carrying case. After we exchanged money for goods she asked me to bring her to the gas station for cigarettes (she had no car) so I did. She proceeded to have a meltdown in my car about her rehab the next day. She told me she was having to go "For work" because she "works for the DEA" and her cover was blown. I was able to piece together with Google and local paper police reports that she blew the whistle on her dealer and didn't listen to the cops while waiting for the trial and so now she has to go to rehab to make sure she's a reliable witness. Sad stuff.

So far I've sold the Nintendo for $55 (to a friend, I know I could have gotten more) and have a bite on the Xbox tonight. Also someone wants the Xbox 1 for $15. Wife wants us to play the DSis together- she's not a gamer generally so jumping on this chance. Still working on moving the N64. If I can cover my costs with the N64 and 360 controller, I'm keeping the Atari. Which I can't get it working right now, I think power supply is the issue. When I get off tonight, the new power supply is in my mailbox. We'll see.

**********************************************************************************

In unrelated news a friend is giving me an NES, NES games, and a Magnavox Odyssey 3000. Gifts don't get sold. That's my personal policy. That said, the Odyssey is 40 years old. I don't think I'm hooking it up. It's going to be a conversation piece.

Kageho

@DSookochoff
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying NBA 2k19. Anyone play last year's version and was the GM thing as bad as I hear?

...I just need a sports title in my life again.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Twice now this week I drive an hour to sell a fellow gamer a Nintendo 64 that was playing perfect at my home. Upon arrival to his set up it doesn't play. The first system also did not play @ another gamer's home.

Today the 2nd N64 played fine at my home, I make the hour drive, and nothing. The buyer's NES, SNES, Game Cube, and Genesis all work. The N64s keep going shit for brains. I think it's their TV on some level but the first one failing on a 2nd TV is stuck in my craw.

I just acquired them a third one that I need to clean up as the original owner was a fuck wit. We'll see how this goes. I'm just fed up. That money was going to go towards vacation.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
Telltale Games is probably going out of business.
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/327085/Report_The_Walking_Dead_developer_Telltale_Games_closing_down.php

Edit: They laid everyone off except for 25 people.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
That really sucks as they were one of the few developers to still make Adventure Games/Visual Novels.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Speaking of which, the original Ace Attorney Trilogy has been announced as being released in HD for PS4, Switch, 360, and Steam early next year. So if you've never played them before or just want to play them on the big screen, now is the chance to do it.

Kahran Ramsus

Integral Poster
Reaction score
XSEED is releasing PS4 versions of Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2 next year, giving hope that they will also be bringing over 3 & 4.

Master Thrasher

Reaction score
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-09-14-papers-please-devs-insurance-adventure-return-of-the-obra-dinn-arrives-this-autumn