Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Religious News: So How's the Catholic Church Doing?

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
http://fortune.com/2018/08/26/vigano-letter-allegations-pope-francis-knew-of-abuse/

http://Archbishop Carlo Maria Viganò, a former Vatican diplomat in Washington, alleges in a letter published Sunday that Pope Francis knew about the sexual abuse committed by a top American clergyman years before he was publicly disgraced.

The allegations come just days after Francis denounced the Church’s history of abuse in a letter to all Catholics. The letter was published during Francis’s trip to Ireland, the same day he again addressed victims of abuse and said “I beg the Lord’s forgiveness for these sins.”

In a 11-page personal testimony, Viganò, a longtime critic of Francis, asserts several top Vatican officials (including Francis’s predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI) knew of the abuses committed by Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick, a former archbishop of Washington, D.C., but allowed him to continue in his religious practice.

The whole document is worth reading. The assertion that BOTH living Popes knew about it and allowed it to continue is really big and obviously disgusting.

For those who haven't been following the latest scandal, https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/14/us/pennsylvania-catholic-church-grand-jury/index.html this is a decent overview

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Part of me wonders if this (accusing Francis of knowing) isn't a ploy to remove him. He's had really liberal ideas and made statements that has rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. A lot of these Baby Boomers and older that act like Vatican II never happened and still adhere to "no meat on Friday" all year. They're scared the next thing he'll do is allow homosexual marriage, priest marriage, or blow up any other archaic things that they're trying to finger him on something horrific to get rid of him.

Gen X Catholics and younger that haven't given up on religion have been impressed by this Pope and he's inspired a few to return to the church. But BAH GAWD we still need to control dem dere abominations and this pope is ruining that for them so let's use this terrible abuse and since it's not going away, stick him in it too.

I've got my issues with the church in 2018 and there's a long way for them to go, but efforts are being made in some areas to fix the image. I do give them some credit for TRYING to fix it but the practice of just moving priests and covering it up is unforgivable.

cobainwasmurdered

Waiting for Kamala to honour bets since June 2020
Staff member
Reaction score
I really don't think so because they're also accusing Benedict. Also Francis was in a position to know and he's been accused of knowing a lot of this stuff long before he became Pope.

SFH

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Fair enough.

I'm just happy that gay marriage is legal while my ex-nun step-Grandma is still alive. Judgmental old ass.

I just bought a pride friendly shirt that may be what I wear next time I go help with yard work.

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/defrocked-jersey-priest-who-molested-boys-now-teaches-kids-english-n980716

Money quote:
"I don't see the children with those eyes anymore," DeFrias said in an extensive interview outside the Colegio del Caribe school in Punta Cana, where he watched over dozens of young boys and girls while shielding himself from the sun with an umbrella.

“For me they are children and they need to be treated like children because that is what they are,” he said. “I don’t feel the attraction. I am not telling you that maybe someday it won’t be there, because I can’t predict the future.”

BruiserBrody

Integral Poster
Reaction score
[quote author=BRODY link=topic=7317.msg606823#msg6
The Associated Press also found that tens of millions of dollars went to dioceses whose financial stress was due not simply to the pandemic, but also to recent payouts to victims of clergy sex abuse.

snuffbox

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The actual pedo cult attacks guy attached to unbelievably dumb conspiracy theory. Hell yeah it's American.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Heaven forbid the Catholic Church embrace the one good thing that's happened to them in the USA in the past 50 years.