Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Random TNA Bullshit Vol. 2

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dixie secretly hiring Russo under the table is not brought up enough. Bad as it was it's really funny now.
IIRC, wasn't that what finally caused Spike TV to say "You know what? Frig these buttholes!" and cancel them in the Summer of 2014?

I also feel like that era of Impact Wrestling really REALLY would have been helped if they had seen the benefits of focusing on streaming 2-3 years earlier instead of focusing on getting deals on increasingly obscure cable networks. Considering they were putting their shows on the internet in 2005, it's kind of amazing that they couldn't see the forest through the trees a decade later when a lot of people actually could watch stuff online.

Valeyard

Retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Reaction score
I know the ROH streams had their major issues but even they were running shows. I think a few indies were. But they could run Impact on, like, Crackle or something and it would've worked out. Jumped on Twitch or Youtube right before they started becoming huge content streams. Anything would beat Destination America. That deal was the only time I was ever in the old school "they'll be dead in three months" boat.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Destination America era was lowkey one of the weirdest since the beginning of the company. It's bizarre that they went from super excited, hands on (IIRC they were the ones who insisted on replacing Tenay with Josh Matthews), and having a bunch of secondary & tertiary programming to go along with Impact to "Huh. Let's add their main competitor to the network too." to "Get this garbage off our network! We're doubling down on ghosts and sasquatches." all within a 6 to 8 month span.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
@Valeyard 's worst nightmare

To add on to last post and to agree with Vale, after the first year, in retrospect, I think 2014-15 was period where it most seemed like Impact Wrestling was going to die. They'd reach lower points in the late 2010s but it always seemed more like "Oh well. I guess this is where they are now." than "Oh frig. They're doomed!"

Valeyard

Reaction score
I would watch Ruby anywhere in space and time so I could deal. Her and Rosemary winding up on the same show? Dude.

But that era they just felt like they were dead. I can't say enough how bad the shows just visibly looked to me after ten years of being pretty vibrant, like the Impact Zone or not. It was like later-era AWA but in HD. No one felt important anymore, and then the ones who still had something left. Lotta young guys that just couldn't get established because they were on a shitty network with a shitty timeslot. It just takes more than good matches to succeed and I've always been invested in TNA succeeding, but they seriously step on the same rakes over and over.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I reiterate that I really hope Impact has Mike & Don call a match for the 20th Anniversary PPV next June.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
For @Laz and @Valeyard , AEW isn't going to use the studio they used for Impact Zone in TNA's heyday for their Dark tapings. They're going to use the Impact Zone that they used when Impact Wrestling had to move back there at the end of 2013 after Eric Bischoff's failed attempt at taking them on the road. Hope this isn't an omen!

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
@Big Beard Booty Daddy and/or @Fall of Epic, please go to this and ask Disciples of the New Church questions for me.

I have tickets for that convention, so I might just do that. Originally it was supposed ot just be Saturday with Kenny Omega as the main draw, but the AEW PPV was announced for that date. Instead of cancelling and refunding a lot of people a lot fo money, they added Sunday as a special AEW day. They’re bringing in a bunch of AEW wrestlers, no merch tables or other talent, just for that day. Admission is now for both days.

Valeyard

Reaction score
I just wanna acknowledge how much I like both Prime Times getting posted together.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score

It actually looks like a p. good set
FAlQ823WQAAxU9m

Valeyard

Reaction score
Peak burials from Jarrett on there, too. Literally every tag match is ***1/2 minimum though.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I have that, as well as the X-Division release. The tag half is great, and I stand by the 6/25/03 cage match between XXX and AMW being better than their '05 one.

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
I'm decently sure she showed up in '06 as one of the prospects to manage Bobby Roode.

Valeyard

Reaction score
Actually yeah how was she not in SEX?

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I'm decently sure she showed up in '06 as one of the prospects to manage Bobby Roode.
You're confusing her with Sherri Martel.

Missy seemed like a natural fit for the SEX angle but I'm guessing Missy burned so many bridges that even TNA didn't want to bring her in. It doesn't look like she worked v. much from the late '90s through the mid 2010s. Now I think all of her contemporaries are dead, retired, or too old to care

Valeyard

Reaction score
I liked her a lot at the end of ECW, when she still had most of her face, but I'm very forgiving about her becoming the incredible plastic woman.

Sherri would've ruled too, looking back. There's a lot of places she could've fit in my mind. Sherri with Triple X, Sherri with Beer Money, Sherri doing anything with Lethal. Nothing overly involved but if it were up to me Sherri would've been on TV from 1987 to her death because I loved her.

Valeyard

Reaction score
They just needed to be happy as #2 and none of the last ten years would've happened. Fucking Dixie.

Was afraid that was a commercial for their legendary Best Damn Sports Show Period event.

Laz

Reaction score
Not even a happy #2, just be happy that they were offering stuff that WWE couldn't. Their best periods of show quality were when they offered simpler, more strategic booking that paid off and offered some great matches along the way. 2005-2006, that brief 3-4 month period at the end of 2009, even the Prichard days were all varying degrees of good to great pro wrestling TV, and they always had to ruin it by getting too cute or trying to be too extravagant with the shows.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
See absolute dumbest thing is that Spike TV was an extremely supportive broadcasting partner and according to Bischoff, spent tons of of their own money trying to help the promotion. But like Panda Energy got into wrestling to diversify their portfolio and give sweet little Dixie something to do then never really figured out what they wanted to do beyond that.

Lord knows it's easy to make fun of Spike TV and their programming choices but if they weren't a major cable network, they definitely were willing to spend the money to make it seem like they were like a major cable network and TNA blew it continuously with them.

Laz

Reaction score
Spike TV was "manly shows for men" curated and collected by the types that had frosted tips, listened to Saliva, and wore Ed Hardy shirts. The "we're manly alpha males" guys that would hide behind their girlfriends if somebody at a bar actually stood up.

In hindsight, it should've been, like, a bunch of gritty cop dramas and action movie re-runs. Instead of another 1000 Ways to Die marathon.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Although occasionally controversial, Spike TV is responsible for some great bold ideas like Blade The Series Ren & Stimpy's Adult Party Cartoon Striperellauh...ykw Bar Rescue can be a very fun show.

Last edited: