Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Randy Moss: "I'm the best WR ever...." (Rice not his second choice...)

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6

Discuss....

I'd say Moss was the most dominant force I saw play in spurts, but Jerry Rice did it year in and year out forever. Moss flaked out.

Staff member
Reaction score
He's wrong, period. He's just wrong. Jerry Rice was catching 90 balls at 40 years old while Randy Moss was in the ESPN studio eating hamburgers at that age. The guy left San Francisco as an old man and went and dominated for some other team.

I would go so far as to say Jerry Rice was the greatest offensive football player ever.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jerry Rice is the #1 person in his sport of any sport. Jerry Rice in football is more impressive than any other #1 of any other sport, in my opinion. Babe Ruth was great at baseball, Michael Jordan was #1 in basketball, Gretzky was #1 in hockey, but I put Rice as my #1 athlete in a purely emotional selection.

HarleyQuinn

Laugh This Off... Puddin'!
Staff member
Reaction score
For me it goes Ruth 1A > Gretzky 1B > Jordan > Rice. Ruth was literally hitting more home runs than entire teams in an era when ballparks were not favorable to the home run even with a "live" ball. Even at 38 and 39 years old, Ruth hit 34 and 22 HR. Gretzky is Gretzky and he had good talent around him but he was putting up almost 70-80+ more points than the 2nd place finishers including Lemieux... even in the dead puck era, Gretzky was well over a PPG including 102 in 80 GP in 1995.

People really underrate Gretzky in the GOATs sometimes. He has almost 100 more goals than Gordie Howe and over 800 more Assists than Ron Francis who's in 2nd place... and Gretzky retired after his age 38 season so it's not like he was playing into his mid 40s.

Moss was an athletic freak but Rice was such a hard worker that he could put up 1100+ seasons at 39 and 40 years old. Rice also was catching 60-70% of passes in years where he was seeing 150+ targets while Moss was routinely in the mid 50s and he dogged it in Oakland, period, so that really hurts his case.

Reactions: SFH

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I would say Gretzky is best player to ever play any sport. Also what about Pele, you uncultured Americans???

Also where do individual sports play in this discussion? Do we want @BruiserBrody to come in here and ramble about Jim Thorpe?

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Randy Moss, Calvin Johnson, and even D.K. Metcalf are the biggest WR talents I've ever seen, but gimmie results over all that. Rice's insane career numbers weren't just the product of hanging around a long time, dude was a legit Pro Bowler more than 15 years into his career.

I do believe more people than you'd think would prefer Moss in a one-game situation, or even when comparing whole careers. I suspect it would be mainly guys who are now around early 20s (kids when Moss was with the Pats) to early 30s (kids when Moss was a Viking). Guys who loved the swag, the Madden games, the "Mossed" highlight reels.

Mickey Massuco

wipeoff
Reaction score
Rice is obviously better but I don’t know why people take athletes so seriously when they talk about themselves. It’s like when Kobe said his Dream Team was better than the 92 team, they’re just trying to hype themselves up.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
Rice is obviously better but I don’t know why people take athletes so seriously when they talk about themselves. It’s like when Kobe said his Dream Team was better than the 92 team, they’re just trying to hype themselves up.
Same reason people post on message boards. It's ultimately a waste of time, but fun??