Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

Ring of Honor in 2020 (and beyond?): 18 Years Old and Barely Stable!

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I am listening to the ROH podcast and EC3 is on. They talked about how him and Shane Taylor both came from the Cleveland indy scene so I'm guessing that's why Shane's EC3's first rival. They talked more about the Briscoes. I'd almost be willing to bet American doll hairs that he turns on them and him Vs Jay Briscoe is what is his actual first feud in ROH.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Now @Laz hates ROH and Bill Moseley

• Haha
Reactions: Laz

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Jon Gresham won the pure title which makes the most sense. Good tournament. Hoping ROH can keep up the momentum.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Jon Gresham won the pure title which makes the most sense. Good tournament. Hoping ROH can keep up the momentum.
I don't usually watch ROH, as it's not on a time and channel that's convenient for me, and I keep forgetting to DVR it. That's the little dude with the squid mask, right?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Representing Blacks Without Soul since 1975
Reaction score
Yeah, he's pretty good. Since I've barely ever seen him wrestle, though, I mostly think of him as the guy who's married to Jordynne Grace.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
This implies that some sort of announcement will be made about Final Battle this weekend. Tbh, barring ROH's creative completely shitting the bed in the next 6 to 8 weeks, I'll order. Pure Title Tournament was friggin great.

Only hesitancy (and thing that makes me think they MAY shit the bed besides the fact it's Delirious booked ROH) is that any non tournament segment was easily the worst part of the show for the episodes since they've returned.

RedJed

Rasslin' Rambler
Reaction score
So I felt like the ROH show this weekend was so much better than the first week of content since the Pure Tournament ended. I was starting to get concerned that ROH would go back to a dull presentation and product, but it seems to be back on track a bit with two solid matches, and a clear build to a strong show next week as well.

I really enjoyed the storytelling they presented for Kenny King and Shane Taylor, a match that did NOTHING for me until they did the very well produced vignettes on both talents, talking about their history and connection. This was a solid match too that really put over Taylor in a strong way.

EC3 and Jay Briscoe building to next week works for me. Should be a solid main.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Watching this week’s show now. Did anyone else get New Generation era WWF vibes with presentation of promos? Not an insult (remember it’s me posting).

This episode also managed the impossible and made me kind of care about Shane Taylor. Presentation of these shows is just so good (not just New Generation aspects).

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
The Hurricane wrestled an inexplicably long "Hero Vs Villain" match with Marty Scurll at the last TV taping that The Elite were at the end of 2018.

It was one of those things that would've been a really fun 5-7 minute comedy match but it was a 12 to 15 minute serious match and as much as I love Shane, he really doesn't have that in him anymore! Also if only we knew in late 2018 how much Marty would love up to that Villain moniker.

Speaking of Danhausen, ROH is doing an angle where Danhausen isn't officially signed unless he wins a match before the end of 2020. I'm can almost guarantee he gets squashed on several upcoming episodes of ROHTV before upsetting a big heel at Final Battle. I feel like ROH has done that angle multiple times just since I started watching 3 or 4 years ago.

Baby Shoes

Baby Shoes
Reaction score
I feel like the Mike Bennett return to wave Matt Taven would’ve had the same crowd response as it did on the show

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Mike Bennett's best career moment was spearing a number of undercard guys at an XWA show in Cranston, RI while singing Edge's theme song.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I think best thing I can say about an 2/3rd of the OG Kingdom reunion is that at least it combines a bunch of guys I don't care about in one storyline. Stick angry teen EC3 and Shane Taylor in there too while you're at it.

Also is it true that TK O'Ryan has been forced to retire cause of his concussion and leg injury history? That's too bad cause I know RI indy fans like @Laz said he was star of the group but I never really got chance to see him shine.

Laz

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
If that's true then yeah, damn shame. I was a fan from the first moment he walked out from the curtain. He was barely a year into the business then and he had an aura to him that even that night's main events, Samoa Joe and Chris Dickinson, didn't. Very Piper-esque before joining the Kingdom.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Jay’s a hard guy to have a truly bad match against but both post WWE run EC3 matches I have watched left a lot to be desired.

Big Beard Booty Daddy

Canadian Destroyer213
Reaction score
Pre WWE, EC3 wasn't anything special in the ring. He was great on the mic, and very charismatic. Now with his new character, he has an even slower, methodical style, and it's not very good.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
I’m two weeks behind but John Walters making a comeback is random as hell.

Someone in ROH creative must have been reading me and @Laz ’s conversations about ‘00s New England indy wrestling and been like “Hmm...these guys might be onto something...”

Epic Springs

Epic Reine
Reaction score
Walters was supposed to work that ROH nostalgia show that was supposed to take place right as the pandemic really hit so I guess he was going to return regardless. I'm actually pretty sad that show never happened. Would have been the last time we saw Xavier :(