Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
nwa246.jpg

Alexis Laree appreciation.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to Jarrett's podcast (which has quickly superseded JR's as my favorite AFS Universe podcast), I feel like one of the only well thought out things from early TNA was how they made the commentary team feel unique. I think the best announce teams contrast from each other. Even Ed Ferrera, looking like Axl Rose circa the early '00s, even though he was awful did seem like it was a good idea in theory. Kind of.

But Tenay and Don West seem like a team that shouldn't work on paper but absolutely totally does. The straight laced, buttoned up expert and the enthusiastic new fan.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I still remember when the consensus on the old board was that Cole/Tazz were better than Tenay/West. That was a bad take then and it's a bad take now.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
I watched the Styles/Daniels 30-Minute Iron Man match from Against All Odds '06 the other day. There's a spot where AJ is on his knees and Daniels keeps punching him in the face, each one making AJ lean back a little bit more until he's basically doing a Matrix stretch.

That feud was fucking ACE.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Styles/Daniels as a whole might be the best feud they ever did just because of longevity and the matches always being good. That was years of mortal enemies turned partners then forever enemies. Wrestling at its best. When the only black mark is Claire Lynch as a footnote it's the stuff of legends. That was TNA.

Valeyard

Reaction score
He could get his own burgers and not use the buffet like some scrub. Big D is the ultimate success story.

Valeyard

Reaction score
God help me it's the first time I've watched them since it happened but the Flair/Lethal matches are shockingly good. Maybe I'm just in a really giving mood or something.

Lazgistics Supervisor

Reaction score
God help me it's the first time I've watched them since it happened but the Flair/Lethal matches are shockingly good. Maybe I'm just in a really giving mood or something.
Nah, they were pretty damn solid. One thing I've noticed when watching matches from 10+ years ago is how the surplus of MOVEZ MOVEZ MOVEZ in the last decade have made watching even simpler stuff that much more enjoyable. Lethal was hitting a great stride (that his ROH ME run actually hampered, oddly enough) and Flair was still Flair.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
In ring psychology never really goes away until near the end. I'm sure if someone let him have a match, Naitch could still put on a more watchable match than Goldberg or 99% of other 50+ year old wrestlers now. But god please don't let that happen.

I don't think it is talked about nearly enough that Ric Flair had his amazingly durable and lengthy career after nearly dying in a plane crash. It would've been hard to believe if his career lasted 10 years let alone almost 40!

Besides Jeff Jarrett, Jay Lethal's the only wrestler who I think has had his legacy hurt by becoming a regular main eventer. All of the BEST WRESTLER OF HIS GENERATION hype from ROH in the 2010s and IWC backlash to that absurd hype distracted from the fact that he is a damn solid worker. Thankfully, ROH has eased up on pretending he's the GOAT in the past year or two and have just made him a solid veteran workhorse.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Flair's run is just one of those I pretend didn't happen beyond a few segments. Flair never phoned it in and I don't think he'd have even been there if he wasn't under direct contract to Hogan but he did the best with what there was. Without him AJ doesn't break away. But he went pretty far into making Lethal legit, and they actually clicked well. It just sucks how his only personality was someone else.

I liked Lethal and wanted him to stick. ROH got me when he was Joe's star pupil or whatever.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Kinda curious what Daniels or AJ could've gotten out of Maven. But I will live.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Listening to VOW's History of TNA Podcast (and God, 2021 has been a good year strictly if you like podcasts about the history of TNA) and one of the hosts made one of the best comparisons I've ever heard by comparing the '02/'03 Weekly PPVs to stoner comedies. Like objectively speaking, you're not going to say they're good but they're to fun to watch, especially if you're using some chemical altering substances.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I sort of disagree in that there was so much for everyone, from good to ironic, that they were probably legit compelling in every sense. But I find Up In Smoke funny without needing to be stoned, too.