Chat! culturecrossfire.slack.com

RIP Paul Mooney

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Dead of a heart attack today at the age of 79. An unsung influence to stand up comedy. His work directly influenced every African American comic from Richard Pryor to Dave Chappelle (and probably on from that). Glad I got to see him live in 2010 in New York City and give him a fist bump. There were disclaimers all over the club saying how there were NO REFUNDS due to people walking out over racially provocative material. GTs

Last edited:

MFer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Didn't realize he was that old, but it makes sense considering he worked with Pryor. He always spoke truth to power, RIP.

strummer

Integral Poster
Reaction score
RIP

A few months ago I heard Eddie tell a story that Mooney wanted to fight him because he thought .Eddie stole some of his material in a standup routine. I think Eddie was only 18 or 19 at the time so Mooney was around 40.

He was a fearless performer

Lazgistics Supervisor

Making dumb observations since 2002
Reaction score
Holy shit, I didn't realize how old he was. Always a riot whenever he would show up in things, and I'm torn between his Bamboozled scenes and the Chappelle Show work as my favorite work.

King Kamala

Integral Poster
Reaction score
Another fun fact: Homey The Clown was based on Paul Mooney.

One of my favorite Mooney stories is him visiting the writer room for MADtv for some reason and the producer is like "Welcome Mr. Mooney. Have you seen any of our show?" and he responds "Yeah. I seen it. Y'all keep stealing' all of my shit!"